March 25, 2019, 07:11:10 AM

Poll

Should Everton sack Marco Silva?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Silva Out  (Read 56864 times)

February 04, 2019, 11:03:30 PM
Reply #690

Martip

Youíre thinking like Koeman there, mate, and it doesnít necessarily work that way.

Say we had a player centrally that got on the ball a lot and buzzed between the lines playing the ball forwards, to the wide players, and getting wide himself, donít you think that would allow the team to be less predictable and enable us to potentially create more chances as a team?

Now Iím not certain by any means that Bernard could be that player, but I love the fact he is constantly showing for the ball and tackling back and playing one-twoís, and I would just like to see if that would come off centrally, between the lines, where it would theoretically be harder to mark, and be potentially more damaging to the opposition.
I certainly get the theory behind it don't get me wrong but I can't see Bernard creating enough there but I spose time will tell....

February 04, 2019, 11:42:40 PM
Reply #691

kramer0

Say we had a player centrally that got on the ball a lot and buzzed between the lines playing the ball forwards, to the wide players, and getting wide himself, donít you think that would allow the team to be less predictable and enable us to potentially create more chances as a team?

Now Iím not certain by any means that Bernard could be that player, but I love the fact he is constantly showing for the ball and tackling back and playing one-twoís, and I would just like to see if that would come off centrally, between the lines, where it would theoretically be harder to mark, and be potentially more damaging to the opposition.

This logic even applies to Davies. I think we're better at building attacks when he plays because he makes himself available to his teammates and plays quickly and aggressively.

For all of their technical brilliance, Gomes and Sigurdsson take a lot of touches and have a tendency to choose the safe option which makes it easier for defenses to get set in front of us. The team needs more players who make decisions quickly and are eager to try things, whether it's Davies, Bernard, or both. I even think Kenny deserves another crack at RB for this reason.

I'd take some extra giveaways and other fuck-ups just to see some actual joy in our play. Things have gotten way too slow and sterile over the past two months.

February 05, 2019, 12:39:59 AM
Reply #692

Mouse

Ok, Saturday was a horror show and I left after 85 mins but has it changed anything? Not really.

I'm hoping we have a longer term view than evaluating all managers and playing staff after 6 months. IF we let Silva go then I hope it is because the owner and DOF have sat down and decided it isn't working and have already identified a more suitable candidate (I haven't seen a name on this thread that promises anything better than Silva). I don't want them making a knee-jerk on the back of a run of bad results and a clear loss of confidence throughout the squad.

We want our young players to be given time, maybe we should give our young manager the same leeway? He's 41 and been in management for 7 years. I don't know if Silva is the answer but I do know he's a young manager who will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them for the future. We are not in a position to attract a Guardiola or, as much it hurts to say, a Klopp, just like we are not in a position to attract an Aubameyang or a Pogba. We have money but not Gulf States money, we need to be realistic. 

The shouts about Brands are ridiculous. He's a DOF. His remit is, I assume, to establish a system and culture throughout the club that improves player identification, player development, transfer activity, etc and that this is mirrored throughout the club at all age levels. How many of us know just how much work was needed after the mess we've been in since Moyes and how many of us know how well the issues identified by Moshiri that led to him bringing in Brands have been addressed? I don't expect to be able to judge how good a job he's doing for another for 2-3 years when improvement in the overall structure should be more visible.

All we can actually comment on his work in the summer transfer window when, within weeks of taking on the job and working with Silva, he managed to bring in a number of exciting, skillful and young players. If you don't think Richarlison, Bernard, Digne and Mina improve our squad then I'm not sure what you've been watching for the last few years.

We are fans jumping on every result as a harbinger of doom or of a bright new future. It's what we do and I'm no different than most. Still, I'm (maybe naively) relying on the board and senior management having a longer term view and a better appreciation of the problems and solutions than I do from my seat in the Park End!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:23:31 PM by Mouse »

February 05, 2019, 03:11:00 AM
Reply #693

KoemansNumberTens

:clap:

Man Utd is a case of some of the best players in the world downing tools because of Mourinho. Solskjaer hasn't done anything other than not being Mourinho

Arsenal bought 4, they're no better than last season

Ok, the Watford guy, so one. That's not most

Most managers tend to want to buy their own players to suit their systems, unless they're already taking over a top team. We've been shit and need an overhaul, be great if fingers were clicked and the job was done

I'm not sure he's the answer, but some of the shit spouted to put him/the club down is ridiculous

Most managers donít survive long enough to get 10 new players if they arenít doing a decent job already.

I canít believe the same people who were saying last season that an idiot could manage us to 7th are now saying we need 8-10 new players before we get competent performances.

February 05, 2019, 05:31:32 AM
Reply #694

TrevorSteven

I dont think it is fair to argue with "who is gonna replace him?" to those who wants Silva out. Its a "game" we dont know shit about. For sure Nagelsmann would be a very exciting prospect but you have to be part of the boardrom or be Brands to know if that is realistic or not...so it is no point for us talking about a replacement, unfortunately we dont have a clue, luckily we do have a man whose work is to know these things and I am sure he knows allready.

For me Silva has started talking like a dead man walking. It is shocking to see his latest comments in, I think it was The Mirror, making all fans sure that he was angry at the players after the match. He even stated: "I have been angry with them a lot of times". Thats quotes trying to convince stupid fans that he is an authority. The question is not about beeing angry or not it is about doing what is needed. Someone here said the only thing Solskjaer has done at United is NOT beeing Mourinho - thats so far from the truth. What Solskjaer has done is sheer superb man-management. Maybe Silva beeing angry at players is making players worse? Making them play with less freedom, with higher shoulders? For me its crazy that Silva can be so stupid saying this, indirectly saying that beeing angry is something positive.

Everton has three obvious problems right now and it is Silvas responsibility to do something about it and I am sure beeing angry wont help him in any of them. To be quite frank - beeing angry is probably more making him not notice these three obvious problems as it makes him believe that problems is down to personal errors which it for sure is not. We didnt loose to Wolves because Baines doing a howler etc. We lost and have played bad becuase of these three main problems:

1. Players lacking confidence. Being angry usually doesnt help. (this is where Solskjaer has been fantastic with United - building them up, making them believe that just beeing a United-player make them world stars. Look at Richarlison i.e suddenly he cant even beat one man)

2. Defending set-pieces. Players looks like they have no idea of what to do. Being angry dosent help - training and instructions may do

3. Offensive structure. This is not due to players errors either, but ofcourse it is tight connected to players lacking confidence. I just looked at West Ham - Liverpool. Liverpool had 5-8 men in front of the player with the ball. When we are attacking we have maximum 5, usually 2 making us attack backwards. So what to do about it. Firstly get players higher up the pitch, make players take more forward runs, and make players beeing allowed to do the risky pass or try to beat one man. I also believe like someone else here, that Bernard in Sigurdsson position could be the little tweak making this more possible. Anyway - all changes to solve this problems rely on players getting more confidence and with Silva, from his own words, doing just the opposite I guess we are far away from finding form again.

Right now I got the feeling that Silva is not gonna manage to turn this around and I predict he is finished at Everton somewhere between now and 7 days after the last match of the season.

February 05, 2019, 05:37:16 AM
Reply #695

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He should play the tactics we did against like arsenal and Chelsea and even Liverpool.

Structure was really good, passing lanes were denied and key players isolated, then tried to get up the pitch quick and create a chance.

It's what he's got form for doing at other clubs and wolves showed us how devastating being organised without the ball and breaking in behind can be. 

When we try to play we come un stuck because everyone ambles forward and ends up behind the ball when someone breaks our press with one pass or dribble, leaving a bunch of slow players trying to get in place as premier League attackers who are usually lightning charge down on them.

We haven't got the system or the players to dominate a game, so we should be orgabised, pragmatic and clinical instead.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:38:31 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 05, 2019, 06:09:14 AM
Reply #696

TrevorSteven

He should play the tactics we did against like arsenal and Chelsea and even Liverpool.

Structure was really good, passing lanes were denied and key players isolated, then tried to get up the pitch quick and create a chance.

It's what he's got form for doing at other clubs and wolves showed us how devastating being organised without the ball and breaking in behind can be. 

When we try to play we come un stuck because everyone ambles forward and ends up behind the ball when someone breaks our press with one pass or dribble, leaving a bunch of slow players trying to get in place as premier League attackers who are usually lightning charge down on them.

We haven't got the system or the players to dominate a game, so we should be orgabised, pragmatic and clinical instead.

In many ways I think you are spot on. First you have to decide if you want to dominate games or if you want to be an organised counter-attack team. But the best teams mange to do both. Organised against better opposition and dominating against weaker teams. Our way of trying to dominate games against weaker opponents is for sure failing as of today. At the same time - I think we played a tremendous match against Liverpool - a match where we actually played pretty offensive...

February 05, 2019, 12:45:54 PM
Reply #697

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

I agree.

Issue is, or would have been before it tanked, how would that have been perceived in the dross home games?

We would have needed to come up with separate formation/ selection, which is fine but probably not that easy when youíre just starting out.

But yes, that should be the stock approach from now on in until we get confidence/ form back.

You need to have something (and no reason why that canít be it) to fall back on when things are really tough that will limit the losses and guarantee some points, even if quite a few draws, for a 5/6 game spell.

February 05, 2019, 04:26:57 PM
Reply #698

Lxxx

If we line up the same as usual against City and end up with a Spurs-type scoreline it's an indication he's bang out of ideas, after only 6 months.

February 05, 2019, 04:39:57 PM
Reply #699

van der Meyde

Issue is, or would have been before it tanked, how would that have been perceived in the dross home games?
It really, really should not matter to him how things are perceived.

If he's going against his better judgement and playing open football because he's worried people will think he's not attacking enough, he's not the right man for the job.

February 05, 2019, 04:59:41 PM
Reply #700

Macca77

Moshiri has said Silva is going nowhere and is here for the long haul.

February 05, 2019, 05:01:18 PM
Reply #701

Ramjam

Moshiri has said Silva is going nowhere and is here for the long haul.
So was Koeman

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

February 05, 2019, 05:17:51 PM
Reply #702

Lazarou

Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018

February 05, 2019, 05:21:37 PM
Reply #703

Cereal Killer

If we line up the same as usual against City and end up with a Spurs-type scoreline it's an indication he's bang out of ideas, after only 6 months.

No point putting any emotion into this game. We're playing the best team in the league, regardless of the title situation every indicator says a defeat, which is what will probably happen.

So are we putting no emotion into this as we'll probably lose? Or stringing Silva up as a clueless incompetent if we get a beating?

???

February 05, 2019, 05:24:00 PM
Reply #704

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It really, really should not matter to him how things are perceived.

If he's going against his better judgement and playing open football because he's worried people will think he's not attacking enough, he's not the right man for the job.

Ideally yes. Youíve got to be thick skinned enough, especially in expediency.

But he has been brought in with the brief of being attacking. That was the whole reason for not wanting Allardyce, because he inherently isnít.

I doubt youíd not take that into account in your second game vs Hífield, or the home game vs Newcastle etc.