April 16, 2021, 12:13:36 AM

Author Topic: Moshiri  (Read 7080 times)

December 14, 2020, 03:59:20 PM
Reply #60

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Swiss Ramble thread is out for those with any interest.

Very good as ever. Really illustrates the gap we have to make up and the uphill struggle we are facing, as well as giving context on strategy.

We need European football soon!

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1338378096542617600
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:20:32 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 22, 2021, 01:22:27 AM
Reply #61

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Have to say, it sting me a little bit to see where Leicester are at in their project.

Everyone at the club needs to take a good long look at themselves and at comparable projects around Europe, and start asking some difficult questions.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 22, 2021, 01:58:05 AM
Reply #62

GrantyBoy78

I’d like to think we’ve addressed a lot these issues and we’ll start to see the fruits, soon.

We said it’d take years to recover from the Koeman/Walsh era, we weren’t wrong.

Rather than crying over spilt milk, I’m just glad we have had the opportunity to recover and “go again” - clubs like Leeds and QPR didn’t get a second chance.

*Well Leeds did, 20 years later

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

March 22, 2021, 02:29:41 AM
Reply #63

Mayor Farnum

Never thought I'd live to see the day we were compared with QPR.
Everton; we'd like to win as long as we don't upset anyone in doing so.

March 22, 2021, 02:39:49 AM
Reply #64

Waltzer

I'd like to think we've addressed a lot these issues and we'll start to see the fruits, soon.

We said it'd take years to recover from the Koeman/Walsh era, we weren't wrong.

Rather than crying over spilt milk, I'm just glad we have had the opportunity to recover and "go again” - clubs like Leeds and QPR didn't get a second chance.

*Well Leeds did, 20 years later

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
Do you really think we have addressed a lot of these issues? Each to their own but I just see us making the same mistakes over and over again and its the lack of vision that's killing us. It's easy to say it was Koeman and Walsh, but we've had something like 6 windows since they left and don't look any better?
Again this is subjective but there are only really 4 players left from that era, but they've arguably been some of our best performers in DCL, Keane, Sig and of late, Picks.
I genuinely hope you are right, I'm just not sure I see it yet

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:50:04 AM by Waltzer »

March 22, 2021, 02:50:35 AM
Reply #65

Bob Sacamano

I’m shocked that you don’t see it. Shook to the core

March 22, 2021, 03:03:31 AM
Reply #66

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
They’ve made mistakes themselves along the way and I don’t think there was much long term thinking behind them until that league win out of nowhere.

They’ve got their recruitment spot on and built a very good team but they haven’t reinvented the wheel.

Just got a good manager and sign good players.

Our recruitment needs to massively improve if we’re going to achieve anything. I’m still not at all convinced brands has made this squad that much better. Still feels very unbalanced in every area.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

March 22, 2021, 03:06:45 AM
Reply #67

Waltzer

I'm shocked that you don't see it. Shook to the core
That's fine, and I'm happy that you appear to be ok with it and I'd be delighted if you were right, that's honest. But I genuinely struggle to see it, we seem to moan about our recruitment in most match day threads, players aren't fit for the league or are just really poor or old/injured with no longevity. We have a really poor development programme and our under 23s look like they offer the first team next to nothing.
This might be better than it was 3 years ago, but it's not that great imo, but happy to be proven wrong and be interested in your views as to why it's a lot more positive than what I'm inferring. I do think we will improve, but I think that's cause we're investing in Carlo, more than a strategic direction that other clubs appear to adopt

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

March 22, 2021, 03:25:42 AM
Reply #68

Juanito

We are not great at the moment but it’s so much better than a few years ago , when we had a side of strangers, with zero character, who didn’t really even want to be here with a manager who didnt fit either.

Now with signings like Digne, Godfrey, Doucoure, Richarlison and James - instead of Ashley Williams and Klaasen.

Surely we are getting there, albeit slowly.

March 22, 2021, 03:30:19 AM
Reply #69

Shogun

Administrator
I don't have a lot of faith, I just hope things fall together.

Allan and Doucoure for like £45m at their age isn't great business. Like, they're both great, don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather spend £52m on N'didi and Tielemans who are both much younger and imo better players.
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

March 22, 2021, 03:34:04 AM
Reply #70

Bob Sacamano

I think we will make those signings. We’re just a few years behind because we didn’t win the league and we gave their scout a DoF job at our gaff.

March 22, 2021, 03:41:09 AM
Reply #71

Bluedylan

There's patterns to look at eh. Quality of player is key obviously but there's also one other key factor when looking at Leicester's recruitment -

Leicester major incomings 2020/21 -

Fofana - 20
Castagne - 25
Under - 23

Major incomings 2019/20

Tielemans - 23
Perez - 26
Praet - 25
Justin - 22

Major incomings 2018/19

Maddison - 22
Perreira - 25
Soyuncu - 22
Benkovic - 21
Ward - 25

They buy quality young players who will increase in value, and the ability of the players increase under their stewardship, both improving the existing team each season with their growth as players, and increasing the squad value each season. It's a fairly straight forward method, and clubs spending vast amounts of money, like ourselves should be more than capable of replicating it and getting similar outputs.

Rather than panicking at throwing £27-35m at Alex Iwobi at the end of a window, without any plan for him, maybe spend large amounts revolutionising the recruitment department to be among the industry leaders. Crazy idea I know.

They also sell selectively and intelligently to fund their overall growth (Maguire for £80m, Chilwell for £50m, Mahrez for £60m, Drinkwater for £35m).

They haven't got all of their transfers right (of course, no one does), but there aren't too many Iwobis, Sigurdssons and Gomes' in their back catalogue.

It was awful watching us have no money during the Moyes years, and just thinking 'if only we had some spare cash each year, we could really push on from 5th and 6th to that next level'. And we could have. But the money wasn't there and it never came.

Since then we've pissed away over half a billion to oscillate between 7th and 12th in the league.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

March 22, 2021, 03:43:40 AM
Reply #72

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don't have a lot of faith, I just hope things fall together.

Allan and Doucoure for like £45m at their age isn't great business. Like, they're both great, don't get me wrong, but I'd much rather spend £52m on N'didi and Tielemans who are both much younger and imo better players.

That's it isn't it.

We can't out spend the teams we're trying to catch, so we have to be smarter than them.

Unfortunately there's teams above and around us that are easily smarter than us. Buying younger, buying better, not being scared to sell at the right time.

Investing in projects with some longevity rather than a constant churn of we have to do this we have to do that panic panic panic spend spend spend.

March 22, 2021, 03:50:43 AM
Reply #73

kramer0

There's patterns to look at eh. Quality of player is key obviously but there's also one other key factor when looking at Leicester's recruitment -

Leicester major incomings 2020/21 -

Fofana - 20
Castagne - 25
Under - 23

Major incomings 2019/20

Tielemans - 23
Perez - 26
Praet - 25
Justin - 22

Major incomings 2018/19

Maddison - 22
Perreira - 25
Soyuncu - 22
Benkovic - 21
Ward - 25

They buy quality young players who will increase in value, and the ability of the players increase under their stewardship, both improving the existing team each season with their growth as players, and increasing the squad value each season. It's a fairly straight forward method, and clubs spending vast amounts of money, like ourselves should be more than capable of replicating it and getting similar outputs.

Rather than panicking at throwing £27-35m at Alex Iwobi at the end of a window, without any plan for him, maybe spend large amounts revolutionising the recruitment department to be among the industry leaders. Crazy idea I know.

They also sell selectively and intelligently to fund their overall growth (Maguire for £80m, Chilwell for £50m, Mahrez for £60m, Drinkwater for £35m).

They haven't got all of their transfers right (of course, no one does), but there aren't too many Iwobis, Sigurdssons and Gomes' in their back catalogue.

It was awful watching us have no money during the Moyes years, and just thinking 'if only we had some spare cash each year, we could really push on from 5th and 6th to that next level'. And we could have. But the money wasn't there and it never came.

Since then we've pissed away over half a billion to oscillate between 7th and 12th in the league.

Those last two paragraphs say everything.

We have all the cash we’ve ever wanted and we’re somehow worse.

March 22, 2021, 04:04:11 AM
Reply #74

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Think we’re always going to throw money at older players tbh.

I just hope we get it to click somehow over the next two years. Maybe brands will chip away at the younger signings and slowly build a team over time but it’s three years into his reign here and it ain’t great.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown