October 22, 2019, 10:58:39 PM

Author Topic: [News]Silva: We have to fight  (Read 2565 times)

January 20, 2019, 03:00:46 AM
Reply #15

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Ay, there’s the rub

But I do think that someone who is reliable with hold up play would make a big impact in the short term.

We’ve got forward players who would score if provided with chances, it’s not like some times when Lukaku was the only likely scorer in the team.

We don’t have a reliable way of easing the pressure defensively.

January 20, 2019, 03:03:55 AM
Reply #16

sam of the south

But I do think that someone who is reliable with hold up play would make a big impact in the short term.

We’ve got forward players who would score if provided with chances, it’s not like some times when Lukaku was the only likely scorer in the team.

We don’t have a reliable way of easing the pressure defensively.

Yeah, nothing sticks up top, and a lot seems to come right back at us as well, especially through the centre
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 20, 2019, 03:50:31 AM
Reply #17

Lxxx

Every player can give more if they’re up for it and in the right frame of mind.

The issue is most of them just don’t look as if they’re on top of their game, don’t have the spark that comes from playing in a well drilled side where everyone is comfortable with each other.

This group of players is capable of so much more. The trick for the manager is getting inside their heads and drawing it out as well as finding the best selection/system that works.

He looks to be struggling on both accounts now.

January 20, 2019, 05:32:07 AM
Reply #18

Juanito

It’s not like the players don’t work hard.

But Sigurdsson is “nice”, Gueye isn’t that big as said but is also “nice” for a DM. Keane, apart from walloping that guy when he lost the ball last week, seems “nice”.

The PL is still physical.

Look at City when Ferndinho isn’t there, or Kompany.

Even Aguero is really, really strong for his size.

L’pool, Spurs are obviously aggressive in a good way mostly.

Arsenal have struggled with this since they were the opposite of what they became.

Seems like Sarri is saying the same things re Chelsea.

As I said, just examples, but Sig and Gueye do huge amounts of running. Can’t fault their effort at all.

But we’d be better if we had a unit in the attacking third and a massive grock, who teams had to run 10 yards further to get round, in midfield.

It’s this type of balance that can suddenly change the performance of the other players.

I think we are crying out for either a player like Dacoure or a classic no6 with good positional sense who can pivot, sit and protect the centre backs. Gana and Gomes for all their individual abilities can’t profect the defence.

We need a young Daniele De Rossi and a young Yakubu up top.

I would however be interested to see Beni given a run in the side when fit.

January 20, 2019, 07:39:07 AM
Reply #19

kramer0

Hunch: We'd look a lot more "aggressive" if we had an extra body in midfield.

January 20, 2019, 07:48:14 AM
Reply #20

sam of the south

Or a more defensively minded body.

I can’t help thinking Bernard would demand and get the ball more from a central position compared to Sigurdsson, with Gana and Davies just instructed to sit and play it forward to the front four
                    Davies Gana
                       Bernard
            Lookman DCL Richarlison
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

January 20, 2019, 03:26:07 PM
Reply #21

SANA_DR0

'We have no organisation'.

but then Silva would have had to look at him self instead of blame the players.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

January 20, 2019, 03:38:28 PM
Reply #22

BlueForYou

Echoes of Koeman:

"We have to be more aggressive, disappointing"

Arteta linked with Huddersfield. Hold out until the summer, Mikel

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 20, 2019, 11:41:57 PM
Reply #23

eyesalwaysblue

Echoes of Koeman:

Very Koeman, bad workman blames the tools and all that.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 20, 2019, 11:48:50 PM
Reply #24

gizzblue

Echoes of Koeman:

Until he actually starts naming and shaming individuals. ..he's a million miles away ....plus he was right we were a pushover to Southampton.
Born not made a blue .

January 21, 2019, 12:05:04 AM
Reply #25

Robioto

It's blatantly obvious as well, same story every game.

January 21, 2019, 12:38:47 AM
Reply #26

School of Science

Exactly, two against three does not work, we get over run and sometimes downright bullied.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

January 21, 2019, 01:22:33 AM
Reply #27

Lxxx

Or a more defensively minded body.

I can’t help thinking Bernard would demand and get the ball more from a central position compared to Sigurdsson, with Gana and Davies just instructed to sit and play it forward to the front four
                    Davies Gana
                       Bernard
            Lookman DCL Richarlison

Bernard would link the midfield and attack whereas at the moment we just have the ball being shuffled from one flank to the other with no-one breaking the lines either with the ball or without.
He'd also draw a hell of a lot of free kicks around the edge of the box with his 5' nothing frame and darting moment and wouldn't be afraid to slide balls in down the channels or behind the centre halves. 

You could either move Sig out wide to the right to see how that might work or leave him out for a few games. Either way we need Richarlison wide left again.

January 21, 2019, 01:25:29 AM
Reply #28

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Has Bernard got a history of playing Central or is this like the Bily in the hole thing?

January 21, 2019, 01:30:40 AM
Reply #29

sam of the south

Has Bernard got a history of playing Central or is this like the Bily in the hole thing?

It’s like the Bily thing I think.

Although he has played left mid before as opposed to left wing.

I think someone said that he played a few matches as a 10 for Shaktar, but I could be making that up.

Also, Silva has moved him centrally and pulled Sigurdsson further back in the 2nd half of matches a few times after substitutions.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:39:14 AM by sam of the south »
Henry David Thoreau