September 18, 2021, 02:12:59 PM

Author Topic: Everton V Southampton 1st March 8pm ko  (Read 27293 times)

February 26, 2021, 12:10:18 AM
Reply #15

ajax_andy

I'd probably pick Coleman at RB since Holgate's had a few noticeable stinkers there recently. Not sure it makes a big difference either way though.

James can pop up wherever he likes, that midfield and the two other forwards put the work in to cover for his fluid positioning.

Those are definitely the first choice midfield and attacking trios. Good balance plus there are so many permutations of how you can change it up depending on how the match goes.

Aye Coleman for me too, especially considering you'd be asking the full backs to provide the width, which Holgate definitely can't do.

Also 2 up top allows us to go direct and beat the high press, so think this lineup is spot on personally.

February 26, 2021, 01:34:21 AM
Reply #16

stirlingblue

Theyíll have watched us vs Fulham and will press us high, we need to be able to play through it if we want to get anything out of this.

Davies is key, but as important for me is Keane as it gives us an option to go direct in behind with some degree of accuracy. Pickford will help too actually, he can bypass with a good pass too.

February 26, 2021, 02:04:06 AM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Theyíll have watched us vs Fulham and will press us high, we need to be able to play through it if we want to get anything out of this.

Davies is key, but as important for me is Keane as it gives us an option to go direct in behind with some degree of accuracy. Pickford will help too actually, he can bypass with a good pass too.

We coped with the press vs Leeds away and most of the better teams weíve beaten press too.

So Iíd assume that itís partly a mental approach in these games where we maybe havenít been expecting it and therefore havenít played at the tempo required.

February 26, 2021, 02:16:20 AM
Reply #18

kramer0

The problem in the Fulham match wasn't what they did to us but what we did to ourselves.

The lineup was full of slow central players who all got caught standing on top of each other in the middle of the pitch, with and without the ball.

It was very easy for Fulham to space out their back three in possession, distribute the ball to their wingers, and get their wing backs up in support. That led to plenty of 2v1's against our full backs and, in turn, chance after Fulham chance.

If Carlo ever picks another team like that, he's a lunatic.

February 26, 2021, 03:17:54 AM
Reply #19

Bluenose 91

More or less back to one game a week now and no long term injuries so hopefully we'll see less of the galaxy brain selections by Ancelotti in these type of games especially.

February 26, 2021, 03:28:06 AM
Reply #20

Bob Sacamano

Iím already bored only having 1 game a week.

February 26, 2021, 03:31:10 AM
Reply #21

kramer0

I'm already bored only having 1 game a week.

It should eventually lead to a better standard of play from us but itís very strange not playing midweek after the run weíve had.

February 26, 2021, 03:40:26 AM
Reply #22

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Caught between wanting to go 442 and just get into them, not much footy but DCL and Richarlison too much to handle for a side that isn't quite at it....Vs going 433 and seeing Davies in the 6 with Doucoure and Allan up and down running the show.

We're maybe not quite in the right place to go 433 just yet and I feel like that could see us flat and get rolled. Maybe save the 433 for someone else.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 26, 2021, 04:30:55 AM
Reply #23

Danny

Think we're going to pump these, it does seem like things are slotting into place now and Southampton are struggling at the moment.

An exciting 4-1 I reckon.

February 26, 2021, 05:30:45 AM
Reply #24

Old England Toffee

The problem in the Fulham match wasn't what they did to us but what we did to ourselves.

The lineup was full of slow central players who all got caught standing on top of each other in the middle of the pitch, with and without the ball.

It was very easy for Fulham to space out their back three in possession, distribute the ball to their wingers, and get their wing backs up in support. That led to plenty of 2v1's against our full backs and, in turn, chance after Fulham chance.

If Carlo ever picks another team like that, he's a lunatic.

was also the players playing shite as well. painful in that game and the newcastle ones with the commentators saying how great they played, when really it was us being absolute dog poo

February 26, 2021, 05:38:24 AM
Reply #25

Old England Toffee

Caught between wanting to go 442 and just get into them, not much footy but DCL and Richarlison too much to handle for a side that isn't quite at it....Vs going 433 and seeing Davies in the 6 with Doucoure and Allan up and down running the show.

We're maybe not quite in the right place to go 433 just yet and I feel like that could see us flat and get rolled. Maybe save the 433 for someone else.
I john moncur. Either way though I think the energy is crucial if we can start quickly for once we will be fine. With Richy, Davies Douc and a fully fit Allan and DCL we will be fine. Without Romeu and Diallo they will be light in midfield I would think, cant imagine they have many other options. I would like to see Iwobi here too, but not sure where he would fit.

February 26, 2021, 08:09:15 AM
Reply #26

Dr. Sponge

Richarlison to have a blinder and bag a brace.

February 26, 2021, 01:42:07 PM
Reply #27

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
I'd probably pick Coleman at RB since Holgate's had a few noticeable stinkers there recently. Not sure it makes a big difference either way though.

James can pop up wherever he likes, that midfield and the two other forwards put the work in to cover for his fluid positioning.

Those are definitely the first choice midfield and attacking trios. Good balance plus there are so many permutations of how you can change it up depending on how the match goes.

"Good balance plus there are so many permutations of how you can change it up depending on how the match goes."

This is something we've seen before from Ancelotti that I don't really recall from any previous manager (lthough my memory is dogshit tbf) - different formations during a game with the same players. And not just a "with the ball Vs without the ball" set-up - I mean switching it up a bit and reacting to get us on the ball more, or to cut out threats.

Like you say, these are deffo our 1st choice midfield and attack. If we can settle into this as we're not having games every 5 mins, then I think Carlo will feel he has the choice to really work this 1st XI and squad players to turn us into a side that can do what he asks of them during a game.

Exciting times!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

February 26, 2021, 06:01:29 PM
Reply #28

Cods

Another fucking 8pm start... causing murder in our house

Quite enjoying these this season, except for the performances we usually turn in.

7am kickoff beats midnight~4am every time. 

February 26, 2021, 07:19:11 PM
Reply #29

Shogun

Administrator
I hate playing these, it feels like we never play well against them. I concur with previous comments though, we just have to win this in whatever way it takes. If we're serious with a few months of the season left to play about getting into Europe then we can't keep following up big wins with results against the likes of Fulham, West Ham and Newcastle. We simply have to win these sort of games from here.
If you're not angry, you're not listening.