August 06, 2021, 10:37:24 AM

Author Topic: Euro 2020  (Read 87851 times)

June 21, 2021, 03:58:44 AM
Reply #1680

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Thought the England game was 8pm on Tuesday?

You are correct. There's still only the 2 matches but they're both at 8 and not 5 for some reason. Work day lets supporters see the match?
I came here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

June 21, 2021, 04:00:05 AM
Reply #1681

ajax_andy

You are correct. There's still only the 2 matches but they're both at 8 and not 5 for some reason. Work day lets supporters see the match?

Phew thought I'd got the times wrong for a minute there... Don't think my 6 year old would have been happy if I'd switched the match on at 8 and it'd already finished an hour earlier 😂

June 21, 2021, 04:00:37 AM
Reply #1682

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Phew thought I'd got the times wrong for a minute there... Don't think my 6 year old would have been happy if I'd switched the match on at 8 and it'd already finished an hour earlier 😂

Blame it on the idiot across the pond.

June 21, 2021, 04:06:44 AM
Reply #1683

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Glad you guys made it through.

Oh sorry, don't mean to be on the "wind-up." :wanker:

Who said you’re on the wind up?
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

June 21, 2021, 04:08:58 AM
Reply #1684

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Who said you’re on the wind up?

You can begin reading at post #1634. :cheers:

June 21, 2021, 04:11:56 AM
Reply #1685

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
You can begin reading at post #1634. :cheers:

Fuck that shit - I’m busy
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

June 21, 2021, 04:12:00 AM
Reply #1686

ajax_andy

Blame it on the idiot across the pond.

You should have just blamed the time difference and said you meant 5pm your time 😜

June 21, 2021, 05:57:53 AM
Reply #1687

Shogun

Administrator
It's cool yo.

I just think a third generation Italian American sending an actual Welshman, who's very proud of his Welshness, little windup messages ahead of the game is a bit tacky.

Brownie will be sound and magnanimous, but I don't really care about offending delicate sensibilities, as you've gathered.

It was obviously just a bit of light-hearted banter, which kind of is a big part of football. If I were watching Copa America and had some sort of heritage stemming from a country in South America then I'd probably support them during it. I find the whole American culture of "I'm Italian" "I'm Irish" a bit strange and can see how it would wind up someone who was actually Italian or Irish, but this isn't really the case here. There's nothing wrong with someone who doesn't have their own country involved in a major tournament enjoying the tournament and getting involved by rooting for another country that they're connected with.
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

June 21, 2021, 06:10:34 AM
Reply #1688

bluestevie

Day 10 and Group A ends with the Welsh fans celebrating a place in the knockouts for the second straight Euros despite going down 1-0 to Italy. Switzerland will have to wait until after Wednesday's games to find out if they'll progress but they ended the group stage in style with a 3-1 win over what's proven to be a hapless Turkey side. Wales for finishing second will now head to Amsterdam for their last 16 tie next Saturday with Italy, as group winners, heading to Wembley for their tie

Day 11 wraps up Groups B and C, the latter kicking off the evenings action as group winners the Netherlands face North Macedonia while Austria and Ukraine meet in Bucharest with the winner heading into the knockouts to face Italy and the loser facing a wait. The action then switches to Group B where Belgium, pretty much guaranteed to win the group, can have a say who joins them in the knockouts as they face Finland in Saint Petersburg while Russia face Denmark in Copenhagen knowing they only have to better the Finnish result to go through. Whoever does finish 2nd in B will face Wales while Belgium will head to Seville for their tie
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

June 21, 2021, 11:12:34 AM
Reply #1689

MrWhite

It's so all teams get three full days off.

June 21, 2021, 01:26:02 PM
Reply #1690

Jamokachi

It was obviously just a bit of light-hearted banter, which kind of is a big part of football. If I were watching Copa America and had some sort of heritage stemming from a country in South America then I'd probably support them during it. I find the whole American culture of "I'm Italian" "I'm Irish" a bit strange and can see how it would wind up someone who was actually Italian or Irish, but this isn't really the case here. There's nothing wrong with someone who doesn't have their own country involved in a major tournament enjoying the tournament and getting involved by rooting for another country that they're connected with.

It's the same here in Australia. 2nd, 3rd generation "imports" really cling to that sense of belonging that the "old country" brings them. Huge Greek, Italian, Lebanese and Irish communities made up of people that are born and bread Australians. I imagine it's instilled in them from a young age and is passed down from generation to generation so as to not forget their routes, and potentially the struggle that their parents/grandparents etc went through to provide a better life.

@YankeeBlue214 can get fucked tho, he thought Wales was in England up until the other day ;) 

June 21, 2021, 01:59:37 PM
Reply #1691

wepull

No I also have a close British-Italian friend (Napolitan ironically), who comments on the same thing. I'm also mates with a British-Indian lad, who remarks on exactly the same thing when they go visit family in India. They aren't treated as Indian. It's quote a common phenomenon, the world over. I used to go out with a girl who's family were from Pakistan. Exactly the same. They'd go back to Pakistan and were treated with rudeness and abruptness by the 'locals'. Not viewed as Pakistani, even one generation removed. Open your eyes and ears, Escla.
The Brit- Indian thing is not the same. They are still very welcomed here, I have cousins and nephews born in different countries and everyone looks forward to meeting them. This is the case in general with everyone I know out here who have any relatives staying in any part of the world. They are definitely considered as Indians, we are just worried if they consider themselves as Indians or not.

Also affinity with a country which you have a lineage to shouldn't be that shocking, I mean I support a club which is in a country where I have never been to or have absolutely zero connection to and still feel emotionally drained when things go wrong with a club.

June 21, 2021, 02:42:12 PM
Reply #1692

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
The Spirit seems so good in that Italian squad. Reminds me of them in 2006, not fancied pre tournament at all. Strange that this Italy side doesn't seem to play like the historic Italy sides. Nowhere near as cautious and lots of new faces in there, while keeping the old heads of Chiellini, Bonucci, Veratti around for Continuity, and still looking really tough to score against

Only other possible champions I'd say are France, Germany or Belgium. Little reminder from Germany on Saturday that they are still a force to be reckoned with. France typical not started on fire but have just got so many dangerous players. My worry for Belgium would be their defence

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

June 21, 2021, 02:55:54 PM
Reply #1693

wepull

The Spirit seems so good in that Italian squad. Reminds me of them in 2006, not fancied pre tournament at all. Strange that this Italy side doesn't seem to play like the historic Italy sides. Nowhere near as cautious and lots of new faces in there, while keeping the old heads of Chiellini, Bonucci, Veratti around for Continuity, and still looking really tough to score against

Only other possible champions I'd say are France, Germany or Belgium. Little reminder from Germany on Saturday that they are still a force to be reckoned with. France typical not started on fire but have just got so many dangerous players. My worry for Belgium would be their defence

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Would add Portugal to the list even though they lost against Germany. Good players at almost every position

June 21, 2021, 03:19:02 PM
Reply #1694

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Still wouldn’t write off England at this stage tbh.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown