October 14, 2019, 02:59:22 AM

Author Topic: Why did you choose to support Everton  (Read 4008 times)

January 02, 2019, 03:15:19 PM
Read 4008 times

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Omar made an interesting comment in the match thread “beginning to think I chose to support the wrong club in the pool”  made me think how many times people say to you why did you choose to support Everton ? O.k. I guess for most of us it’s in the family, i.e. in mine it’s three generations that I know of and I was taken to my first match age 5 and you don’t change after that but what are the other reasons especially for our younger supporters who have never seen us win a tin pot compared to our neighbours ?

January 02, 2019, 03:29:32 PM
Reply #1

Hawkandro

My Dad was a season ticket holder in the 70's, gave it up when I was born in 79 as he didn't have the time, so I was brought up an Everton fan.

My 3 year old has no real interest in football though, doesn't like watching it whenever I put it on. Can't blame him really at present!
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

January 02, 2019, 03:57:10 PM
Reply #2

Shogun

Administrator
Can confidently say I’ve never ever wished I supported the shite.

January 02, 2019, 03:59:14 PM
Reply #3

gizzblue

We're born into it ....we don't choose ....why would anybody choose us😅😅.
Born not made a blue .

January 02, 2019, 04:01:42 PM
Reply #4

sam of the south

I did not choose I was chosen
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 02, 2019, 04:10:17 PM
Reply #5

eyesalwaysblue

Family goes back to 1870 in Everton district on me old fella's side, but me mum's side were Bootle area reds, so i could have gone red but it never crossed me mind..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 02, 2019, 04:11:33 PM
Reply #6

TSGun

I'm not ashamed to say I chose to support Everton. Anyone who has taken the time to read any of my posts would know I have no historical connection with the club, through family or otherwise.

It's all thanks to the 1986 FA Cup final. In those days in Australia the cup was the only direct entire broadcast of any football game, World Cup aside, in the entire year. The Australian cultural elite considered football a game for 'wogs and poofters', apologies for any offense but that really was the majority view at the time, and not worthy of much attention. Australian Rules football was the game for real men which, ironically, consists predominantly of groups of males rolling around on the ground in close proximity to each other and a list of surnames originating from every corner of the planet. Anyway I do digress.

I joined a group of mates to stay up and watch the game. All chose the other team to support so being a naturally rebellious individual the only option for me was Everton. There's no reason to bring up the result but it's fair to say I went home angry, frustrated and a little sad. It was probably due more to injured pride but for some reason beyond my comprehension I began keeping tabs on the club from that point on and my fate was sealed.

For the most part I'm still seeking redemption. :)

January 02, 2019, 04:14:55 PM
Reply #7

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
My dad has been going to the match since he was a nipper. So ultimately it wasnt a choice for me. However, when i was about 6/7 i decided i would support Liverpool. HAHA probably just to be difficult. My poor dad.

Anyway he started to take me to Everton games when i was about 7/8, and i remember cheering when Liverpool were winning (when they said the half time scores)

I slowly started to love Everton though, even though we were shit. I remember McAlisters free kick, it felt like someone had shot me :( i remember Carsleys goal, and feeling like i could fly. I remember Rooneys first goal and when he picked the ball up, my dad leaning in to me and saying, 'just watch, he is going to put this in the top corner' and i looked at my dad in awe as we celebrated.

I just naturally went back to Everton. They are the love of my life unfortunately. My dad is my hero and i cherish all those years we went the game. Every weekend just me and my dad, so special.
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

January 02, 2019, 04:17:10 PM
Reply #8

eyesalwaysblue

My dad has been going to the match since he was a nipper. So ultimately it wasnt a choice for me. However, when i was about 6/7 i decided i would support Liverpool. HAHA probably just to be difficult. My poor dad.

Anyway he started to take me to Everton games when i was about 7/8, and i remember cheering when Liverpool were winning (when they said the half time scores)

I slowly started to love Everton though, even though we were shit. I remember McAlisters free kick, it felt like someone had shot me :( i remember Carsleys goal, and feeling like i could fly. I remember Rooneys first goal and when he picked the ball up, my dad leaning in to me and saying, 'just watch, he is going to put this in the top corner' and i looked at my dad in awe as we celebrated.

I just naturally went back to Everton. They are the love of my life unfortunately. My dad is my hero and i cherish all those years we went the game. Every weekend just me and my dad, so special.

Iv'e got post Chrimbo depression and you just made me sob...

January 02, 2019, 04:21:44 PM
Reply #9

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

January 02, 2019, 04:30:56 PM
Reply #10

Heath

Pure Karma. I obviously did something really bad in a past life, now Everton is my punishment in this life.

January 02, 2019, 04:32:54 PM
Reply #11

Paddockoldie

It's my dad's fault but I remember going to Anfield with a mate and his dad when they were winning everything. I felt nothing, but I knew when I went to Goodison I was home. I've cried over this club in the lows and the highs. My kids are Mancs and one told me he supports City but he lives with his mum so doesn't have the daily connection. My youngest is a blue but struggles with how bad we are at times.. I explain to him that it's what's in your heart. He smiled and nodded.. That made me chin go that. I'm a blue, end of.

January 02, 2019, 04:39:55 PM
Reply #12

Martip

I like pain, suffering and embarrassment  ;D

January 02, 2019, 04:48:25 PM
Reply #13

blue1948

Taken by my uncle as a baby ,and that was that .I lived nearer to Goodison but not by much .Went to both grounds in the early 70's with a few Glasgow lads from work but never wanted to be a red ,I simply hate the way the supporters feel entitled .Not sad to be a blue having seen us win a fair bit but it is hard now especially for the ones who haven't .Will be blue and proud 'til I pop me clogs .

January 02, 2019, 04:50:09 PM
Reply #14

eyesalwaysblue

I like pain, suffering and embarrassment  ;D
But the days in the sun are sweeter.