Dyche

This is the new NSNO Everton forum to discuss the Mighty Blues
777Kidnappings

Re: Dyche

American Evertonian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 am I very much am real about what we are. I think anyone on this forum understands the position we are in and how far we have fallen. Three wins in a row is great and I think he has steadied the ship, but I can’t see a way he takes us forward from just surviving. I think some People have already forgotten we went 15 matches in a row without a win. If he does that next season we are surely going down as the promoted teams are much stronger than the teams promoted this season.

It isn’t delusional at all to see that our trajectory is trending in the wrong direction outside of this week. For me it is imperative we don’t extend him. Either part ways this summer if we have a new owner or let him see out his contract.

Firstly just surviving?? We are possibly going to win 20pts more than the team that finish 18th?? That's not just surviving

Secondly it's not his job to build this club. We are only going to survive as a club by massive changes at boardroom level. A manager on a budget of less than nothing isn't going to build a team or at least shouldn't be expected to. Certainly not with question marks against the youth system scouting dof and board too. Who is this mythical manager who can get us into Europe while selling our best players??

Oh and people thought burnley were great. We aren't certainly down next year. Leicester aren't great and facing a deduction. Ipswich and Leeds are shite. Forest or Luton will still be here.

If your talking about which manager we need to progress upwards you really aren't aware. 40pts next season and 70 or 80m in profit on transfers is progress
Cods

American Evertonian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 am I very much am real about what we are. I think anyone on this forum understands the position we are in and how far we have fallen. Three wins in a row is great and I think he has steadied the ship, but I can’t see a way he takes us forward from just surviving. I think some People have already forgotten we went 15 matches in a row without a win. If he does that next season we are surely going down as the promoted teams are much stronger than the teams promoted this season.

It isn’t delusional at all to see that our trajectory is trending in the wrong direction outside of this week. For me it is imperative we don’t extend him. Either part ways this summer if we have a new owner or let him see out his contract.
A more objective view might be that of our last 22 league games, which includes that run (of 13 without a win), we've won 8, drawn 6 and lost 8. That 30 points probably enough alone to have kept any side up this season. From a bit over half a season.

Our direction this year, compared to the last 3 years overall, is very much positive on field, in terms of actual points and hugely so in terms of underlying stats, whilst the squad quality, finances and governance have been crumbling over the same period.

Headline grabbing stats only cloud the picture. Until the ownership and squad are improved significantly, there should be no change in management, as constant change has been part of the problem of the Moshiri era, and this custodian is the only one to have both dealt with the realities, and started to turn the tide.
777Kidnappings

Is it too late for baines til the end of the season?
AjaxAndy

I think people make too much of the long winless run tbh... If it'd carried on and we'd scraped survival on goal difference then fair enough, but we haven't and look like finishing in somewhere around mid to high 40s in points.

Do people want to look at a 15 games spell (think it was only 13 league games), or over 38 games where we've won so many points that we'd be level with Brighton were it not for the points deductions?

Yes that spell was bad and hard to watch, but either side were really good in terms of points, so I really think he needs to be judged on the overall end result, which is much better than I think we could have realistically expected.
Toffee1

blueforyou

Ride 'em, Dychie, and make 'em squeal like pigs!
Gary1878

One thing I think we can all agree on is how nice it is to not be going into the last few games needing wins to survive.

We all have to thank Dyche for that.
Paddockoldie

My own feeling is there's been a clearing of the air between him and the team, which has helped with the change in form recently. The players looked more motivated to produce decent football. Looking back, I was despairing at times and doubted him, but he's done very well considering. The challenge now is to try and keep a competitive team because we'll lose big players mid season. Maybe try some young players to see if they can step up..
Toffee1

Paddockoldie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 am My own feeling is there's been a clearing of the air between him and the team, which has helped with the change in form recently. The players looked more motivated to produce decent football. Looking back, I was despairing at times and doubted him, but he's done very well considering. The challenge now is to try and keep a competitive team because we'll lose big players mid season. Maybe try some young players to see if they can step up..

777Kidnappings

Saw a quote a week or so ago from dyche. Where he'd asked the players if it was that time of year again and they were going to get another manager sacked. That he wasn't going to be that guy and if they weren't on board they should come knock on his door

So I don't think they've had it out with him about doucoure playing second striker or anything else. They've been told to dig in and in fairness they did

Think it's telling we haven't seen much of Onana since Chelsea. Probably 1 of our most talented players but he doesn't look willing to do extra in a battle. He's not a dyche player and that's probably more a slight on him than dyche
Shogun

Dyche has done much better than the last two managers (not that they should be something to measure against) with a worse squad, but the bottom three this season are pretty much as poor as it gets in the Premier League as well. Big one is next season for Dyche. Hopefully no points deductions, better teams in the league, plenty of time under his belt at this club now... Can't afford long runs with minimal wins at that point.
sam of the south

blueforyou wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 am Ride 'em, Dychie, and make 'em squeal like pigs!
Christ, a Deliverance joke 😳

I was left up on my own when I was about 7 after watching Match of the Day in the 80’s, and I channel surfed and landed on that scene.

It think it contributed a lot to the warping that occurred to my malleable brain.
Cantoffee

Definitely deserves credit for managing well through a very challenging time.

I will admit to being skeptical of the whole "hard yards" workhorse, head down mentality. I think Dyche is more clever than that stereotype but pushing the players not to feel sorry for themselves and dig in certainly has benefited us. He also obviously played the part after Chelsea perfectly - for many managers that would have been the end but he's got the players to turn things around. Huge credit there.

He also does seem to have changed things up recently which has improved our build up play. McNeil has clearly been coming inside more and allowing either an overlap or a CM to drift out wide. It really helped us retain possession and move the ball into the opposition half.

Still a lack of clear patterns of play in an attacking sense which I am concerned about long term. Hopefully these things show he is still learning and taking new things on and we see improvement there.

Another challenging season ahead though. Need some homeruns in the transfer market or the squad will be worse. Still facing another hearing on our capitalization of the interest in last year's books, potential PSR issues from this season, etc.
The Doc

Shogun wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:06 pm Dyche has done much better than the last two managers (not that they should be something to measure against) with a worse squad, but the bottom three this season are pretty much as poor as it gets in the Premier League as well. Big one is next season for Dyche. Hopefully no points deductions, better teams in the league, plenty of time under his belt at this club now... Can't afford long runs with minimal wins at that point.
I think the bottom 3 being poor argument has lost its legs now. We're above Brentford and Forest too, and without the deductions we'd be above Palace and Fulham, a point behind De Zerbi's Brighton.

I wavered in the poor run we had and thought a change of manager was needed or we were done for. But I'm glad we stuck, even though the football isn't great. We need some stability now, I'd buy into another 2 years of Dyche.
kramer

He’s doing well overall.

Not too far off what I would have expected when we hired him. Often a bit dull, effective when it works, hard to watch when it doesn’t. Much like Moyes when he didn’t have his best footballers at his disposal.

The next evolution is for Thelwell and the recruitment team to find him some players in the mold of Arteta and Pienaar, i.e. guys who put in a big shift for the team but can actually really play too. It’s hard on our budget but not impossible.

It’s been a rollercoaster. We went from looking good enough that the deduction might not even trouble us, to a barren spell where it looked like it might end up sinking us, to another solid run and mathematical safety.

So yeah, job well done.

Please take away this man’s Ashley Young, though. I’d say he can’t be trusted to use him responsibly but I don’t think there is a responsible use which makes it worse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic