February 25, 2020, 05:11:45 AM

Author Topic: Champions League next season?  (Read 4368 times)

February 15, 2020, 04:12:11 PM
Reply #75

Gash

Global Moderator
One thing this does show is another example of how differently UEFA view certain crimes. Clubs get banned for breaking financial rules yet clubs and even countries can have fans frequently racially abusing players at games and all they get is a relatively small fine, or a game played behind closed doors.

February 15, 2020, 04:17:53 PM
Reply #76

KoemansNumberTens

City should have been stripped off the title last season too. Glad they weren’t but what’s the point of the rule if the punishment doesn’t fit the crime

If City had been stripped of the title there would have been outrage on here for the Kopites having been gifted the title.

That is obviously true but how can a side win the league by a point while cheating by a couple of hundred million and not be stripped of the title.

February 15, 2020, 04:23:07 PM
Reply #77

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Just a silly question, where does the £25 million pound fine go to ?

February 15, 2020, 04:52:12 PM
Reply #78

KoemansNumberTens

Just a silly question, where does the £25 million pound fine go to ?

I think UEFA keep it.

Different question. Could city be sued by all the teams they’ve cheated

February 15, 2020, 05:06:49 PM
Reply #79

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I think UEFA keep it.

Different question. Could city be sued by all the teams they’ve cheated

So would the UEFA bosses pay themselves a few million quid in bonuses, probably. I suppose a class action suit funded by the other 19 PL clubs would be feasible in the European courts but not here....oh wait a minute.......

February 15, 2020, 05:07:29 PM
Reply #80

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Ffp was introduced to protect against debts apparently...city one of the most financially secure entities on the planet with zero debts.

It is what it is, I think financial doping should be dealt with but I don't trust ffp etc. To do anything other than apply a glass ceiling.
and to prevent owners to pump money into a club just for fun....  that by the way is why the Usmanov case is different - he is not a related party to Everton (being business partner with an owner doesn't make you a related party) - it just makes hima stupid sponsor paying 30 mill for an option...

February 15, 2020, 05:45:26 PM
Reply #81

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
and to prevent owners to pump money into a club just for fun....  that by the way is why the Usmanov case is different - he is not a related party to Everton (being business partner with an owner doesn't make you a related party) - it just makes hima stupid sponsor paying 30 mill for an option...

Well I mean, owners spending their own money on their own club surely isn't an issue is it? Only if they risk insolvency and the financial security of the club and related assets, which of course city are in absolutely no danger of doing so.

They have invented an offence - to spend your own money on your own club.

Usmanovs is of course different because they have emails showing that city's owners are literally paying for most of their sponsorship and claiming it is through a different company.

That does not mean the usmanov situation is entirely not shifty, nor that they won't try to pull him on some other technicality.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 15, 2020, 06:34:35 PM
Reply #82

The Analog Kid

NSNO Subscriber
Someone just been talking to Mark Chapman on 5 Live and thrown our name into the mix regarding the amount of money being thrown our way and the hiring of Ancelotti

February 15, 2020, 06:43:20 PM
Reply #83

Macca77

Someone just been talking to Mark Chapman on 5 Live and thrown our name into the mix regarding the amount of money being thrown our way and the hiring of Ancelotti

Understandable when it's been widely reported that Ancelotti spoke to Usmanov first, we're dodgy as fuck and it's fucking great

February 15, 2020, 06:47:17 PM
Reply #84

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Still a lot of discussion on five live and we being given as an example of a club that having only recently come into the money we will now be stopped in our tracks now thus making it more difficult to challenge for CL places.

February 15, 2020, 06:53:20 PM
Reply #85

Macca77

February 15, 2020, 06:54:35 PM
Reply #86

Evertonian in NC

As I understand it, the European powers-that-be (especially Sky) had no kind words for Leicester's title run.  I think it was that piece in The Independent (but I've read it elsewhere) where major players have talked about "we don't want too many (read - any) more Leicester Citys" - it's absolutely meant to be a closed shop, where the same teams play the same opponents, year after year.

At some point, everyone else just needs to put their foot down and call these assholes' bluff re the Super League.  Because it's a de facto Super League now.

The knives will 100% be out for Everton.  For Christ's sake, we haven't even made any major purchases.  Just an elite manager, and the fainting couches are filling up.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

February 15, 2020, 07:14:17 PM
Reply #87

Gash

Global Moderator
As I understand it, the European powers-that-be (especially Sky) had no kind words for Leicester's title run.  I think it was that piece in The Independent (but I've read it elsewhere) where major players have talked about "we don't want too many (read - any) more Leicester Citys" - it's absolutely meant to be a closed shop, where the same teams play the same opponents, year after year.

At some point, everyone else just needs to put their foot down and call these assholes' bluff re the Super League.  Because it's a de facto Super League now.

The knives will 100% be out for Everton.  For Christ's sake, we haven't even made any major purchases.  Just an elite manager, and the fainting couches are filling up.

Sky were all over Leicester winning the title, to the point it got annoying how far up their arse they were. I hated them winning it, plenty fans enjoyed it but I certainly can't remember a media downer on Leicester.

February 15, 2020, 07:44:12 PM
Reply #88

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Come on mate, Martin Samuel. He's had a thing about FFP for years, ever since he had a pop at us using the loan system to our advantage when we had Lukaku, Deulofeu and Barry on loan.

FFP wasn't introduced to protect the established clubs it was introduced as there was an influx of billionaires throwing huge amounts of money at clubs, way beyond what the clubs could afford on their own, the fact that there was already existing, established clubs has nothing to do with it, especially as they now have to live by the same rules. The boom of the Premier League and Champions League brought about all the wealthy owners, something had to be done both to stop them massively overspending what the clubs could afford but also to stop the likes of Leeds and Portsmouth situations.

I always think it's a bit of a 'tinfoil hat' argument to say FFP was introduced to look after the established clubs, if you look at it logically, the likes of PSG, Man City and Leicester winning titles and competing in the CL can only be good for those competitions and therefore generate more money for them, they've opened up new markets and created massive interest in the Middle East and Asia thanks to their owners taking over, no authority in the world is going to try and shut that down but there are rules and they should abide by them. Even looking at the PL this season, the title race is boring as fuck, that's not good for the popularity of it to have one club running away with it and if it wasn't for "new monied" clubs like Man City, Leicester and Chelsea, Liverpool would be even further ahead and you'd probably have had the scenario that you mentioned earlier of Man Utd and Liverpool dominating the past 20-25 years. I'm all for wealthy owners helping make clubs better and more competitive but there needs to be controls on place.

I don't think it's too wild of a suggestion to say UEFA have increasingly been bending over backwards to accommodate certain clubs. It's the reason they've changed CL rules to try and tilt the money towards certain clubs. I mean why was the CL opened up to 2nd, then 3rd and now to the 4th place club? They've been scared for some time that the bigger clubs go off and form their own super league and leave them in the dust. I mean we know those larger clubs have had talks about doing just that, going off to a closed off league with no relegation. These clubs are their golden goose, and UEFA don't want to lose them as where does that leave them?

If they were actually concerned about teams buying the league, why aren't their salary caps or transfer caps?

If they're worried about unsustainable debt, why are Man City even in trouble at all? I'm sure they have plenty of assets to back up their expenditure?

So what is the goal of FFP?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:46:23 PM by blueToffee »

February 15, 2020, 07:47:41 PM
Reply #89

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Really struggling to be arsed about this in the slightest. Pretty much at the point of just wanting a good game of footy each week and I’m sound. This lot at fifa and the fellas at the top of the traditional big clubs will just keep moving the goal posts and chucking about new rules and laws after they’ve finished their lunch at whatever overpriced Dubai restaurant  they’ve just had lunch at and billing it to some expense account whilst they argue amongst themselves about who’s sorting the brasses later on that evening.

Fuck ‘em. The lot of ‘em.