March 21, 2019, 04:05:44 PM

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 1118 times)

December 31, 2018, 10:44:15 PM
Read 1118 times

blue1948

It has become absolutely laughable the awards going to the perceived top 6 Did you see Arsenals last game ?The sooner we get VAR the better as it will be there for all to see ,yes there will be the same bias originally but when it is thrown out in the open let us hope it changes for the better .

December 31, 2018, 11:06:57 PM
Reply #1

Simon Paul

Administrator
the thing is though, that pundits and "experts" have spent the first half of this season justifying the decisions going in favour of those clubs - the Salah dive is a prime example....."there was contact so it's a penalty"

VAR will do exactly the same.

If there is contact, the penalty will be given.  VAR gave a couple of penalties in the World Cup that you'd go "ahhh yeah I suppose but come on lads, get up" and there'll be plenty more of that in the Premier League next season, and you can bet it won't be Everton that benefit from the soft decisions in the main.

players will go down more, at least to begin with, and there will be penalties in almost every game - it was a pretty safe bet in the World Cup that you could get decent odds on a penalty in any game during the first 20 or so games, then the bookies got onto it.

it will give the opportunity to create a more level playing field, but in reality it will ensure that decisions for the perceived "big clubs" will be protected and given all the same, and perhaps even more, because we're still relying on the same cohort of referees that are available now.

December 31, 2018, 11:14:33 PM
Reply #2

blue1948

I don't share your pessimism ,so I hope you are not right .But the amount of money in the game now for me should be a swaying factor .There must be a way of making a level playing field -excuse the pun.
When we had our hey day in the 70,s I don't remember anything like this bias .Of course I would have been biased but the press would have picked up on it .I truly think it is changing the game for the worse whether that is more than the ridiculous money players are paid or not is another debate I suppose.It is not the game I grew up watching.

January 01, 2019, 03:26:18 AM
Reply #3

gizzblue

Gonna benefit the top six even more .....they will be able to contest any decision that actually goes against them too .

Just can't see how it will change fuck all .....if Salah is not getting retrospective action after two shitty obvious soft shit dives ...the same useless fucking referees will just award him every single tap or touch resulting in his knees buckling next year .. ..likewise the rest of the top six .
Born not made a blue .

January 01, 2019, 03:53:03 AM
Reply #4

Mayor Farnum

VAR will benefit the big clubs in the long run. They have the ball more and are in the oppositions box more often. We tend to remember decisions going against the lesser clubs more because they give the impression as pivotal moments as they may have contributed to an upset.
Decisions that go against the big clubs are less noticed as in most cases it will only have compounded the result.
There is a reason why the big clubs will not oppose VAR.

January 01, 2019, 06:36:55 AM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

I think VAR will just improve the number of correct decisions, as it’s designed to.

I think the stuff about it benefitting the big clubs is a load of old conspiratorial tosh, tbh.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 01, 2019, 06:37:58 AM
Reply #6

WeimaranerBlues

anyone know how var is going to work the offfside goals that get flagged and the goalie see's the flaG makes no attempt player puts the ball in the net.   Giroud was flagged against palace and it was marginal (called off at the time)  shot and scored ,  now would they go back look at it

going to be loads of instances ,    strikers might as well shoot every time,  and goalies will have to attempt to save all shots   -    i can see less work for lino's they might as well not flag it up if they think fuck it VAR will correct it anyway

btw i might be pissed writing this 

Happy New Year
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:43:27 AM by WeimaranerBlues »

January 01, 2019, 12:38:24 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think VAR will just improve the number of correct decisions, as it’s designed to.

I think the stuff about it benefitting the big clubs is a load of old conspiratorial tosh, tbh.

I think there is an assumption by many that it will reduce favouritism rather than increase it.

As you say, all that will happen is that the “correct” decisions will increase, not the ratios of who does or doesn’t benefit.

Because decisions to award fouls are subjective (is there intent, is there enough contact, have they been impeded etc.) that won’t change.

A possible area for change is offsides as they are much closer to a definitive position.

It would be interesting to see some stats on “wrong” offside goals over the last 5 seasons say and what patterns emerge.

I think for us this season we’d have seen second goal at Arsenal disallowed, so probably still lost, Son’s second the other day, so probably still lost.

On other side, Richarlison’s vs Watford so maybe we’d be a point down there.

Limited sample there of course but it’s possibly backing up the point made before that the better teams will have more “wrong decisions” ruled out that don’t effect the scoreline simply because they’re attacking more (eg they normally get more pens).

Not cheating or conspiracy, just the way it is.

But not a panacea for bias that many hope/ expect it will be.

January 01, 2019, 02:00:06 PM
Reply #8

Simon Paul

Administrator
anyone know how var is going to work the offfside goals that get flagged and the goalie see's the flaG makes no attempt player puts the ball in the net.   Giroud was flagged against palace and it was marginal (called off at the time)  shot and scored ,  now would they go back look at it

going to be loads of instances ,    strikers might as well shoot every time,  and goalies will have to attempt to save all shots   -    i can see less work for lino's they might as well not flag it up if they think fuck it VAR will correct it anyway

btw i might be pissed writing this 

Happy New Year
As in the world cup, assistant referees will be told not to flag a marginal decision so that play continues and var can check it

January 02, 2019, 03:17:40 AM
Reply #9

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
As in the world cup, assistant referees will be told not to flag a marginal decision so that play continues and var can check it

Just like in rugby - if a pass is marginally forward or someone potentially in front of the kicker the refs play on to see how it pans out then go back and look.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

January 03, 2019, 06:13:47 PM
Reply #10

sirblue57

I don't share your pessimism ,so I hope you are not right .But the amount of money in the game now for me should be a swaying factor .There must be a way of making a level playing field -excuse the pun.
When we had our hey day in the 70,s I don't remember anything like this bias .Of course I would have been biased but the press would have picked up on it .I truly think it is changing the game for the worse whether that is more than the ridiculous money players are paid or not is another debate I suppose.It is not the game I grew up watching.
<cough.. clive cunt thomas... >
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

January 03, 2019, 09:20:20 PM
Reply #11

blue1948

<cough.. clive cunt thomas... >

Yes there will be times but they will be seen by everyone on Tv so I hope it will be fairer than now.

January 05, 2019, 07:27:44 PM
Reply #12

Cereal Killer

Still shit if the refs don't know what the fuck they're doing

Why did the Burnley pen get overturned just as he was about to take it? For offside by player who wasn't interfering with play?

Sigh

January 05, 2019, 07:35:50 PM
Reply #13

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Just let the goal stand ffs
Simply simply lovely

January 05, 2019, 08:43:32 PM
Reply #14

Mayor Farnum

Is there VAR being used in the FA Cup this season? Something I've just heard on the radio suggests it will be used in selected ties. Seems wrong to have games in the same competition being played under different rules.