September 22, 2021, 05:35:50 AM

Author Topic: Rafa Benitez Appointed Manager  (Read 80224 times)

July 01, 2021, 06:44:23 AM
Reply #240

Toffee_4_Life

I've just got in from work so not sure if this has cropped up in the previous 16 pages. But easy to forget how well he came across during the horrible Rhys Jones incident.

Pretty sure at the time I remember seeing that Parry didn't want Zcars played but Benitez had a hand in makig sure It happened.

https://twitter.com/johnmully1/status/1410322044777025536?

July 01, 2021, 07:14:51 AM
Reply #241

Cods

Thought his interview was very good to be fair.

Easy to see how he can bowl people over when interviewed for jobs.

Not too bad, but that could be the problem, especially if he doesn’t “walk the walk” as he suggests.

All the video snippets of Dunc, Denise, Unsworth etc walking around the grounds looked very awkward.
Not only did it look it, there was obviously added pressure on them all, including and especially Benitez, to make it look less awkward, which just made it worse. Very uncomfortable.

July 01, 2021, 12:55:13 PM
Reply #242

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I imagine they'd both get a say, isnt this how it always works with a DoF and a manager?

Signing players without a manager's agreement would be just as bad as the other way around.

Yeah it can work in slightly different ways.

Common one is manager says I want a LB, say, with x, y, z qualities.

You would assume that the parameters such as age and price will be set by the club

DoF then presents lists of players who have those qualities and the manager picks which one he prefers

I would also suppose it’s not inconceivable that managers can present their own player(s) and if the DoF agrees with them and they fit in the club’s parameters (age, price) then it can work that way round.

Re Brands walking he’s,

a) not chosen either of the 2 previous, permanent managers since he’s been here, and

b) seemingly signed players who have been requested by said managers whilst also signing players who he has identified

I don’t see why this would be any different now and therefore why he would walk. The previous 3 years suggest that he knows the score and is happy with that arrangement. He signed a new deal a couple of months ago - I can’t believe that he was told that he’d have 100% control over transfers when they thought Ancelotti was still going to be here.

Also, if that wasn’t the case he wouldn’t need to wait for another job as whilst his reputation gets worse, I’d imagine that he’d have a pretty strong case for constructive dismissal as, the way things are taken, he has over half of his job taken away from him.

So I would suggest that the evidence points to him not being as emasculated as is feared and that he’s aware/ satisfied with the input from the owner re managers and the managers re players

July 01, 2021, 12:59:17 PM
Reply #243

wepull

No point complaining now. Will support him, fuck the board though.  Hopefully we buy some good young players which will set us up for the future.

July 01, 2021, 01:49:19 PM
Reply #245

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I cannot believe I clicked on a daily star link 🤦‍♀️

July 01, 2021, 01:50:55 PM
Reply #246

ajax_andy

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/everton-rafa-benitez-brands-24434054

The only thing that makes me a but skeptical about these claims is that they already have a relationship from walking their dogs and being neighbours.  So I could easily see him and Brands having had lots of chats in the past about how he could take us forward if given the job at some point.

If they know each other, like each other, then it's half the battle already won with working together, so Brands strongly opposing the appointment seems a bit weird to me.

Can't help feeling him not being there has caused some wild speculation to be passed off as fact, but could be wrong.

July 01, 2021, 01:56:03 PM
Reply #247

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
The only thing that makes me a but skeptical about these claims is that they already have a relationship from walking their dogs and being neighbours.  So I could easily see him and Brands having had lots of chats in the past about how he could take us forward if given the job at some point.

If they know each other, like each other, then it's half the battle already won with working together, so Brands strongly opposing the appointment seems a bit weird to me.

Can't help feeling him not being there has caused some wild speculation to be passed off as fact, but could be wrong.

Well that and the person who wrote it, the person who proof read it, and the editor didn’t think to fix the caption text.

I can’t believe I clicked a daily star link.

July 01, 2021, 02:22:53 PM
Reply #248

Free Agent

I imagine they'd both get a say, isnt this how it always works with a DoF and a manager?

Signing players without a manager's agreement would be just as bad as the other way around.

You mean like we did with King back in January?

July 01, 2021, 02:38:00 PM
Reply #249

dazfrancis

Either there is some tension there or it was just awful PR front the club to not have a statement and explainer from the director of football as part of the initial announcement. It was obviously going to lead to rumours.

It just poor either way and shows you how the club is run at the top.

Ultimately, i don't think Moshiri or Usmanov care about running the club properly they just want a return on their investment. With the added bonus of playing real-life Football Manager on top. They're oligarchs who made most of the wealth due to the collapse of the soviet Union being a wild west where anyone with enough balls and some know how could acquire some very lucrative assets. Which they subsequently invested very well. They're not FTSE100 CEO's running large organisations hands-on on a day to day basis.

July 01, 2021, 02:40:27 PM
Reply #250

Free Agent

July 01, 2021, 03:05:44 PM
Reply #251

stirlingblue

He better not have a slow start. Can't see him surviving an extremely poor start. The atmosphere will be beyond toxic.

Based upon what we’ve heard from this appointment I doubt Moshiri cares if the fans get toxic 🤷‍♂️

July 01, 2021, 03:09:30 PM
Reply #252

kerryblue boy

His wage reported to be between 6/7 million a year according to the red echo

July 01, 2021, 03:18:13 PM
Reply #253

Bluerin

The only thing that makes me a but skeptical about these claims is that they already have a relationship from walking their dogs and being neighbours.
Did they ever walk dogs together?
Did anyone ever see them walking dogs?
Maybe this has got lost in translation a bit. Maybe they went dogging together.
In which case l don't want to see a photo of the two of them together.

July 01, 2021, 03:22:48 PM
Reply #254

BlueForYou

Nightmare neighbours, probably

There are certain boundaries you should not cross, can feel a dispute coming on here when Brands gets back
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick