October 14, 2019, 10:47:12 PM

Author Topic: [News]McCarthy could be on verge of Celtic move  (Read 6634 times)

January 22, 2019, 08:52:06 PM
Reply #75

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Simply put, if we want to be a top 6 side we need to start again with our midfield.

Spend top dollar on young players that arent on astronomical wages, that are multi-faceted.

If Gueye was younger then we could go for players to compliment his style.

But hes not and relies on massive physical outputs.

January 22, 2019, 08:54:27 PM
Reply #76

sam of the south

If Gueye was younger then we could go for players to compliment his style.

But hes not and relies on massive physical outputs.

His game is based on boundless energy, much like Coleman.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

January 23, 2019, 03:48:16 PM
Reply #77

Lxxx

It was why the Barry/McCarthy axis worked so well in Martinez's first season. McCarthy did all the running and chasing and Barry used his head and experience to drop back, cover the gaps and keep the ball moving.

It's why the Gana/Gomes partnership looks great in small doses when we're playing well and not under much pressure but will get exposed more often than not as time progresses.

We really need a younger Gana and another Barry. Looking at output not sure where Gomes would fit in so handsome as he is I'd send him back to the sun and put the money to better use elsewhere.

January 23, 2019, 05:01:05 PM
Reply #78

Waltzer

It was why the Barry/McCarthy axis worked so well in Martinez's first season. McCarthy did all the running and chasing and Barry used his head and experience to drop back, cover the gaps and keep the ball moving.

It's why the Gana/Gomes partnership looks great in small doses when we're playing well and not under much pressure but will get exposed more often than not as time progresses.

We really need a younger Gana and another Barry. Looking at output not sure where Gomes would fit in so handsome as he is I'd send him back to the sun and put the money to better use elsewhere.

I agree with the Barry/McCarthy comparison, but think its overly harsh on Gomes. For all the good Gueye does I think his positional ineptitude and willingness to try to win the ball at all costs means the gaps to cover are significantly more for Gomes than what Barry ever had to cover with McCarthy. That isnt me saying I think one is better than the other, im just saying McCarthy, imo, was much more disciplined and held shape better than Gueye, making it easier for his teammate.

January 23, 2019, 05:30:14 PM
Reply #79

Lxxx

I agree with the Barry/McCarthy comparison, but think its overly harsh on Gomes. For all the good Gueye does I think his positional ineptitude and willingness to try to win the ball at all costs means the gaps to cover are significantly more for Gomes than what Barry ever had to cover with McCarthy. That isnt me saying I think one is better than the other, im just saying McCarthy, imo, was much more disciplined and held shape better than Gueye, making it easier for his teammate.

I'm not knocking Gomes, I think he's a player with a lot of class but he's not what we need right now. Maybe if we had a more industrious No 10 or a better all round player than Gana he'd fit in well. We don't though so we really need to address the glaring issues before we commit to splashing out on him when the money might be better spent elsewhere.

January 23, 2019, 06:06:35 PM
Reply #80

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Id sell anyone in that midfield for 25mil plus and revamp.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 23, 2019, 06:35:34 PM
Reply #81

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
If we go out of the cup on Saturday we may as well have a clear out, were not going to get relegated may as well clear the decks for the summer.

January 23, 2019, 06:37:21 PM
Reply #82

sam of the south

Id sell anyone in that midfield for 25mil plus and revamp.

If he had replacements in place beforehand, absolutely
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

January 23, 2019, 08:24:17 PM
Reply #83

kramer0

Is the problem Gana charging out of position or Gomes being slow as fuck?

I tend to think the latter.

January 23, 2019, 08:27:13 PM
Reply #84

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Hes not mobile enough to play as the positonally disiplined one I dont think like, reckon he would be great in a 3 where he has more freedom to do mad stuff instead of boring shit.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 23, 2019, 08:33:38 PM
Reply #85

kramer0

Hes not mobile enough to play as the positonally disiplined one I dont think like, reckon he would be great in a 3 where he has more freedom to do mad stuff instead of boring shit.

I think "boring shit" plus some nice dribbles is his game.

January 23, 2019, 08:55:06 PM
Reply #86

Waltzer

Might be right, although when you look at it we've had a lots of players get slated and are deemed to be the problem in our team when the one thing they all have in common is they've all played along side him, coincidence?

January 23, 2019, 09:07:18 PM
Reply #87

kramer0

Might be right, although when you look at it we've had a lots of players get slated and are deemed to be the problem in our team when the one thing they all have in common is they've all played along side him, coincidence?

Yes.

Decline is natural for older players (Barry, Rooney). If anything, Gana allowed them to extend their Everton careers.

Erratic form is natural for young players (Davies).

Schneiderlin is the only player who experienced an unexpected change in form. But we haven't managed to build a workable midfield around Schneiderlin, with or without Gana, at any point during the past two seasons so I'm not laying the blame for his form at Gana's feet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:08:52 PM by kramer0 »

January 23, 2019, 09:14:15 PM
Reply #88

Martip

Yes.

Decline is natural for older players (Barry, Rooney). If anything, Gana allowed them to extend their Everton careers.

Erratic form is natural for young players (Davies).

Schneiderlin is the only player who experienced an unexpected change in form. But we haven't managed to build a workable midfield around Schneiderlin, with or without Gana, at any point during the past two seasons so I'm not laying the blame for his form at Gana's feet.
For me it speaks volumes that Morgan isn't pushing for a move (that we know of). He knows he's not in the managers plans and is seemingly happy to plod along earning his inflated wage.

I doubt his commitment I really do and the training ground issues seem to confirm he is a sewer rat.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:15:20 PM by Martip »

January 23, 2019, 09:28:50 PM
Reply #89

NickNack

For me it speaks volumes that Morgan isn't pushing for a move (that we know of). He knows he's not in the managers plans and is seemingly happy to plod along earning his inflated wage.

I doubt his commitment I really do and the training ground issues seem to confirm he is a sewer rat.
There certainly seem to be issues but did he not make himself available and play when his father had just died? Which youd think would be a ready made (and perhaps justifiable) excuse not to play.