Everton boss Sam Allardyce has said that this season is a write off and that the club need to look to next season once Premier League survival is assured.
The preparations for the upcoming game against Crystal Palace will also be hampered by his assertion that his team “played crap” after he called for more consistency despite making five changes to personnel and switching from a back four to a back five.
The boss claimed – bizarrely – that it was an attempt to emulate Swansea City and the success they had at Arsenal. Those who enjoy sports betting should perhaps have a look at how the Welsh side faired against Crystal Palace this season to see how Allardyce will set his side up.
But earlier this week, the Blues boss said, “We’ve got to write this season off as quick as we can by staying in the Premier League and then sorting out for the start of next season.
“There are things I can try if we can get safe quick and start performing like we did on Wednesday and try and finish in the top half and not putting any more pressure on ourselves by starting slipping down the table.
“There are too many inconsistency levels in our performances at the moment.
“I can take the criticism, it’s no problem to me. I can tell you this though, as a man who tactically looks at every single area to play against the opposition, all those who said we should have played a back four, go look at what Swansea did against Arsenal with a back five on Tuesday. Systems will mean nothing if the players play crap.
“The young lads did better than the older lads. Tom Davies and Dominic Calvert-Lewin were a lot better than the 11 who were on the pitch before them.
“I have a go at the team when they deserve it. I don’t cover it up and say we were unlucky.
“They know in the dressing room you can’t defend the indefensible.
“It’s too late though. Maybe we could say some of the players looked a bit more fatigued than I expected as they’ve played a lot of games this season – we’ve had 40 already.
“There’s been a lot of changes and a lot of new faces, both on and off the pitch.”
One of those new faces, striker Cenk Tosun, is already being asked if he wants to move back to Turkey after being left out by Allardyce for the Arsenal clash following a £27m move from Besiktas.
“I am a Besiktas man, it is my home, but it is useful to say: I never return without a battle, without success,” he replied when he was asked in Turkish if he wanted to return to his former club.
“I hope everything will be better once I get through with the adaption period. I am currently trying to adapt to the life in England, my new home. It’s a new environment for us after such a long time at Turkey but we’re doing okay.
“It’s also not easy to come to a different league having played in Turkey for almost seven seasons. It’s normal to have periods like this, and my manager Sam Allardyce also told me that. He’s always speaking with me.
“I have no problems. He told me once I get used to it I’ll become a starter for the club. I am working hard right now.”
Latest posts by NSNO Staff (see all)
- Bolasie in being better at football than rapping shocker - February 22, 2018
- Gana: I believe in this club - February 21, 2018
- Hot weather training was hard work, says Tosun - February 21, 2018
- Allardyce: Tosun can’t cope with cold English weather - February 12, 2018