November 29, 2020, 05:13:56 AM

Author Topic: Isco  (Read 11240 times)

November 10, 2020, 04:20:10 PM
Reply #60

formerKHL

i think it's the conundrum of......

what do you want success on the field......... or a balance of the books....

as a football person and fan i know what i want...........

November 10, 2020, 04:54:13 PM
Reply #61

Waltzer

Really? I think we've continued to fill the side with deprecating assets we'll see no return on for so far no benefit.

It's no way to improve a football club long term, but it's a good way to stall one.

Only out and out hits we've had in recent times are Gueye, Digne and Richarlison.

I tend to agree, which has always been my issue with Brands. Whether he's been allowed to implement his philosophy or not I just don't see the point of him. He's done really well negotiating deals, which is good and if that's the extent of his role then it's a success, but I was expecting a whole lot more.
But all we seem to do is slate players he's signed, as well as Walsh ones. He's signed a lot of players that on paper are better, but the results aren't panning out that way and the squad still looks pretty weak

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 10, 2020, 05:04:29 PM
Reply #62

Bob Sacamano

I love Isco but I’d rather sign a RW so James can play in the 10.

November 10, 2020, 05:05:05 PM
Reply #63

Shogun

Administrator
I prefer Gylfi
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

November 10, 2020, 05:05:56 PM
Reply #64

Bob Sacamano

Unless he is mean to to be taking the 8 spot and plays in the with Allan and Duke?

November 10, 2020, 05:11:56 PM
Reply #65

dazfrancis

I was kind of hoping that Allan, Doucoure and James were 3 short term buys to sort out a dramatically lacking midfield and we would begin to recruit younger players with a long term vision of developing them once we've stabilised ourselves in the short term

November 10, 2020, 05:25:25 PM
Reply #66

ajax_andy

Really? I think we've continued to fill the side with deprecating assets we'll see no return on for so far no benefit.

It's no way to improve a football club long term, but it's a good way to stall one.

Only out and out hits we've had in recent times are Gueye, Digne and Richarlison.

No benefit?  We were top of the league after 5 games 🤣

November 10, 2020, 05:55:45 PM
Reply #67

sam of the south

And just look at us now, though.

Dreadful performances since Richarlison got banned, and Sigurdsson valiantly came in.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 10, 2020, 06:21:26 PM
Reply #68

ajax_andy

And just look at us now, though.

Dreadful performances since Richarlison got banned, and Sigurdsson valiantly came in.

So you're saying the recruitment is poor because we haven't had our first choice team out and not performed well as a result... Not sure that adds up when with our best starting 11 out we won more points than any other team in the division.

It'd actually point to previous recruitment being poor (as those are the players filling in), and buying who we did in the summer being good acquisitions (because that team was unbeaten and top of the league).

November 10, 2020, 06:28:29 PM
Reply #69

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
As a loan deal until the end of the season, what's the big deal? He comes in, improves us, does well, he signs. If not, we move on in the summer.

November 10, 2020, 06:36:59 PM
Reply #70

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Come on lads, it's not quite as black and white as you're making out.

We signed a pair of 29 year olds and a 28 year old who all strolled into our team and instantly turned us into a team (not a squad) capable of duking it out with anyone in the league.

Ok, yes, that's short termism and is no good in 3 or 4 years.

If only we had two 23 year old strikers and a 24 year old defender getting regular game time in a window we also bought a 22 year old centre half and a 19 year old full back.

It's feasible to do both (when the high-earners of yester-year slowly piss off) and that's what we are doing.
If we bring in an Isco or two whilst bringing in another handful of kids with high ceilings - what's the actual problem?
Are we ONLY allowed to improve at some point in the forever shifting future?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:57:14 PM by Mick 1995 »

November 10, 2020, 06:51:48 PM
Reply #71

ajax_andy

Come on lads, it's not quite as black and white as your making out.

We signed a pair of 29 year olds and a 28 year old who all strolled into our team and instantly turned us into a team (not a squad) capable of duking it out with anyone in the league.

If only we had two 23 year old strikers and a 24 year old defender getting regular game time in a window we also bought a 22 year old centre half and a 19 year old full back.

It's feasible to do both (when the high-earners of yester-year slowly piss off) and that's what we are doing.
If we bring in an Isco or two whilst bringing in another handful of kids with high ceilings - what's the actual problem?

Exactly this ☝️

November 10, 2020, 06:59:13 PM
Reply #72

sam of the south

So you're saying the recruitment is poor because we haven't had our first choice team out and not performed well as a result... Not sure that adds up when with our best starting 11 out we won more points than any other team in the division.

It'd actually point to previous recruitment being poor (as those are the players filling in), and buying who we did in the summer being good acquisitions (because that team was unbeaten and top of the league).

Oh no doubt, previous regime was beyond dreadful, but, even our new players, who gave us that lovely bounce in the opening five games, have all looked a bit off it, since.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

November 10, 2020, 07:06:35 PM
Reply #73

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

That's us sorted for the next 5 years then
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 10, 2020, 07:50:58 PM
Reply #74

cantoffee

Come on lads, it's not quite as black and white as you're making out.

I agree and think there is an argument to be made for going against the general market shift towards buying players that have resale value.

I think the value of players like James and Isco has never been lower. Offloading them is hard but necessary for these clubs and yet they are often proven high level performers.

I'm not saying you fill your team with them and certainly there is a risk of that. However, if we can complement that with bringing in some players with high upside for reasonable prices and have good squad planning (young players brought in in the right positions) it can be a successful strategy.

James is likely a top 15-20 player in this league and under most circumstances we would need to pay 60m or more to bring that level of talent in, which we just can't afford to do often enough to build a team that can move us to the next level.

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app