March 05, 2021, 01:44:59 AM

Author Topic: European Conference League  (Read 2258 times)

February 22, 2021, 12:13:47 AM
Read 2258 times

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Somehow, I'd avoided all news about this. There is a new European competition, a third tier, coming next season? So it'd be Champions League, Europa League, then this new European Conference League. Teams who finish 6th or 7th in the PL qualify and teams drop in from the EL in later rounds it seems like (as CL teams drop in the EL):

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/explained-what-is-the-third-european-competition-how-will-it/15u1njf5fwugp1tujg7p6d6mqq

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/news/0264-10fe90612aa3-37b2bc77f89e-1000--europa-conference-league-lowdown/

February 22, 2021, 12:51:23 AM
Reply #1

ajax_andy

Somehow, I'd avoided all news about this. There is a new European competition, a third tier, coming next season? So it'd be Champions League, Europa League, then this new European Conference League. Teams who finish 6th or 7th in the PL qualify and teams drop in from the EL in later rounds it seems like (as CL teams drop in the EL):

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/explained-what-is-the-third-european-competition-how-will-it/15u1njf5fwugp1tujg7p6d6mqq

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/news/0264-10fe90612aa3-37b2bc77f89e-1000--europa-conference-league-lowdown/

So it's inferior to the Europa League, but if you get knocked out you go in to the Europa League?  That can't be right surely?

February 22, 2021, 12:58:12 AM
Reply #2

74Blue

So it's inferior to the Europa League, but if you get knocked out you go in to the Europa League?  That can't be right surely?
No, if you're knocked out of the Europa League, you drop into the Conference. The conferemce winner gets a place in the following year's Europa League just like the Europa League winner gets a place in the Champions League.
It all feels like the creation of a European league via the back door to be honest.

February 22, 2021, 01:19:35 AM
Reply #3

ajax_andy

No, if you're knocked out of the Europa League, you drop into the Conference. The conferemce winner gets a place in the following year's Europa League just like the Europa League winner gets a place in the Champions League.
It all feels like the creation of a European league via the back door to be honest.

Ah ok I get you....yeah you're probably right.  Hate how they do stuff like this.  Doesn't feel very prestigious winning the bloody conference does it?

February 22, 2021, 01:20:04 AM
Reply #4

KoemansNumberTens

I was under the impression it wouldn't impact on the English clubs unless they went out of the Europa league. Seems this article is saying the last Europa place is now gone and we'll get this shite instead.
Surely no English side is going to be interested in this? The Europa league barely pays. The quality of this competition will be terrible

February 22, 2021, 01:50:16 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Donít know why they donít just reinstate the cup winners cup

February 22, 2021, 01:57:35 AM
Reply #6

Simon Paul

Administrator
That's exactly how it is

"poorer" leagues eventually won't get Champions League spaces but can "gain promotion" by winning these things

Terrible idea

February 22, 2021, 02:42:53 AM
Reply #7

ajax_andy

Agreed, would love to see them bring that back!

February 23, 2021, 03:45:10 AM
Reply #8

van der Meyde

Easy answer is that the cup winners have already qualified for something else they'd rather enter...

February 23, 2021, 04:20:19 AM
Reply #9

KoemansNumberTens

So 7th is this now? Do any of us even want to be in the conference league? Seems like no money no big games and a long slog to win something that is pretty laughable really.

We'd be comfortable favourites for this if we qualify

February 23, 2021, 04:27:51 AM
Reply #10

Bob Sacamano

February 23, 2021, 04:39:56 AM
Reply #11

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Iím all for it.

Itís a competition thatís very winnable for us.

The cup winners cup was a third tier euro comp and winning that was the greatest moment in our history.

We should be looking at this as our best chance at winning a trophy.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

February 23, 2021, 05:37:23 AM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

The Cup Winners Cup had a fair bit of prestige then though. Teams like Bayern would regularly pop up there.

My understanding is that the CWC was on a par with the UEFA Cup at the least, and in some seasons would be stronger.

I do think the Europa Conference League is a fair bit less prestigious that the old CWC.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

February 23, 2021, 07:24:05 AM
Reply #13

KoemansNumberTens

Think there's a good chance this will end up more something your mocked for winning than get any credit

The standard is going to be terrible. Give our younger players something to do though
Can't see any English club really wanting to be involved in this

February 23, 2021, 01:22:18 PM
Reply #14

Bob Sacamano