Everton News

Wigan 1-1 Everton

Everton came away from the JJB stadium with a 1-1 draw and also with Duncan Ferguson facing a 3 match ban after striking Paul Scharner in the stomach. Everton took the lead through an own goal from David Thompson before Sharner equalised. Wigan had Jason Roberts sent off late on in the game.

Everton went in front after 9 minutes after some good work from the hard working James McFadden and Tim Cahill. McFadden drove at the Wigan defence before playing in Cahill whose blocked shot fell to Leon Osman only for David Thompson to put the ball into his own net. Everton looked very lively early on and nearly doubled their lead just minutes later. Mikel Arteta caught the Wigan defence sleeping with a clever pass to Osman who worked the space well to cross it to McFadden, however the young Scot missed when it was easier to score.

Wigan rarely looked like threatening early on and once again it was Everton that looked like scoring. It would have been a truly sensational goal, the type of move that is normally only seen from one of the top sides in the league. A flowing move down the right involving some trickery from McFadden and some fantastic skill from Osman resulted in Mcadden seeing his shot saved before Tim Cahill saw his effort ruled out for offside.

Wigan equalised on the stroke of half time and were lucky to go into the break on level terms. A free kick wasn’t cleared properly and Paul Scharner scored past Richard Wright who was in for the injured Nigel Martyn. Wigan then nearly took the lead straight after the restart. A ball over the top caught out David Weir but Roberts failed to lob the advancing Wright.

The second half saw Wigan control the game a lot more but it will be remember more for the two instances in the final 10 minutes. Everton’s best chance came courtesy of Mikel Arteta but the Spaniard’s left footed effort was smartly saved by Pollitt. Wigan’s best effort was a Arjen De Zeeuw header which went agonisinly close to going in the top corner.

The match seemed to be fading out into a draw until David Moyes brought on Duncan Ferguson. His height and presence caused problems straight away when his nod down fell to Cahill but his left footed half volley went wide from 25 yards.

Then with 10 minutes to go the terrible Mike Dean completely lost control of the game. Paul Scharner provoked Duncan Ferguson into stupidly striking the Austrian in the stomach. Dean was left with no choice but to send off Ferguson just as Moyes will be left with no choice but to play McFadden on Saturday as he is currently the only available striker for that game. Then moments later Dean sent Jason Roberts off for elbowing David Weir.

A nothing game ended 1-1 and both sides with 10 men.

The following two tabs change content below.

NSNO Staff

Staff Writer at NSNO.co.uk
NSNO Staff writers maintain the news on the site and ensure the site is updated frequently with the latest Everton news. Starting in 2004, NSNO has always been at the forefront of bringing you the latest Everton news and rumours, building a large forum and growing social media presence, which you can follow by clicking the links to the left.

Copyright © 2015 Flex Mag Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by Wordpress.

To Top