March 24, 2019, 07:11:22 AM

Author Topic: January transfer window  (Read 51122 times)

January 12, 2019, 07:39:59 PM
Reply #450

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Tbf to Allardyce Tosun did well under him, and Walcott was decent too.  The issue is neither seems suited to Silva's system.

Not sure you can blame Allardyce as they were the right players for him.  You could maybe blame the board for sanctioning the deals, but we needed those signings to stay out of trouble.

I'd say no one is really to blame personally, they made an impact when we bought them, and now probably both need to be moved on.

Short term panic signings.

Did well initially but 12 months down the road and weíre looking to sell tosun, with Walcott being the weak link in the team.

Walcott is perfectly suited to silvaís system imo but isnít good enough anymore.

Tosun is just a plodder who should never have been bought.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 12, 2019, 07:53:23 PM
Reply #451

Gash

Global Moderator
Not sure you can blame Allardyce as they were the right players for him.  You could maybe blame the board for sanctioning the deals, but we needed those signings to stay out of trouble.

Not sure we really needed them to stay out of trouble, we were up to ninth by the beginning of January, if anything Allardyce's reasonable start went downhill after we signed them. He won four in December then only another six the rest of the season. Tosun scored four and Walcott three and both had braces as well so two and one for the rest of the games.

This is where comparing last season to this doesn't really matter until the end of the season, for all Allardyce's talk (and some fans) we actually had a really grim second half of the season and the good work was all done between beating West Ham and drawing with Bournemouth after that it all became a bit of a mess.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:56:07 PM by Gash »

January 12, 2019, 08:04:21 PM
Reply #452

kramer0

After Unsworth stumbled on a midfield grouping that worked, keeping us up was a pretty straightforward task.

With Gana/Davies/Rooney doing a solid job in the middle, we could have gotten roughly the same results for the rest of the season using Lennon/Lookman/Vlasic on the right and Calvert-Lewin at CF.

Instead, we brought in Allardyce to fuck around with the midfield (how many Gana/Schneiderlin minutes do Everton managers need to see before they stop trying it?) and spend a bunch of money on players who didn't really move the needle for us long-term.

It was all panic-driven and it's costing us opportunities to add to our squad now.

To clarify -- Unsworth had to go (he was all over the place tactically, it was horrifying, and there was no guarantee that he would have stuck with what he stumbled on against West Ham) but the fact that we paid Allardyce a ton of money to throw that blueprint away after a couple of matches (leading to dire performances) and let him add new players to a squad that didn't need them was incredibly wasteful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:07:49 PM by kramer0 »

January 12, 2019, 08:14:35 PM
Reply #453

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure we really needed them to stay out of trouble, we were up to ninth by the beginning of January, if anything Allardyce's reasonable start went downhill after we signed them. He won four in December then only another six the rest of the season. Tosun scored four and Walcott three and both had braces as well so two and one for the rest of the games.

This is where comparing last season to this doesn't really matter until the end of the season, for all Allardyce's talk (and some fans) we actually had a really grim second half of the season and the good work was all done between beating West Ham and drawing with Bournemouth after that it all became a bit of a mess.

Yes thatís why the ďsame point as last yearĒ isnít that big a deal.

We were in a decent position to push on and have a fairly decent points total - but didnít.

Re Walcott heís just not played well this season.

Heís been in decent positions but not finished as well as it might have been expected.

January 12, 2019, 08:21:34 PM
Reply #454

Lxxx

Walcott looks very much a conference player, which is a pretty sad indictment for a lad who is nearly 30 and has as much experience as he has.

January 12, 2019, 08:59:05 PM
Reply #455

Jamokachi

Walcott looks very much a conference player, which is a pretty sad indictment for a lad who is nearly 30 and has as much experience as he has.

Why is it?

January 12, 2019, 09:00:56 PM
Reply #456

blue1948

Spellcheck?

January 12, 2019, 09:04:17 PM
Reply #457

Alanvideo

...................he'd be outstanding down there mate  lolol
We are special ,we are Everton.

January 12, 2019, 09:07:06 PM
Reply #458

School of Science

Spellcheck?

Actually the way Walcott has performed this season, he's not far wrong  :P
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

January 12, 2019, 10:36:15 PM
Reply #459

Mayor Farnum

We don't move the ball quickly enough to get the best of Walcott's strengths.

As for Cenk; I seem to remember Allardyce getting criticism for not playing him enough.

January 12, 2019, 11:03:55 PM
Reply #460

BlueBeagle

As for Cenk; I seem to remember Allardyce getting criticism for not playing him enough.

In the 1st few weeks after he'd arrived yeah, after that I'm certain he started the majority of games

January 12, 2019, 11:06:12 PM
Reply #461

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
In defence of Cenk -

He took a run of games to get going last year, and when he did he showed a nice range of finishes.

We donít make very good chances so most strikers would struggle.

Playing him as a target man helps get the best out of Theo, and he isnít particularly worse than Dom at that, just older and unlikely to get better.

He shoots a lot more than Dom which is good.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 12, 2019, 11:10:32 PM
Reply #462

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Tosun is far from a terrible player he's just not good enough for were we are heading and we paid too much

January 12, 2019, 11:11:04 PM
Reply #463

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
In defence of Cenk -

He took a run of games to get going last year, and when he did he showed a nice range of finishes.

We donít make very good chances so most strikers would struggle.

Playing him as a target man helps get the best out of Theo, and he isnít particularly worse than Dom at that, just older and unlikely to get better.

He shoots a lot more than Dom which is good.

Yes based on that start it looks like heís someone who needs to play all the time or his sharpness drops off really quickly.

He doesnít have the pace to accommodate that.

January 12, 2019, 11:15:10 PM
Reply #464

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes based on that start it looks like heís someone who needs to play all the time or his sharpness drops off really quickly.

He doesnít have the pace to accommodate that.

No. So much easier if a player just has some base positives like great technique, speed or athleticism. Can smooth over the rough form until they start scoring again to some extent.

Cenk doesnít have a great prem build or speed, and seems to thrive on goals more than anything.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.