April 16, 2021, 01:33:14 AM

Author Topic: Thierry Small  (Read 7750 times)

April 02, 2021, 08:01:26 AM
Reply #60

Shogun

Administrator
Whether the article is true or not, the conversation has moved onto whether it is feasible that a 16 year old could feel like Everton is the wrong place to develop and I think that's certainly worth discussing.

It's as not easy as saying "Just play them" though. I'm sure it can be difficult for managers and whoever else is involved to judge the ceiling of certain players and how much to persist with them when things are going not so well should they be afforded the opportunity of first team football. Martinez was playing the likes of Garbutt, Galloway and Browning on the regular (wonder why we struggled?) and none of them are near being PL standard years later, so I can understand why a manager like Ancelotti may have a hesitancy to trust on any young player so much considering his experience in the game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:03:06 AM by Shogun »
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

April 02, 2021, 01:51:47 PM
Reply #61

ajax_andy

Dunno tbh, nothing to make me think it's false? Said from the beginning - if we give everyone involved the goodwill of assuming it's true, then my opinion...

But yes we can easily just not talk about it like.

I'm sure it's not meant to come across that way, but so many of your posts just seem like an excuse to have a moan about the club.

He's 16, if be thinks his path to first team footy is blocked by a central defender playing out of position, and another young lad not much older than him... Well I think he needs to take a good hard luck at what's in his way at other clubs if he moves, as I'd imagine most will have an actual backup left back for him to compete with, and a harder route to game time.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:52:51 PM by ajax_andy »

April 02, 2021, 02:28:38 PM
Reply #62

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm sure it's not meant to come across that way, but so many of your posts just seem like an excuse to have a moan about the club.

He's 16, if be thinks his path to first team footy is blocked by a central defender playing out of position, and another young lad not much older than him... Well I think he needs to take a good hard luck at what's in his way at other clubs if he moves, as I'd imagine most will have an actual backup left back for him to compete with, and a harder route to game time.

Certainly not meant to come across as an excuse no, but I don't mind criticising the club if I believe they are wrong or could be better. Which after 30 years of mediocrity at best is most things.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 02, 2021, 03:38:28 PM
Reply #63

formerKHL

You could argue......heís made his debut and itís gone to his head !!

April 02, 2021, 03:59:01 PM
Reply #64

Cereal Killer

ďA three-year contract has been on the table for well over a yearĒ

ďthe lack of progress is likely to raise concerns amongst supportersĒ

lolol

Heís 16 and canít sign a deal until his 17th birthday on August 1st, I smell a whiff of bullshit in this article...

In terms of vying for a first team place, I imagine heís got more chance here than most other places, I donít imagine itíll be hard for him to push ahead of Nkounkou as understudy to Digne and if we get into Europe heíll probably get games next season

The alternative is sign for someone like Man Utd and be behind Shaw, Telles, Williams and miles away from first team football

If he hadnít been injured the last month heíd have probably made the bench more as well

April 02, 2021, 05:46:14 PM
Reply #65

stirlingblue

Are we all just assuming heís better than Nkounkou?

Fees like itís less than half a year since people were clamouring for Nkounkou to be start games and now a 16 year old is better than him?

Maybe his concern is the way our youth teams play football, and whether thatís the best way for an attacking fullback to develop. In that case it seems like sensible thinking.

April 02, 2021, 06:43:01 PM
Reply #66

ajax_andy

Are we all just assuming heís better than Nkounkou?

Fees like itís less than half a year since people were clamouring for Nkounkou to be start games and now a 16 year old is better than him?

Maybe his concern is the way our youth teams play football, and whether thatís the best way for an attacking fullback to develop. In that case it seems like sensible thinking.

supposed to be the best full back in Europe for his age group, so you'd imagine he has a shot at least of getting ahead of Nkoukou if he backs himself and sets about making the staff pick him over the slightly older player.

The rest about how youth set up is run and his thinking on it is just almighty speculation, none of us have even the slightest insight in to his thoughts on such things, so not sure there's a huge amount we can gain from going down that road tbh

April 02, 2021, 06:56:06 PM
Reply #67

Waltzer

supposed to be the best full back in Europe for his age group, so you'd imagine he has a shot at least of getting ahead of Nkoukou if he backs himself and sets about making the staff pick him over the slightly older player.

The rest about how youth set up is run and his thinking on it is just almighty speculation, none of us have even the slightest insight in to his thoughts on such things, so not sure there's a huge amount we can gain from going down that road tbh
Being the best left back in Europe at 16 doesn't mean hell carry on that trajectory. He looks like he's twice the size of most 16 year olds, which probably helps a lot.
If he wants to go, fuck him, I'm not gonna lose sleep over someone we only signed 3/4 years ago who has history of moving to suit his own needs

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

April 02, 2021, 07:06:50 PM
Reply #68

mikey_blue

Are we all just assuming he's better than Nkounkou?

Fees like it's less than half a year since people were clamouring for Nkounkou to be start games and now a 16 year old is better than him?

Maybe his concern is the way our youth teams play football, and whether that's the best way for an attacking fullback to develop. In that case it seems like sensible thinking.

Hard to be better than Nkounkou when heís the best left back in the world, like.

April 02, 2021, 07:42:23 PM
Reply #69

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I thought there was a fair bit of speculation about what Thierrys best position is anyway?

Don't think he's locked down as a left back is he?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

April 02, 2021, 08:51:56 PM
Reply #70

stirlingblue

I thought there was a fair bit of speculation about what Thierrys best position is anyway?

Don't think he's locked down as a left back is he?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

From what Iíve read heís very attacking so maybe a move to winger like Bale did?

If so, shame heís left footed as weíre sorely lacking a decent RW prospect

April 02, 2021, 08:55:42 PM
Reply #71

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 02, 2021, 10:13:50 PM
Reply #72

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
From what I've read he's very attacking so maybe a move to winger like Bale did?

If so, shame he's left footed as we're sorely lacking a decent RW prospect
Maybe he can be used in the right the same way Richarlison is used on the left and cut in?

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
ďHuman progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.Ē~ Andre Geim

April 02, 2021, 10:31:53 PM
Reply #73

ajax_andy

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/thierry-small-contract-latest-everton-20309711

16 and already made his debuts for the under 23s and senior team, plus has been training with he first team... Makes you think this speculation is very much just that.

April 02, 2021, 10:35:48 PM
Reply #74

Danny

Whether the article is true or not, the conversation has moved onto whether it is feasible that a 16 year old could feel like Everton is the wrong place to develop and I think that's certainly worth discussing.

It's as not easy as saying "Just play them" though. I'm sure it can be difficult for managers and whoever else is involved to judge the ceiling of certain players and how much to persist with them when things are going not so well should they be afforded the opportunity of first team football. Martinez was playing the likes of Garbutt, Galloway and Browning on the regular (wonder why we struggled?) and none of them are near being PL standard years later, so I can understand why a manager like Ancelotti may have a hesitancy to trust on any young player so much considering his experience in the game.

It's much easier to blood youngsters when you have a set first team who all understand the tactics etc, we've not had that for years imo.

Not that I think any of the players who've left recently could have made it with us anyway.