January 21, 2021, 01:28:34 AM

Author Topic: 3-2 vs 1-0  (Read 1925 times)

December 27, 2020, 09:29:25 PM
Reply #15

Everton Mint

EFC Statto

Number of shots on target #EFC faced in the second half in each of their last 4 league games:

Chelsea - 0
Leicester - 0
Arsenal - 0
Sheffield United - 0

Thats why I was confident once we took the lead last night.

December 27, 2020, 09:37:30 PM
Reply #16

Mayor Farnum

As most have said, there is a balance to be found.

Issue with how we are playing currently is you only need to make one mistake or face one worldy to make things difficult.

Would certainly prefer we were creating more chances and remaining solid.

With players returning to the team hopefully we can find that balance.

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Yes, it's not the system you want when you concede first.
Ask yourself. "What would Lewis Hamilton say?"

December 27, 2020, 10:11:38 PM
Reply #17

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I think our recent solidity has come from playing a lot of out and out defenders (through necessity). We still need to find a balance if we are to progress; but there are players to come back and a transfer window around the corner.

To be honest, it reminds me of that period under Moyes where Lescott was used as a makeshift LB, I think when Baines was injured. Kinda forget the reason. Anyhow, having that extra height in there seemed to help us at the time and provide a little extra solidity in our back line, and an extra threat at corners too.

December 27, 2020, 10:14:54 PM
Reply #18

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
As most have said, there is a balance to be found.

Issue with how we are playing currently is you only need to make one mistake or face one worldy to make things difficult.

Would certainly prefer we were creating more chances and remaining solid.

With players returning to the team hopefully we can find that balance.

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Yeah, in it's own way it's pretty high risk too even though it appears less cavalier. As if we concede first, it's going to be a huge challenge to win the game from that point as we're not likely to be scoring 3 or 4 in this setup.

Pretty much whoever scored first yesterday was going to win that game.

December 28, 2020, 12:18:31 AM
Reply #19

Everton Mint

If it works does it matter ?

Everton have won 9 out of 18 away league games with Carlo Ancelotti in charge - as many as they managed in their previous 55 away league games.

December 28, 2020, 12:47:41 AM
Reply #20

stirlingblue

I’m interested to see if we stick with the formation and put James in the 10, might make a few people wake up to how much work Sig has been getting through off the ball when it disappears

December 28, 2020, 12:50:30 AM
Reply #21

Bluedylan

I don't think the discussion is 'if it works, does it matter how we get results?', I think it's more 'will we keep getting these results, if we play this way for the rest of the season?', and the answer is almost certainly not (in my view, and according to Xg).

Please don't misunderstand, the results have been fantastic, Carlo's done a great job of adapting the squad to a more limited style in a difficult period, and we're in a great position.

But this isn't how Carlo Ancelotti envisages his teams playing football longterm, and when we get the injured players back I imagine we'll be looking to play closer to the early part of the season than this current period.

As people have said, it's about balance and tradeoffs. If we look to play more expansively generally, we will concede more chances on our goal inevitably.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

December 28, 2020, 02:16:50 AM
Reply #22

sam of the south

His main issue is lacking some of the creativity of Rodriguez

Some?
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

December 28, 2020, 03:24:19 AM
Reply #23

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
To be honest, it reminds me of that period under Moyes where Lescott was used as a makeshift LB, I think when Baines was injured. Kinda forget the reason. Anyhow, having that extra height in there seemed to help us at the time and provide a little extra solidity in our back line, and an extra threat at corners too.
Lescott was a great left back for us before Baines established himself. Think that was the season Lescott scored a bunch of goals as well.

Then he moved central and Baines came in and the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

December 28, 2020, 03:55:56 AM
Reply #24

ajax_andy

Lescott was a great left back for us before Baines established himself. Think that was the season Lescott scored a bunch of goals as well.

Then he moved central and Baines came in and the rest is history.

Think he scored 11 that season didn't he?

*Across all comps, not league goals

December 28, 2020, 05:10:27 AM
Reply #25

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Think he scored 11 that season didn't he?

*Across all comps, not league goals
Think he did. Was a very good return

“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

December 28, 2020, 05:37:10 AM
Reply #26

howard1334

As others have noted, a lot of our early season defensive struggles were down to individual errors, particularly from Pickford.  But some of our recent improvement probably is also down to not having Digne and James in the team.

Regardless, I think we will need to accommodate both when healthy.  Moving James centrally should help.  I also might continue to start Holgate/Godfrey at right back.  Having both Digne and Coleman bombing forward is too much against certain opposition, particularly since neither Allan nor Doucoure are true holding midfielders.

December 28, 2020, 02:33:56 PM
Reply #27

BlueForYou

In our 1969-70 Championship winning season we won 18 games by the odd goal:

10 by 1-0

5 by 2-1

3 by 3-2

In the space of four days we beat Spurs in the League by 1-0 & 3-2

Keep the bus rolling, take the lead and then park the bus, but don't stall it

Good question, good thread
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

December 28, 2020, 08:20:53 PM
Reply #28

Danny

Keeping cleansheets is better for the overall teams confidence and unity, if you’re drawing a lot of games 0-0 it’s the strikers who feel deflated, if you’re conceding a lot the defence and keeper get slaughtered.