October 19, 2021, 04:06:23 PM

Author Topic: Usmanov's involvement with Everton  (Read 3780 times)

October 10, 2021, 03:47:02 AM
Read 3780 times

Shogun

Administrator
Obviously despite being pretty (morally) corrupt, the premier league and indeed fans have pretty widely accepted the involvement of Roman Abramovich at Chelsea and Man City's UAE ownership whilst Newcastle are now owned essentially by the Saudi state in which the backlash outside of Newcastle has been prevalent in the last few days.

The naming rights of our training ground are fronted by USM which is heavily funded by Usmanov. Would we have an issue if this man with a net worth of $17bn became more officially involved in Everton?

Usmanov may have had his criminal record expunged, but spent 6 years in prison for fraud. He has very close ties to Putin. He managed Gazprom for a decade in which they bought out basically the entire media and lobbied heavily for Putin through those channels. A history of bribery, rape allegations and involvement in murder makes him seem a pretty odious character.

So how would we feel if he came in and just openly bankrolled us?
How do we feel about his involvement at all?
Would we protest and try to get him out the club or just happily roll in the riches?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:35:54 AM by Shogun »
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

October 10, 2021, 03:54:14 AM
Reply #1

eyesalwaysblue

If he can get us cheap gas he's sound.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

October 10, 2021, 04:06:06 AM
Reply #2

Waltzer

Happily role in his riches, but in reality we have enough money to be doing so much better. Money hasn't really been the issue, a shit transfer strategy has impacted us most of all. Once we get the stadium sorted that'll help too

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

October 10, 2021, 04:10:33 AM
Reply #3

Dr. Sponge

Injection it into my veins.

October 10, 2021, 04:17:21 AM
Reply #4

Mouse

NSNO Subscriber
Obviously despite being pretty (morally) corrupt, the premier league and indeed fans have pretty widely accepted the involvement of Roman Abramovich at Chelsea and Man City's Qatari ownership
Just in the interest of fairness, City's owners are Abu Dhabi (one of the United Arab Emirates) based, not Qatari. That's PSG.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

October 10, 2021, 04:23:49 AM
Reply #5

ajax_andy

I'd be fine with it tbh.  It's unlikely you'll find a multi billionaire without a shady past, nature of the beast sadly.

I think there's different levels of it at play when it comes to owners, I'd accept an Abramovic level of dodginess, but would struggle with the Saudi state level.

Quite happy with good old Moshiri though too, as although he's acted like a bumbling idiot he seems a lot more clean than most, and that fits better with our club.  Trading for a deplorable human rights violating state would be a really hard to accept change, whereas the Newcastle fans have had Mike Ashley at the helm.

So yeah, I think there's a level I'd go to for success, but beyond it and it'd feel like it tainted every trophy my club would win.

October 10, 2021, 04:31:57 AM
Reply #6

Shogun

Administrator
Just in the interest of fairness, City's owners are Abu Dhabi (one of the United Arab Emirates) based, not Qatari. That's PSG.

Poor from me, thanks for the correction!
If you're not angry, you're not listening.

October 10, 2021, 06:56:57 AM
Reply #7

Jamokachi

It doesn't sit well with me, hand on heart. I'd rather not have to face the moral quandary to be honest, but life doesn't work like that.

I hate betting in the game, but Everton still have a betting partner. I still support the club.

I despise the Saudi regime and the barbaric atrocities they continue to commit, yet I use technology on a daily basis that is heavily supported by their wealth.

I hate that Qatar have such shocking human rights issues, but I'll probably watch the WC (make that definitely if Wales get there). And I continue to watch the CL with PSGs involvement.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the game is rigged (life, not football), and in reality what can we do as everyday fans? I don't want to stop supporting my club, and I want to see them being successful. That probably makes me a hypocrite in reality, but it's honestly such a futile position.

It's an important discussion @Shogun and you're right to raise it...

I don't feel fans should be put in this situation. We shouldn't be made to be the moral gatekeepers of the game, that should be a responsibility of the authorities. But they've shown their hand several times over. It's utterly depressing, and I see no recovery if I'm honest. The game is a behemoth, and a victim of its own success to a degree.

October 10, 2021, 10:29:34 AM
Reply #8

Paddockoldie

There's no morality in football anymore. My ma, who seriously knows fuck all about football said, about 30 years ago if not longer, that money will ruin football. Whether it has or not comes down to opinion, but if you want to compete, you take their money. If morals bother you, football ain't the sport to follow imo.
I'd have him onboard because not having him doesn't bother him, just impacts us.

October 10, 2021, 12:17:10 PM
Reply #9

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
How is football ruined? Itís bloody brilliant. And it only gets better.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Imam Jagne, Abdoulaye Doucoure, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

October 10, 2021, 12:22:21 PM
Reply #10

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
I wish we could turn back time to the days before the PL..... Hate football clubs being treated as pets by rich people

October 10, 2021, 01:44:15 PM
Reply #11

phillyt

It is sad in a way that football is now the plaything of foreign owners, here, and increasingly in Europe. Football clubs are part of that particular community and part of me thinks it should still be like that.
That said, it isnít and we just have to accept the situation and adjust the best way we can.

As has been pointed out we have spent plenty of cash, we just spent it abysmally. While brands isnít perfect in my mind he isnt as bad as some make out and people forget he is still clearing up the koeman /Walsh shitshow.

If/when usmanov does come in we will be up there with city in terms of wealthy owners, last I read was he was worth $21b dollars and with moshiri staying involved it bumps up to $23/24b. I think once you get up above 15-20b though itís not going to make a huge amount of difference what you have on top.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

October 10, 2021, 01:55:21 PM
Reply #12

ajax_andy

That's an interesting debate in itself.  Don't know if it's just because I was younger back then and I was much more passionate about everything, but for me footy in the mid 90s to early 2000s was far better than now, and it progressively gets less interesting / exciting as the years pass.

October 10, 2021, 02:03:49 PM
Reply #13

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber

Without trying to offend here, this is the view of the fan from overseas. I'm not saying it's the wrong view and you're right that the product is better but money has ruined football for many people.

Football clubs always used to be at the centre of the community and a place for people to meet, bring joy, share experiences both good and bad.

Money has made it more expensive for the communities around a football club to be involved. Ticket prices are high, TV packages are high. Clubs don't need their local support as much as they did because the money and the growth comes from.abroad.

Also look at Derby. Money has ruined that club and they're not the first or the last.

October 10, 2021, 02:12:37 PM
Reply #14

stirlingblue

Without trying to offend here, this is the view of the fan from overseas. I'm not saying it's the wrong view and you're right that the product is better but money has ruined football for many people.

Football clubs always used to be at the centre of the community and a place for people to meet, bring joy, share experiences both good and bad.

Money has made it more expensive for the communities around a football club to be involved. Ticket prices are high, TV packages are high. Clubs don't need their local support as much as they did because the money and the growth comes from.abroad.

Also look at Derby. Money has ruined that club and they're not the first or the last.

Money has ruined the cultural element of football, but the actual sport but has been improved by it IMO