April 15, 2021, 08:08:32 PM

Author Topic: Can We Make Europe?  (Read 12473 times)

Toddacelli, KoemansNumberTens and 35 Guests are viewing this topic.

February 26, 2021, 12:32:26 AM
Reply #15

Sixx1402

West Ham beating us was a propper shitter.
Yeah and the game was disgraceful from what I remember aswell, both teams were garbage
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume

February 26, 2021, 12:53:38 AM
Reply #16

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
European qualification by winning the FA Cup is still my preference.

Winning the Anfield Derby and winning a trophy again would work wonders for changing the mentality at this club

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

February 26, 2021, 01:10:50 AM
Reply #17

Sixx1402

European qualification by winning the FA Cup is still my preference.

Winning the Anfield Derby and winning a trophy again would work wonders for changing the mentality at this club

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Honestly I'd be over the moon with the FA Cup
Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume

February 26, 2021, 02:25:07 PM
Reply #18

Bluedylan

I think if you offered Ancelotti a Europa League qualification now, he'd bite your hand off.

Having said that, when we get to the summer, we'll look back and one of the teams around our area in the table will have put the run together they needed to, to get that Top 4 spot, in the final 12/13 games. Received wisdom will tell you it's likely to be Chelsea or Liverpool based on their resources, experience and quality but it's also not completely unthinkable that it could be Everton, (dare I say) West Ham or even Spurs.

The things that could potentially be in favour, as I see it :

- A pretty much fully fit squad, with one game per week for most weeks. Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have European games at the moment. Not to mention, some squads have more injuries than us.
- Alan, our best central midfielder, coming back into the team and revitalising a key area.
- Richarlison, after a pretty poor season by his standards, just coming into form nicely. If he went on a tear for the rest of the season, along with DCL still scoring, that could propel us right up the table.
- Teams are going to keep taking points off each other around us. West Ham have City, Man U, Leeds and Arsenal to play in their next 4 games, Chelsea have Man U, Liverpool and us in their next three games. Every game is tricky for Liverpool at the moment. We might not necessarily need an outstanding total to get Top 4.
- We have a way of playing to get results against the big teams now, and a smart, experienced manager who is giving us tactical flexibility.
- A massive confidence boost with the derby result, and getting over a huge hurdle for the club as a whole. Sometimes those kind of results and breakthroughs can be the catalyst for a marked improvement in a team.

And the negatives, as I see them, re: an unlikely Top 4 finish for us:

- We haven't yet found a way of playing on the front foot, to put the 'should win' games away for the kind of form you normally need for Top 4.
- One of Chelsea or Liverpool have the capability to put a series of wins together that would make it difficult for the others.
- There's 4 others teams to probably overcome (Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs). We might be able to finish above 1, 2 or 3 of them, but all 4 is a big ask.

I think this week is pretty big for any outside chances of Top 4 that we might have. Not that it will be decided in any way, but we have Soton and West Brom in 3 days, and then the trip to Chelsea straight after that. If we got out of that with 6-9 points, we are right in the mixer. If it's 4 points or less, while it's not over, it would set us back a fair bit.

Just to reiterate, I'm not expecting a Top 4 push. I would be overjoyed with Europa League, as most people would, but there's no denying that there is an opportunity for a club to surprise everyone, and if a lot of things go right for us between now and the end of the season, maybe it could be us. We'll see...
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

February 26, 2021, 03:59:12 PM
Reply #19

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Top five for me is guaranteed, perhaps not in this order :

City
Liverpool
Leicester
Chelsea
United

It's that last top 6 speck, that spurs, villa, arsenal, west ham and ourselves are probably in the mix for.

Away results have been over and above what we could ever have expected.

Home results have been way below what we could have expected.

Maybe they'll meet in the middle and we'll put in some okay form? Next 5/6 games Chelsea aside could be a great platform, but just because we managed an historic win against the shite does not mean we should expect to win every game going forward. We are going to lose games you expect us to do better in, we just need to dig out enough to stay in that fight and hope west ham drop off and arsenal and spurs continue to struggle.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 26, 2021, 04:11:50 PM
Reply #20

Bluedylan

Top five for me is guaranteed, perhaps not in this order :

City
Liverpool
Leicester
Chelsea
United

It's that last top 6 speck, that spurs, villa, arsenal, west ham and ourselves are probably in the mix for.

Away results have been over and above what we could ever have expected.

Home results have been way below what we could have expected.

Maybe they'll meet in the middle and we'll put in some okay form? Next 5/6 games Chelsea aside could be a great platform, but just because we managed an historic win against the shite does not mean we should expect to win every game going forward. We are going to lose games you expect us to do better in, we just need to dig out enough to stay in that fight and hope west ham drop off and arsenal and spurs continue to struggle.

I take your points and they're all well made, but I'm not sure how Liverpool will fare with centre back of Ben Davies, Kabak and Nat Phillips for the rest of the season, and with the captain out in centre mid all season. Most reds I've spoken to and listened to think they're unlikely to make Top 4 now. Doesn't mean they won't like. They also have a lot of fixtures where you naturally think 'Liverpool win' but then you look closer and those teams will be low blocking the fuck out of them, and that's what they struggle with.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

February 26, 2021, 04:22:19 PM
Reply #21

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I take your points and they're all well made, but I'm not sure how Liverpool will fare with centre back of Ben Davies, Kabak and Nat Phillips for the rest of the season, and with the captain out in centre mid all season. Most reds I've spoken to and listened to think they're unlikely to make Top 4 now. Doesn't mean they won't like. They also have a lot of fixtures where you naturally think 'Liverpool win' but then you look closer and those teams will be low blocking the fuck out of them, and that's what they struggle with.

I mean hopefully they don't score another goal all year, but they are still the second best side in the country and their underlying numbers are still easily top 4. Clearly there are *other things* that have gone against them like.

Imo they finish no lower than third, but everything crossed they completely collapse.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 26, 2021, 04:37:41 PM
Reply #22

adaml

Don't forget this year there is no europa league place for the league Cup winners it's the Europa conference league.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

February 26, 2021, 04:40:59 PM
Reply #23

adaml

1-4: champions league
5th: europa league
6/7th: europa conference
Fa cup: europa
League Cup: europa conference

If the cup winners are already qualified for a European competition then that place goes to the next in the league.

Is this right for this season? Trying to work out what we could be in

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

February 26, 2021, 05:02:41 PM
Reply #24

Bluenose 91

I mean hopefully they don't score another goal all year, but they are still the second best side in the country and their underlying numbers are still easily top 4. Clearly there are *other things* that have gone against them like.

Imo they finish no lower than third, but everything crossed they completely collapse.

Really don't want to write them off because fucking hell I've made that mistake too many times.

But they look in seriously bad shape this time round.  The injuries keep piling up and I think in general their way of playing has been found out a bit.

They'll get the odd result against teams like Leipzig who play in to their hands but they are struggling big time up against anyone that can defend well.

Long may it continue.

February 26, 2021, 05:12:15 PM
Reply #25

Toffee1

NSNO Subscriber
Henderson has been ruled out for about a month now.

February 26, 2021, 05:25:23 PM
Reply #26

Bluedylan

Henderson has been ruled out for about a month now.

And Klopp notoriously underreports injuries. A lot of talk in their fanbase that it's closer to 3 months. Thiago was supposedly out for a few weeks, and that ended being 3 months.

February 26, 2021, 07:01:00 PM
Reply #27

Free Agent

It was a groin injury which required surgery. Iím not a doctor but that doesnít sound like a month away to me, more like 2 or more.

February 26, 2021, 07:37:22 PM
Reply #28

Cereal Killer

It was a groin injury which required surgery. Iím not a doctor but that doesnít sound like a month away to me, more like 2 or more.

I read somewhere that stated 8 weeks minimum, but then went on to say heíd only miss 5 games, pretty sure they play more than 5 games in two months!

February 26, 2021, 08:08:59 PM
Reply #29

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
Think top 4 has to be the goal and Europa a formality.

I look forward to the days this actually becomes our mindset and the norm.

For this season - I think we've a chance of getting in top 6 but it will be really tight. Maybe there's an extra spot if City win all the cups?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates