October 20, 2019, 03:24:50 PM

Author Topic: Best Everton Manager  (Read 2560 times)

January 27, 2019, 09:54:44 PM
Reply #15

Simon Paul

Administrator
Two in sixty odd years. Maybe we should re-assess how we search for and appoint managers.
Former players managing second tier sides on the verge of promotion

January 27, 2019, 09:58:08 PM
Reply #16

Ross

Moyes and Martinez shouldn’t be judged by the standards their successors have been, they were effectively fighting with one hand tied behind the backs.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 27, 2019, 10:02:01 PM
Reply #17

Shogun

Administrator
Moyes and Martinez shouldn’t be judged by the standards their successors have been, they were effectively fighting with one hand tied behind the backs.

Probably a good job considering one thought he was spending £13.5m on the Russian player of the year.

January 27, 2019, 10:02:40 PM
Reply #18

eyesalwaysblue

We had more success under Moyes (if you can call it success), and for that reason he was probably our best manager out the 4,  but that's not to say he would do any good for us now, it would be an truly awful appointment.

Moyes does get some unwarrented stick though, although he was more defensive than Marrinez or Silva we did have seasons were we played some brilliant football, and I think the atmosphere at Goodison back then was a thousand times better.

Well when players like Gosling get hate you'd expect some for Moyes, all i know is you won't see a worse performance than last night and if that's the level we've reached then no wonder people are having a look back, hopefully there will be a brighter future but the present is diabolical ..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

January 27, 2019, 10:13:08 PM
Reply #19

74Blue

Moyes was exactly what we needed when he was first appointed. He came in, steadied the ship and improved the side massively. It would have been very easy for the board to have pulled the trigger when we finished with our lowest ever points total and lowest goals scored, but they kept faith in him and we went on to be a solid best of the rest side for a number of seasons after with Moyes at the helm. If anything, Moyes stayed a few seasons too long IMHO. He had given us sone solid foundations but he just lacked that last little bit of X factor that makes a solid manager a truly great manager. How many times did he get us to the brink, only to bottle it when it really mattered. Nobody remembers losing semi-finallists or runners-up because they don't matter.
We'll never forget the fantastic job that he did here in steadying the ship and making us solid contenders, but I think that any further than that is way beyond his capability.

January 27, 2019, 10:15:24 PM
Reply #20

Mayor Farnum

Former players managing second tier sides on the verge of promotion

That you Gary Megson?
Something clever written by someone else.

January 27, 2019, 10:46:36 PM
Reply #21

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Every club is the same though, that's football

Utd only have 3 title winning managers.

City have more, which is a bit odd!

January 27, 2019, 10:53:27 PM
Reply #22

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
he was given 11 years to get "success"

we had spells in seasons where we played brilliant football under Moyes, but never - ever - entire seasons.  We either started well and petered out, or we started shite and put in title winning form in the second half of the season once we were out of the cups.

2007-08 for instance, because that was the random season I picked, we won two of the last 9 games in the league after being beaten by Fiorentina (a game in which we played some fantastic football and showed some incredible spirit) - we finished fifth, 11 points behind Liverpool in fourth.  If we'd drawn against them, and beaten Villa, Birmingham, West Ham and Fulham (we drew against Villa, Brum, and West Ham, but lost 1-0 to Fulham) then we'd have been fourth.  But he could never put together an entire season of form.  We went on an unbeaten run of 13 games that season but it all fell apart at the end.

But he was given time, because it was a different era of football and a vastly different era of Everton.

Managers now won't be given that and I doubt many clubs will have a manager for over five years in the Premier League age now, even if they win stuff.

All thats fair enough, as I said, Moyes would be a terible appointment for the Everton of now.
All that said, I can never remember being uttetly not arsed about us when Moyes managed us, I still enjoyed going the game, even during them dull 1-0 wins in a row, or when we went about 12 games without a striker. Goodison was rocking most weeks too, its a shell of what it used to be now.

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

January 27, 2019, 11:09:46 PM
Reply #23

Simon Paul

Administrator
All thats fair enough, as I said, Moyes would be a terible appointment for the Everton of now.
All that said, I can never remember being uttetly not arsed about us when Moyes managed us, I still enjoyed going the game, even during them dull 1-0 wins in a row, or when we went about 12 games without a striker. Goodison was rocking most weeks too, its a shell of what it used to be now.
He fostered a seige mentality

A "them against us" attitude that the world was against us and that we were the plucky underdogs

That always keeps the interest up and the lowering of expectations under Moyes made his spell in charge seem amazing to some people. The same as a last minute equaliser can feel like a win even against a shit team at Goodison - which funnily enough happened a fair bit under Moyes!

January 28, 2019, 12:43:59 AM
Reply #24

Ross

Probably a good job considering one thought he was spending £13.5m on the Russian player of the year.

Obviously he’s wasn’t perfect, but then they’ve all made poor choices at different times.

But the last few have had more funds to brush the bad buys aside and move on. Martinez and Moyes never had that luxury.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 28, 2019, 12:50:33 AM
Reply #25

Martip

Obviously he’s wasn’t perfect, but then they’ve all made poor choices at different times.

But the last few have had more funds to brush the bad buys aside and move on. Martinez and Moyes never had that luxury.
One thing is say for Martinez is that he got his major signing right which basically more than paid for the mistakes financially.

January 28, 2019, 12:52:18 AM
Reply #26

Gash

Global Moderator
Martinez spent the thick end of £100m in the days when £100m was still a lot of money. McCarthy, Lukaku and Niasse alone were over £50m. Absolute myth to suggest he was fighting with one hand tied behind his back.

January 28, 2019, 12:58:41 AM
Reply #27

Martip

I can't get to 100m but I reckon he broke about even money wise with the various sales so wasn't an expensive mistake.

January 28, 2019, 01:20:45 AM
Reply #28

Gash

Global Moderator
I can't get to 100m but I reckon he broke about even money wise with the various sales so wasn't an expensive mistake.

He was still backed with money though and apart from Fellaini I can't think of too many big sales in his time?

The three I mentioned were about £55m. Then there was the £4-5m signings like Besic, Deulofeu and Lennon, Kone was about £6m, £10m for Funes Mori, so that's nearly £85m before all the undisclosed and £2-3m signings like McGeady, Robles, Tarashaj, Holgate, Barry etc. 24 signings he made in total and most were pretty poor.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:23:59 AM by Gash »

January 28, 2019, 01:27:52 AM
Reply #29

Martip

He was still backed with money though and apart from Fellaini I can't think of too many big sales in his time?

The three I mentioned were about £55m. Then there was the £4-5m signings like Besic, Deulofeu and Lennon, Kone was about £6m, £10m for Funes Mori, so that's nearly £85m before all the undisclosed and £2-3m signings like McGeady, Robles, Tarashaj, Holgate etc. 24 signings he made in total and most were pretty poor.
I think the point I'm making is that we have recouped it when the players have been sold. I mean the sales of Rom and Cleverley alone must pretty much  cancel out the spend whereas Koeman literally killed us.