January 16, 2021, 11:31:32 AM

Author Topic: Defence  (Read 1384 times)

November 29, 2020, 05:29:22 AM
Read 1384 times

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
This is something that is bothering me more and more week by week.

Dodgy keeper, first choice fullbacks injured, no clear CB pairing and youngsters needing time to settle is not going to help things either but this is a real issue for Carlo.

We had no midfield last year so it was harder to level criticism at the defence but I think this now making itself a priority.

Could argue we let in 50% less goals than we normally do today, but they're normally offset by the amount we score.

Nowhere to hide any more. Defence is a huge issue now.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

November 29, 2020, 06:15:44 AM
Reply #1

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Agreed. But for me itís not so much the defenders. Itís team defence. We not very good structurally from the front three, through midfield and the defence. Allan has helped and Doucoure to a lesser extent but it seems like we have our back 3 or 4 defending by themselves against the opposition.

Our players are not giving it their all for Carlo.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Imam Jagne, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 29, 2020, 08:46:43 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Genuinely don't know what our best defence is.

On balance how we started with Mina and Keane, Coleman and Digne was arguably it. Obviously we're lacking Digne and Coleman now though which is a huge issue.

Mina adds an extra dimension to our threat from set pieces too and as we're so reliant on those to score I prefer him in the side right now. I kinda hate all our makeshift solutions for RB/LB. Maaaaybe Nkounkou  can step up and Coleman comes back it looks better again but other than that it kinda has a whiff of trying to put a lot of bodies back there to stem the tide. Really though with better finishing we could've conceded a bunch today.

Pickford didn't do much wrong today, but I'm still wondering if his general cat on a hot tin roof thing isn't helping our nerves. Olsen wasn't even on the bench today though, not sure what that's about or if it is another injury.

November 29, 2020, 03:01:12 PM
Reply #3

kerryblue boy

Iím not absolving Carlo from blame I think he messes too much with formations and players and has to take his share of blame for not signing a right back in the summer but take the first choice full backs out of any team and they will struggle in hindsight maybe we should have offered baines a year extension

November 29, 2020, 03:07:03 PM
Reply #4

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
Iím not absolving Carlo from blame I think he messes too much with formations and players and has to take his share of blame for not signing a right back in the summer but take the first choice full backs out of any team and they will struggle in hindsight maybe we should have offered baines a year extension

I agree that we've had too many formations at the back to form any sort of settled defence, but how much of that has been down to necessity?

Looking at what Carlo has to work with, I think he's just trying to get it to work.

November 29, 2020, 03:32:27 PM
Reply #5

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford is terrible and creates complete panic in the back 4/5. Dropping him will make the world of difference.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

November 29, 2020, 04:55:12 PM
Reply #6

Mayor Farnum

Yesterday's problems were made so much worse by the lack of genuine full backs. Leeds were advancing on the back three almost constantly in the first half.
Against Fulham last week I was pissed off that we didn't seem to have defenders who were willing to throw their bodies at anything and everything to stop shots and crosses. Yesterday I think we did a lot more of that and I saw a real determination to keep a clean sheet, particularly first half. The problem was that the pressure was pretty constant, if anything the willingness of the back three kept the score down.
Ask yourself. "What would Lewis Hamilton say?"

November 29, 2020, 05:02:51 PM
Reply #7

kerryblue boy

Pickford is terrible and creates complete panic in the back 4/5. Dropping him will make the world of difference.
I agree although he made some good saves yesterday I think he should save the goal he made a good save near the end then charged out of goal to kick it out for a throw he is so impulsive itís criminal

November 29, 2020, 06:07:08 PM
Reply #8

sam of the south

Well, when he was dropped he was bizarrely told he was just being rested, and would be back in the following game, regardless of how well Olsen played.
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

November 29, 2020, 06:10:15 PM
Reply #9

Waltzer

Well, when he was dropped he was bizarrely told he was just being rested, and would be back in the following game, regardless of how well Olsen played.
Was Olsen injured yesterday or just dropped from the squad?

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 29, 2020, 06:42:56 PM
Reply #10

sam of the south

Was Olsen injured yesterday or just dropped from the squad?

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Who knows. Couldnít be arsed to check. I think Pickford is playing regardless.

Iím pretty deflated by everything Iíve seen since The Derby, apart from the first half at Fulham.
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

November 29, 2020, 07:02:20 PM
Reply #11

ally2

Problems everywhere but the defence is the worst. Pure luck how we didn't concede another standard 3 goals yesterday. I would rather Carlo pick a plan and stick to it. If that means short term pain then so be it but we are all over the place at the moment. It has been the case for some time but it is not made easier by injuries.

November 29, 2020, 08:38:48 PM
Reply #12

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I dunno what 3 at the back has added but it doesn't seem to have helped shore it up.

Might come with time but feels a bit Benny hill, people bumping into one another and clearing balls meant for the other guy and all that.

I know we're struggling with injuries and I guess he's trying to find a solution but maybe yeah, strip it back a bit now. 442 or 433 and just try and get some solidity.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 30, 2020, 12:09:07 AM
Reply #13

Stumpy

The injuries to the full backs are obviously not helping.
However that's far from the main problem.
For me whatever combination we play in the middle of the defence it just isn't good enough.
They are all much of a muchness,and i don't really rate any of them that highly,you allways feel that there's a howler not far away.
Playing in front of pickford can't be confidence building,but again it's not just that.
Other than buying established experienced cb's i don't know what the answer is.
If we stick with what we got we will allways be biting our nails and never being able to relax even with healthy leads.

November 30, 2020, 04:18:10 AM
Reply #14

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
O kinda feel the defence is mostly fucked because of what is in front and behind of it to start with.

I agree Pickford is a huge issue but he looked decent on the highlights yesterday, so maybe he's on the way back up?

In front of the defence is where I think we can help them most. Allan seems to be the only one who can contribute to both defence and attack on a regular, reliable basis.
Doucoure's best games have come when he has contributed to both as well.

"Get you a guy who can do both" as they say. We need midfielders who can work with the defence one second and then be on the break the next.