September 19, 2021, 05:52:33 AM

Author Topic: Letting the game flow / referees  (Read 889 times)

September 14, 2021, 04:11:50 AM
Read 889 times

ajax_andy

I know the new directive is to let the game flow, but some of the Burnley fouls tonight we're reckless and dangerous... It's not so much the little half fouls they're letting go, they're not giving cards for really bad challenges.

Is the not giving cards part of the directive?  I'm happy for games to flow, but challenges like the Tarkowski aren't letting the game flow, they're going to cause a serious injury to someone.  Challenges like that have dropped from red to not even a foul, absolutely bizarre.

September 14, 2021, 11:57:51 AM
Reply #1

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I know the new directive is to let the game flow, but some of the Burnley fouls tonight we're reckless and dangerous... It's not so much the little half fouls they're letting go, they're not giving cards for really bad challenges.

Is the not giving cards part of the directive?  I'm happy for games to flow, but challenges like the Tarkowski aren't letting the game flow, they're going to cause a serious injury to someone.  Challenges like that have dropped from red to not even a foul, absolutely bizarre.

Refs trying to
Find the balance agin. There will be inconsistencies but itís making for better football. Richarlison had a smirk on his face afterwards but it was a yellow for sure. Ok with it not being red personally.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Imam Jagne, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

September 14, 2021, 02:57:04 PM
Reply #2

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I think that was just poor refereeing on that challenge tbf.  Should have been a yellow, simple as that.

As long as they're consistent in terms of what's allowed now then that's fine, let the games flow more.  I don't think anyone would complain about that.

It's also noticeable that the post-goal VAR fear is much lessened this season too.

September 14, 2021, 09:12:33 PM
Reply #3

chang

Last night - Everton 3 fouls, 1 booking Townsend, Burnley 6 fouls, 1 booking Brownhill.
https://www.premierleague.com/match/66376

Last season March 21st - Everton 9 fouls, no yellows, Burnley 6 fouls, 4 yellows !
https://www.premierleague.com/match/59168

September 15, 2021, 12:10:03 AM
Reply #4

ajax_andy

Gary Neville talking about it (someone posted a link in the match day thread) was spot on with his assessment... Basically needs to be looked at again as things aren't right with some of the challenges being let off.

September 15, 2021, 01:40:35 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Think itís then difficult if youíre letting lots of little fouls go as, exaggerating obviously, you could end up with everything either being a card or no foul.

Think overall itís felt much better watching the games

September 15, 2021, 02:12:46 AM
Reply #6

Bally

Administrator
2 red card challenges last night,  both on Richarlison

Sent from my SM-A715F using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

It's the roll I way

September 15, 2021, 04:26:18 AM
Reply #7

stirlingblue

2 red card challenges last night,  both on Richarlison

Neither of them were a red card.

The early one was a normal challenge you see every week, not even sure itís a yellow tbh. People will point at the Leeds red card but that will be overturned IMO.

The Tarkowski one was good technique (ball first, studs down, one footed) but forceful to hit Richarlison afterwards. Should be a yellow but itís the type of challenge weíd be praising had Godfrey done it to Chris Wood

September 15, 2021, 02:16:25 PM
Reply #8

ajax_andy

The early one was a normal challenge you see every week, not even sure itís a yellow tbh. People will point at the Leeds red card but that will be overturned IMO.

The Tarkowski one was good technique (ball first, studs down, one footed) but forceful to hit Richarlison afterwards. Should be a yellow but itís the type of challenge weíd be praising had Godfrey done it to Chris Wood

Nah first is a yellow - foul from behind, scissor movement.  Dangerous but probably not a red, definite yellow though.

Second is a red - leaves the floor, clear intent to 'do' Richarlison, excess force.  Doesn't matter if he got the ball first, it's the type of challenge that will seriously injure a play if it's allowed to keep on happening.

The second is nothing like a Godfrey challenge, which whilst forceful aren't reckless and have no intent to catch the player and injure him / put a 'reducer' on him.

September 15, 2021, 05:19:50 PM
Reply #9

Robioto

The Tawkovski one was dangerous and intentionally went to hurt the player. It's a red card.

September 15, 2021, 07:56:23 PM
Reply #10

ajax_andy

The Tawkovski one was dangerous and intentionally went to hurt the player. It's a red card.

I think it's a huge issue that what was a red card previously isn't even a free kick now.  If anything proves they've got it wrong, surely it's that?

September 16, 2021, 02:08:35 AM
Reply #11

Bally

Administrator

The early one was a normal challenge you see every week, not even sure it's a yellow tbh. People will point at the Leeds red card but that will be overturned IMO.

The Tarkowski one was good technique (ball first, studs down, one footed) but forceful to hit Richarlison afterwards. Should be a yellow but it's the type of challenge we'd be praising had Godfrey done it to Chris Wood
Tackle from behind scissor action red card all day
Tackle on the side line went to take him out regardless of the consequences...red card

It's the roll I way

September 16, 2021, 02:35:22 AM
Reply #12

ajax_andy

Tackle from behind scissor action red card all day
Tackle on the side line went to take him out regardless of the consequences...red card

Whilst I personally felt the first was a yellow, there's been a few ankle breaks / dislocations from the exact tackle over recent seasons, so you're probably right that it's a sending off offence.

I felt like other managers were just being whiney twats after the first game or two, but after seeing how Burnley approached the game last night I'm fully on their side.

Letting small contact fouls go is one thing, and the right thing, but they've lost the plot with allowing some of the reckless challenges go unpunished... Someone's already been badly injured and there's more to come.

September 17, 2021, 06:36:14 PM
Reply #13

Deano Blue Boy

If the ref would of gave (at least) a yellow for that first challenge, it would of been a completely different game. Burnley would of known they couldn't get away with it, and our players would of been protected.

Instead he set the precedent
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 02:32:04 AM by Deano Blue Boy »

September 18, 2021, 02:25:08 PM
Reply #14

AllyBlue14

As ever, it's the lack of consistency that is most frustrating. If Struijk was sent off, Brownhill had to be too - the only difference was good fortune.

Funnily enough, neither ref probably got it right, a yellow would've sufficed in both cases. But as usual, trial by RS, with Jurgen running on to have his say as well, convinced the ref. Interesting the reaction after too - compare with Son/Gomes: red card overturned, sympathy for culprit etc.

It's all on its head.