October 20, 2019, 11:33:49 PM

Author Topic: Southampton v Everton  (Read 12343 times)

January 16, 2019, 01:16:28 AM
Read 12343 times

Gash

Global Moderator
In before the "huge" shout.

Think this might be quite a tough game, Hasenhuttl seems to have steadied the ship a little with a couple of decent results against Chelsea and Leicester.

January 16, 2019, 01:23:42 AM
Reply #1

Mayor Farnum

They need the points more than us. Ultimately that will be the deciding factor.
Something clever written by someone else.

January 16, 2019, 01:31:58 AM
Reply #2

Blue Lagoon

NSNO Subscriber
Think we’ll win this. They’re much improved but they’ll play for a win at home and I think our quality will eventually show. Maybe 1-0 or 2-1 to us I think

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
(Zoolander)

January 16, 2019, 01:39:51 AM
Reply #3

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Quality manager is Ralph. Got them pressing high and hard and they have plenty of quality in and around the first eleven.

Would like to win of course, but can see this being a struggle.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 16, 2019, 01:49:09 AM
Reply #4

eyesalwaysblue

God knows what to expect in this one.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 16, 2019, 02:19:07 AM
Reply #5

eugene

As long as it’s not a repeat of last season ffs

January 16, 2019, 03:02:32 AM
Reply #6

sam of the south

Pickford
          Coleman Keane Zouma Digne
                        Gana Gomes
          Richarlison Bernard Lookman
                              DCL

Stekelenburg, Kenny, Mina, Sigurdsson, Davies, Walcott, Tosun

Southampton 1-3 Everton
Bernard, Lookman, DCL

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 16, 2019, 03:47:01 AM
Reply #7

BlueForYou

Three centre backs, so Mina in, plus Sigurdsson

DCL and Lookman on bench

0-0

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 16, 2019, 03:52:45 AM
Reply #8

D15TIN

Don't really know what to expect in this, if we play to our best we'll win, will we though? Probably not.

They've improved a little under the new manager

We really need to win this to get back towards 7th, our record there is terrible over the last decade or so. Austin is suspended I think? He usually scores against us.

------------Pickford
Coleman Zouma Keane Digne
--------------Gana
-------Gomes Sigurdsson
--Lookman Richarlison Bernard

* Sigurdsson needs to come deep, and get more involved in games, I think DCL is better from the bench, and richarlison caused Bournemouth some problems with his pace and persistence, id persist with him upfront.

Think this game screams 1-1. Hope they attack us and we can break, we should be beating them, but just not overly confident we will.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:54:01 AM by D15TIN »

January 16, 2019, 04:18:46 AM
Reply #9

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'd go

Pickford
Keane mina zouma
Coleman Gana gomes digne
Lookman richarlison Bernard
Simply simply lovely

January 16, 2019, 04:22:51 AM
Reply #10

Bluedylan

Fan of Hassenhutl.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

January 16, 2019, 04:34:06 AM
Reply #11

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Simply simply lovely

January 16, 2019, 04:56:38 AM
Reply #12

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He’s got his lads fired up like.

We need to get a grip of this early doors or their confidence will grow and ours will inevitably diminish.

January 16, 2019, 05:06:24 AM
Reply #13

kramer0

Hassenhüttl seems to be good at making his teams a pain in the ass to play against. This is a good article with some bits about his defensive approach at Leipzig (defending deeper, not pressuring the ball until it reaches the midfield):

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/12/15/13924976/rb-leipzig-bundesliga-title-naby-keita

I'd like to see more of that from us, frankly.

I know the idea of a high press is really popular right now because so many top sides play that way but it's a lot of work to implement it (in terms of coaching and getting the right players) and if you're not good at it (e.g. us), it can leave you badly exposed at the back.

A mid-block might not sound as sexy but it's probably the more realistic and more effective option for this group of players. All it does is trade high-risk, high-reward pressing opportunities further up the pitch (which for us are high-risk, no-reward because we never win the ball back in or near the opponent's third) for more defensive solidity and a deeper starting position for any potential counterattacks (which, who cares? Imagine what would happen if we got the likes of Bernard, Richarlison, Lookman, and Walcott on the ball with space ahead of them more often. Goals, plenty of them.)

January 16, 2019, 09:27:17 AM
Reply #14

American Evertonian

Could see us playing this one on the counter. Think Ings will give us trouble but we will get one on the counter to give us the win
Are we there yet?