March 21, 2019, 03:34:58 PM

Author Topic: The stats that prove Gylfi Sigurdsson is the league's most creative player  (Read 3277 times)

January 29, 2019, 06:51:48 PM
Reply #15

Trowel

Surely "most creative" is the sum total of chances created, so Hazard leads the way.

These stats show he's the "most effective at creating".

I like him btw, just don't fall for the Echo's spin.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

January 29, 2019, 06:56:58 PM
Reply #16

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Efficiency / Effectiveness is always an interesting one.

Thesig is genuinely obsessed with this metric of less passes per chance = a better creator, while totally ignoring the difference between open play and dead balls.

In terms of chances created from open play, Sigurdsson is about 26th in the prem.

Anything else is spin.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 29, 2019, 07:15:59 PM
Reply #17

stirlingblue

Sigís the CAM version of a goal hanger, his stats look so good because he isnít involved in our midfield at all.

How many of Hazard/Eriksenís passes are them doing to dirty work of taking the ball off the CBs and carrying/playing it forward in the early stages of an attack?

At the top end of the pitch heís similar to them, heís just not doing the other half of the job

January 29, 2019, 07:29:28 PM
Reply #18

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Sigís the CAM version of a goal hanger, his stats look so good because he isnít involved in our midfield at all.

How many of Hazard/Eriksenís passes are them doing to dirty work of taking the ball off the CBs and carrying/playing it forward in the early stages of an attack?

At the top end of the pitch heís similar to them, heís just not doing the other half of the job

Exactly.

Watch Eriksen or Hazard for one match and they are all over the pitch hunting the ball off their less talented team mates, because every time a less talented player takes a touch instead of your main superstar, you lose how effective your superstar can be.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 29, 2019, 07:43:00 PM
Reply #19

KoemansNumberTens

Wasnít the amount of chances sigurdsson created from open play in his last season at Swansea every similar to the number Gareth Barry created in the same season
Yep heís a playmaker who had similar stats to our defensive midfielder
Heís great in a fantasy football team. As much a hinderence as a help in an actual football team though

January 29, 2019, 07:52:41 PM
Reply #20

markB

Wasnít the amount of chances sigurdsson created from open play in his last season at Swansea every similar to the number Gareth Barry created in the same season
Yep heís a playmaker who had similar stats to our defensive midfielder
Heís great in a fantasy football team. As much a hinderence as a help in an actual football team though

think it was Ross everyone was talking about they had the same but he was in a bad swans team and good get far more here

and again over looked the amount for set plays (I think KM matched him of g/a form set plays )

January 29, 2019, 08:15:44 PM
Reply #21

Gary1878

Anyone trying to compare if Siggy is better than Hazard needs a serious examination of their football IQ.

Chances created is clearly important, but there are dozens of other stats needed, just on the chances/passing alone.

What about first touch, dribbling ability and speed, how good you are with the ball at your feet, speed of thought, weight of pass, fouls won, difficulty of pass, ability to get in/make space, forward runs, off-ball movement etc etc etc.

It all comes together on a pitch and either makes you effective at what you do, or not so effective. Stats don't always show the whole picture. Siggy seems to have all the ability in the world with his feet, but doesn't seem to have the mental awareness/speed of thought required to make him a world class operator.

January 29, 2019, 08:16:50 PM
Reply #22

sam of the south

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:18:57 PM by sam of the south »
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 29, 2019, 08:29:17 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

Anyone know if Sig is studying for a data analytics qualification? What time does training finish?

January 29, 2019, 08:34:42 PM
Reply #24

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Ok well Iím not going to engage you any further as it is a truly pointless task - but for the record ;

I donít recognise your stats, your projections or even your main point.

I will say that Sigurdsson is a good player, and should be good to hang your hat on for 8/9 goals and similar in assists. If he had a more rounded game or was quicker across the grass he wouldnít be at Everton nor have failed at spurs.

Anyway, not sure what your point is besides liking Sigurdsson but for any travellers passing through his thread, please donít allow the jumbled numbers and random extrapolations or cherry picked arguments to sway you. Just repeat my mantra - if heís that fucking good why are we still discussing him.

January 29, 2019, 09:18:47 PM
Reply #25

kramer0

I still think someone else would create the chances and score the goals if we benched Sigurdsson for a few matches.

Make the experiment happen, Marco.

January 29, 2019, 09:29:02 PM
Reply #26

Morta75

Sell Idrissa and play Gylfi in his position. Play Bernard as the No 10. His work rate is very good and if deeper he will get more ball

January 29, 2019, 09:38:54 PM
Reply #27

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I still think someone else would create the chances and score the goals if we benched Sigurdsson for a few matches.

Make the experiment happen, Marco.

Iím not sure if one individual would match his stats, but I reckon youíd see more goals and assist coming from Bernard, Walcott and lookman.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 29, 2019, 09:48:26 PM
Reply #28

D15TIN

doesn't get on the ball enough, should play deeper in a 3

January 29, 2019, 09:49:21 PM
Reply #29

D15TIN

Sell Idrissa and play Gylfi in his position. Play Bernard as the No 10. His work rate is very good and if deeper he will get more ball
Sigurdsson cant win the ball back as he can, and isn't the quickest, be one slow midfield that