October 19, 2019, 09:32:49 PM

Poll

Should Everton sack Marco Silva?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Silva Out  (Read 97288 times)

January 27, 2019, 05:34:36 PM
Reply #165

Bob Latcford

What does Zonal marking mean. If a player comes in to your zone then you mark him, simples, will someone tell the players that.

January 27, 2019, 05:41:10 PM
Reply #166

sam of the south

I like him, but in the remaining games we will get to see how stubborn or adaptable Silva is.

Roberto Martinez is a nice guy, but he fell on his own lateral passing non-pressing sword. Brendan Rogers on the other hand is a shark-faced David Brent, but he abandoned his sensibilities to play to the strength of his frontline by getting his side to lob loads of balls over the top, and they nearly won the league.
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

January 27, 2019, 05:49:48 PM
Reply #167

Mayor Farnum

The result wasn't that much of a shock though was it.
A lot of pundits, ex players and even bookies were giving Millwall a chance, so to use that result as a reason to get rid of Silva is a bit stupid.

The most concerning thing for me is the lack of leadership on the pitch, not off it, there's no one playing for the badge and seemingly no one really caring whether we win or lose. Millwall just fought harder than us for the win, and it's happened a few times this season.
I'm hoping that maybe last night was the result that reignites some of that back in to our players, the manager can only do so much.

Well if it wasn't a shock there is something inherently wrong. Millwall were poor and didn't even seem to especially raise their game. I expected a win.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:50:52 PM by Mayor Farnum »
Something clever written by someone else.

January 27, 2019, 05:52:54 PM
Reply #168

KoemansNumberTens

The result wasn't that much of a shock though was it.
A lot of pundits, ex players and even bookies were giving Millwall a chance, so to use that result as a reason to get rid of Silva is a bit stupid.

The most concerning thing for me is the lack of leadership on the pitch, not off it, there's no one playing for the badge and seemingly no one really caring whether we win or lose. Millwall just fought harder than us for the win, and it's happened a few times this season.
I'm hoping that maybe last night was the result that reignites some of that back in to our players, the manager can only do so much.

The result wasnít a shock in part because of silvas work to date. It not being a shock is more of a reason for him to be under pressure. Heís made us that poor

January 27, 2019, 06:02:36 PM
Reply #169

Thornton_19

What does Zonal marking mean. If a player comes in to your zone then you mark him, simples, will someone tell the players that.
Basically you are all asigned an area to defend. If the ball comes into your zone you attack it to clear it.

It stops people getting dragged out of position. You basically ignore to opposition and defend the ball.

January 27, 2019, 06:12:44 PM
Reply #170

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Name me one top club that doesnít zonal mark.

https://twitter.com/carra23/status/1089247342765711360?s=21

Agree here.

Itís this type of aggression that we lack.

Who will plow through people to head it away?

Mina Iíd presume but heís still off the pace.

Zouma isnít dead aggressive and Keane is actually more of a passive defender.

We donít have a DM grock and bigger players like Sig arenít like Cahill/ Fellaini.

Digne and Coleman probably are ok but being smaller limits ability vs massive grocks.

January 27, 2019, 06:15:34 PM
Reply #171

sam of the south

Agree here.

Itís this type of aggression that we lack.

Mina Iíd presume but heís still off the pace.

Zouma isnít dead aggressive and Keane is actually more of a passive defender.

We donít have a DM grock and bigger players like Sig arenít like Cahill/ Fellaini.

Digne and Coleman probably are ok but being smaller limits ability vs massive grocks.

Yes, agree with all this.

Would man to man marking make a difference to us, then, or would we still get dominated?
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

January 27, 2019, 06:23:17 PM
Reply #172

Lxxx

He’s the manager though. He manages the players and the coaches. I wouldn’t think he’d do all the coaching himself.

I imagine the manager sets the objectives, in this case to zonal mark and be good at it. I’d prefer not to zonal mark personally but other clubs make it work, so either the players aren’t doing what they’re told to do or the coaching isn’t good enough.

If he’s not going to change the objective he needs to change the players or the coach, and a new coach is probably easier to get.

Or, maybe he does take the set piece training, and he needs to recognise it’s a major weakness of his. And bring in a first team coach that compliments his shortcomings.

Either way he can’t just keep banging his head against the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree. I just don't think it's as simple as him saying this is my preferred way of defending and if you're not doing it right then I'll outsource the responsibility on the training ground to someone else to make sure we get it right. He used to be a defender, if he feels so strongly about it then get hands on and tell them how he'd like it done. 

January 27, 2019, 06:24:19 PM
Reply #173

Bob Latcford

Gaye was shoved off the ball all to easily yesterday, he was really out of sorts

January 27, 2019, 06:33:16 PM
Reply #174

toffee_scot

When Silva was first appointed by us, I was neutral towards him, his past managerial history wasn't that spectacular but at the same time it seemed like he had potential to get our team playing good football whilst also getting results.

I would keep him as manager for now even if it meant we were to finish 15th at the end of the season - unless of course we deteriorate further and were to lose our next 5-6 games and edge towards the relegation zone. I'm just a little tired of all this chopping and changing of managers every so often and I'm willing for now to go along with the line that Silva will make reinforcements in the summer to make our team much better than it is now.

However if it becomes clear that Silva will be a failure and we have to sack him - so he joins 3 other former managers possibly still on our payroll - then I think Farhad "Museum" Moshiri has to shoulder the responsibility for this and also reassess how much input he has towards football matters. Through his pursuit of Silva, he has risked damaging significantly relations with another Premier League club regarding our approach which could see us at worst be docked points by the Premier League if this dispute is not sorted out between us and Watford. With Brands being promoted to the board, then this could potentially see our director of football have more influence and maybe take away some of that big decision making on football matters including which managers to target from Moshiri and Kenwright.

January 27, 2019, 06:44:53 PM
Reply #175

JordanianEmbassy

I have to admit I don't know what "zonal marking" means.

Do the defenders mark a "zone" rather than a player? ie if the ball comes into your zone you have to deal with it?

January 27, 2019, 07:03:03 PM
Reply #176

Shogun

Administrator
Agree here.

It’s this type of aggression that we lack.

Mina I’d presume but he’s still off the pace.

Zouma isn’t dead aggressive and Keane is actually more of a passive defender.

We don’t have a DM grock and bigger players like Sig aren’t like Cahill/ Fellaini.

Not do we have a big striker (like Lukaku) to head the ball away in that first phase.

January 27, 2019, 07:18:12 PM
Reply #177

Waltzer

Agree here.

It's this type of aggression that we lack.

Mina I'd presume but he's still off the pace.

Zouma isn't dead aggressive and Keane is actually more of a passive defender.

We don't have a DM grock and bigger players like Sig aren't like Cahill/ Fellaini.

Can't argue with that, I think Pickford has a lot to do with our problems at the back as he isn't aggressive enough. I like a keeper to come and clean everyone out, win the ball and create fear in the opposition. I'm starting to think he is too small, his contribution in other areas is brilliant, but I really think his command and control of the box really hurts us

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

January 27, 2019, 07:18:29 PM
Reply #178

bluenose27

The more I see of Digne and I do like him I am questioning his defensive capabilities Baines might be an option again until we can get back on track!
Also there is another manager available at the present time who is available and would really put Everton on the map.
I would have him tomorrow!

January 27, 2019, 07:27:06 PM
Reply #179

Faceatthefence

When Silva was first appointed by us, I was neutral towards him, his past managerial history wasn't that spectacular but at the same time it seemed like he had potential to get our team playing good football whilst also getting results.

I would keep him as manager for now even if it meant we were to finish 15th at the end of the season - unless of course we deteriorate further and were to lose our next 5-6 games and edge towards the relegation zone. I'm just a little tired of all this chopping and changing of managers every so often and I'm willing for now to go along with the line that Silva will make reinforcements in the summer to make our team much better than it is now.

However if it becomes clear that Silva will be a failure and we have to sack him - so he joins 3 other former managers possibly still on our payroll - then I think Farhad "Museum" Moshiri has to shoulder the responsibility for this and also reassess how much input he has towards football matters. Through his pursuit of Silva, he has risked damaging significantly relations with another Premier League club regarding our approach which could see us at worst be docked points by the Premier League if this dispute is not sorted out between us and Watford. With Brands being promoted to the board, then this could potentially see our director of football have more influence and maybe take away some of that big decision making on football matters including which managers to target from Moshiri and Kenwright.
Your first paragraph sums up my feelings about the appointment exactly,and in fairness the negatives i felt about silva i felt totally the opposite about koeman so what do i know.The home games against  five of the top six,will probably seal his fate one way or another.I couldnt really care less tbh,the moshiri era has yet to take off and his meddling goes hand in glove with our miserable decision-making.
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.