Dyche

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
The Doc

Re: Dyche

kramer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 pm He’s doing well overall.

Not too far off what I would have expected when we hired him. Often a bit dull, effective when it works, hard to watch when it doesn’t. Much like Moyes when he didn’t have his best footballers at his disposal.

The next evolution is for Thelwell and the recruitment team to find him some players in the mold of Arteta and Pienaar, i.e. guys who put in a big shift for the team but can actually really play too. It’s hard on our budget but not impossible.

It’s been a rollercoaster. We went from looking good enough that the deduction might not even trouble us, to a barren spell where it looked like it might end up sinking us, to another solid run and mathematical safety.

So yeah, job well done.

Please take away this man’s Ashley Young, though. I’d say he can’t be trusted to use him responsibly but I don’t think there is a responsible use which makes it worse.
I've just seen a list of our players wages and Young is on 86k. Don't know how true it is but if it is.... wow.
AjaxAndy

The Doc wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:13 pm I think the bottom 3 being poor argument has lost its legs now. We're above Brentford and Forest too, and without the deductions we'd be above Palace and Fulham, a point behind De Zerbi's Brighton.

I wavered in the poor run we had and thought a change of manager was needed or we were done for. But I'm glad we stuck, even though the football isn't great. We need some stability now, I'd buy into another 2 years of Dyche.
Yeah I was just about to post something similar... It doesn't matter how good the teams coming up are if he achieves another 40-50 point season.
blueforyou

He's delivering, which will reassure SOTS!

Come to think of it, those duelling banjos could be our Bramley Moore tunnel tune...
Mouse

American Evertonian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 am I very much am real about what we are. I think anyone on this forum understands the position we are in and how far we have fallen. Three wins in a row is great and I think he has steadied the ship, but I can’t see a way he takes us forward from just surviving. I think some People have already forgotten we went 15 matches in a row without a win. If he does that next season we are surely going down as the promoted teams are much stronger than the teams promoted this season.

It isn’t delusional at all to see that our trajectory is trending in the wrong direction outside of this week. For me it is imperative we don’t extend him. Either part ways this summer if we have a new owner or let him see out his contract.
Look at the season as a whole. Beat Luton (possible) and Sheffield Utd (probable) and we finish on 50 (FIFTY!) real points. Prior to that, we have gone 59, 39, 36, how is that not progress in the right direction? Also, as I've mentioned before, we cannot know how much better we would have played wihout the ponts reductions and the consequent fears and doubts this added.

He's not my choice, some of the football has been excruciating (caveat, mental drag of points deductions) but I can't honestly say he hasn't exceded expectations and done a pretty incredible job. I do not for one minute doubt there are better managers out there, nor that there are managers who could squeeze a bit more out of the players or have us play with a bit more style. The problem is very few of them are available, of those few would consider a basket case like us, of those we could afford even less. At which point we move into medium to high risk appointments.

Like it or not, we need Dyche to settle us for at least one, maybe two seasons to put us in a position where we are financially more robust and a more attractive propostion to alternative managers. Or, we need new owners with deep pockets prepared to support a new manager. Right now, there is little hope of that happening. Reality is a bitch.
Toffee1

Shogun

Good job we haven't had their injuries to match!
777Kidnappings

Shogun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:01 pm Good job we haven't had their injuries to match!
Someone's still smarting that they didn't give it baines til the end of the season
Shogun

777Kidnappings wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:24 pm Someone's still smarting that they didn't give it baines til the end of the season
Cleverley is doing well
Gash

Shogun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:25 pm Cleverley is doing well
Won't see Christmas.
AjaxAndy

Shogun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:01 pm Good job we haven't had their injuries to match!
We have had plenty of injuries and our squad depth is absolutely shocking to cope with them.

I don't see how anyone can say Brighton have had it worse than when we've had to play Young and Godfrey as our right side.

Or playing the bizarre Beto up front, and before that Maupay because DCL missed chunks of the season.

Absolutely not having Brighton's team has been so decimated that they've somehow had it equal to or worse than we have when it comes to who's on the pitch come 3pm every week.
MarcusFenix

blueforyou wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:58 pm He's delivering, which will reassure SOTS!

Come to think of it, those duelling banjos could be our Bramley Moore tunnel tune...
Welcome To Paradise
Siren
Z Cars
NomadskiEFC

The first manager to finish the season he started with Everton since Ancelloti, with the club in this state, no mean feat.
TheRam

Is the football that bad?

Why do people completely ignore the off the ball stuff and the way we defend.

Off the ball we are great and have been all season bar the odd game.

Defensively we are one of the best teams in the league.

Isn’t there joy to watch the team you support be so solid off the ball?

For me, this is the best football we’ve had since the best days of moyes and parts of silva in terms of how we are structurally.

I’ve seen too many Everton teams be so easy to score against. When we lead games we very rarely don’t win. That’s a huge improvement on what we’ve seen for most of the Moshiri era.

Never cared much for Carlo. Was very much get it to your best players and hope for the best.
NomadskiEFC

TheRam wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:31 pm Is the football that bad?

Why do people completely ignore the off the ball stuff and the way we defend.

Off the ball we are great and have been all season bar the odd game.

Defensively we are one of the best teams in the league.

Isn’t there joy to watch the team you support be so solid off the ball?

For me, this is the best football we’ve had since the best days of moyes and parts of silva in terms of how we are structurally.

I’ve seen too many Everton teams be so easy to score against. When we lead games we very rarely don’t win. That’s a huge improvement on what we’ve seen for most of the Moshiri era.

Never cared much for Carlo. Was very much get it to your best players and hope for the best.
Its dreadful to watch. But right now we are in a fight to survive state in this league every season so it is what it is, I'll accept it if the results come.

I think for almost any neutral, put to a vote on who was the worst team to watch this season, Everton would have quite a large gap at the top.
777Kidnappings

I'm not sure it's dreadful to watch. We weren't good against forest and Burnley hut I thought we played quite well against Liverpool and Brentford. We were awful first halves against Brighton and Newcastle but played well in both then 2nd halves. I've enjoyed plenty of games. Even in our awful run we played well against spurs and City. That's just off the top of my head. We've been awful at times but so have about 15 other teams
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic