January 21, 2021, 12:47:07 AM

Author Topic: 3-2 vs 1-0  (Read 1924 times)

December 27, 2020, 02:33:43 PM
Read 1924 times

stirlingblue

At the start of the season we were scoring for fun, but couldn’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives. Now we’ve won four in a row whilst only conceding one goal but we aren’t making a huge amount of chances. I love goals but there’s a certain beauty to a dogged clean sheet.

Do you think we’ll be as solid with our best players back in the side? The likes of James and Digne give massive creativity but we’ll be sacrificing Godfrey and Iwobi’s defensive impacts to fit them in.

December 27, 2020, 03:21:21 PM
Reply #1

toshyboy

It’s about finding the balance I think. We’ll probably be somewhere in between.

December 27, 2020, 05:20:41 PM
Reply #2

sam of the south

At the start of the season we were scoring for fun, but couldn’t keep a clean sheet to save our lives. Now we’ve won four in a row whilst only conceding one goal but we aren’t making a huge amount of chances. I love goals but there’s a certain beauty to a dogged clean sheet.

Do you think we’ll be as solid with our best players back in the side? The likes of James and Digne give massive creativity but we’ll be sacrificing Godfrey and Iwobi’s defensive impacts to fit them in.

I’ve been thinking this.

I would like to accommodate all of those players you’ve mentioned.

So, obviously Digne back in at LB, and have Godfrey in CB or DM, and keep Iwobi as RW, with James coming into the 10.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 27, 2020, 05:24:02 PM
Reply #3

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
There's nothing like a good 3-2 or 4-3 win. Plenty of goals, lots of drama and excitement.

But I think from an opposition team's perspective, I'd be more fearful of facing the team that only wins 1-0 or 2-0 because they are always going to be harder to break down and get something out of the game.
“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

December 27, 2020, 05:32:34 PM
Reply #4

Mayor Farnum

The tight defence and more control of the game gives me more confidence that we are building a sustainable way of playing.
The more we win and confidence grows we will become more expansive.
We still need a big upgrade in about half of the front six before we can go toe to toe with the top teams.
Ask yourself. "What would Lewis Hamilton say?"

December 27, 2020, 06:14:55 PM
Reply #5

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
It's Sigurddsson who makes way for James that's the only change that alters our defensive play but as a 10 it's far less of an issue than when he was rw

December 27, 2020, 07:04:07 PM
Reply #6

Evertonian in NC

Good sides find multiple pathways to victory.  Maybe we are good, or at least pretty good, after all.  Enjoying the ride.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

December 27, 2020, 07:08:39 PM
Reply #7

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
It's Sigurddsson who makes way for James that's the only change that alters our defensive play but as a 10 it's far less of an issue than when he was rw

In fairness, if we’re talking work rate, tracking back, etc Sigurdsson does cover a lot of ground still. He does contribute in a similar manner to Iwobi for instance in putting in the distance covered. His main issue is lacking some of the creativity of Rodriguez, albeit his corners have in part contributed to some of our wins too of late. Just not last night.

December 27, 2020, 07:51:12 PM
Reply #8

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
In fairness, if we’re talking work rate, tracking back, etc Sigurdsson does cover a lot of ground still. He does contribute in a similar manner to Iwobi for instance in putting in the distance covered. His main issue is lacking some of the creativity of Rodriguez, albeit his corners have in part contributed to some of our wins too of late. Just not last night.

Yeah he does more defensive work but in the position he is in the tradeoff isnt huge

December 27, 2020, 08:06:17 PM
Reply #9

Dr. Sponge

Kevin Keegan or José Mourinho?

I know which way brings more trophies.

Park the bus.

@BlueForYou

December 27, 2020, 08:44:14 PM
Reply #10

WeimaranerBlues

winning 3-2 etc brings entertainment , but probably thats all,   goals dry up and still conceding equals defeats.

clean sheets  1-0 wins yeah less enjoyment watching but it don't have to be like watching Burnley.

rather win 2-0 1-0 all day long, over 4-3, 3-2.

December 27, 2020, 08:45:55 PM
Reply #11

ally2

It seems like a trade off but but I don't think the reason we were conceding more goals earlier in the season was because we were particularly cavalier. There were a lot of defensive mistakes. It was mainly shit defending then.

December 27, 2020, 09:07:35 PM
Reply #12

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
It seems like a trade off but but I don't think the reason we were conceding more goals earlier in the season was because we were particularly cavalier. There were a lot of defensive mistakes. It was mainly shit defending then.

If we apply the same "clean sheet" mindset as we are right now, and then add back in the creativity & attack from the first 5 games, striking a perfect balance between the 2, we'll be deadly.
NSNO's CGO. Chief GIF Officer (self-promoted).

December 27, 2020, 09:13:05 PM
Reply #13

Mayor Farnum

I think our recent solidity has come from playing a lot of out and out defenders (through necessity). We still need to find a balance if we are to progress; but there are players to come back and a transfer window around the corner.
Ask yourself. "What would Lewis Hamilton say?"

December 27, 2020, 09:24:51 PM
Reply #14

cantoffee

As most have said, there is a balance to be found.

Issue with how we are playing currently is you only need to make one mistake or face one worldy to make things difficult.

Would certainly prefer we were creating more chances and remaining solid.

With players returning to the team hopefully we can find that balance.

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app