January 23, 2022, 03:42:13 PM

Author Topic: A complete lack of character  (Read 3548 times)

November 28, 2021, 10:01:03 PM
Read 3548 times

ajax_andy

I remember some absolutely awful performances at times under Moyes but bloody hell that team could dig out a win or draw when playing badly because they had proper character. 

I remember more than once Cahill popping up with an 89th minute header, or Baines firing in a cross to grab a draw... Jagielka with a tremendous block at the death.

You can argue about the set up and manager but Jesus this team have absolutely no character what so ever!

The amount of poor touches, misplaced passes, showing no responsibility to take the game by the scruff of the neck... You can see there's a huge mental weakness when players leave the ball for each other instead of taking it and their own player if needed, when instead of driving in to the box they pop it backwards to someone else to do it.

We used to rely on characters like Cahill, Osman, Jagielka, Baines, a prime Coleman.  Now we're looking at Keane and Iwobi to turn things around... It's just not going to happen.

At least Gray looked interested when he came on, and with DCL and Richarlison to come back there should be enough there to avoid going down, but it's a disgrace we're relying on such a weak set of characters after all the money spent.

I don't believe for one second bringing in another manager resolves our problems, it's been the same for every single one of them.in recent times, and the constant is certain players playing for each of them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:02:21 PM by ajax_andy »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 28, 2021, 10:05:25 PM
Reply #1

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Players gave their all today.

I didnít see anyone hiding or not trying.

Some of them just arenít good enough, some were let down by the system and others didnít know what they were supposed to do with the ball.

Iím not sure how character gets us a result today.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

November 28, 2021, 10:08:36 PM
Reply #2

Mayor Farnum

The club just doesn't have a winning mentality. Never has in the 45 years I'ver been following them(apart from three years of archetypal eighties football). As you point out there were flashes under Moyes but the club has never had winning at its heart. We just don't have a clue what it takes to win and stay on top.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Everton; we'd like to win as long as we don't upset anyone in doing so.

November 28, 2021, 10:21:41 PM
Reply #3

ajax_andy

Some of them just arenít good enough, some were let down by the system and others didnít know what they were supposed to do with the ball.

Iwobi... Chance to cross or drive in to the area.  Knocks it back safely to Dinge. Digne gives it back to him... Again passes it off instead of trying to make something happen.

Gordon and Gray leaving it to each other breaking on the left and the ball goes out (might have been Doucoure not Gray?).

Rondon fouled in the box, no appeal from anyone, not even so much as a 'ref?'.

There's about a thousand examples of this kind of thing all match long.  Just nobody standing up to be counted, no one willing to drag us forward and put us on the front foot.  Just constant safe options, or the wrong options, poor touches, poor passes, poor choices, no belief.

The most damning example is the last 10 minutes where we played like there was 2 days left and we were winning a training match.  Zero urgency or desire.

They might have given their all physically but not mentally, not even close.

It was inspid, uninspiring and cowardly. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:23:00 PM by ajax_andy »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 28, 2021, 10:26:23 PM
Reply #4

kerryblue boy

It wasnít lack of character today it was poor tactics and management leaving the big lump up top for the whole game thatís 10 starts now no goals stick on simms for 15 minutes what had we to lose itís piss poor management the players tried to the last whistle but the setup was all wrong
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 28, 2021, 10:53:51 PM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

Nothing to do with character, passion or any of those sorts of shouts. We have very limited quality, and a culture of ineptitude that runs from the top to the bottom of the club.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

November 28, 2021, 10:57:45 PM
Reply #6

indiantoffee1975

In all honesty the Moyes years will probably be as good as it gets for Everton.

Last few seasons have a resemblance of the 90s under Smith and Kendall stints 2 & 3.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 28, 2021, 11:04:43 PM
Reply #7

Trowel

Regardless of whether character is the reason for these results rather than all the injuries, I do find it odd that we don't have a full time sports psychologist at the club - looks like we have a guy who's been working with the academy for the last 6 years, but nothing I can see for the 1st team.

We're by no means the only top flight club without, but the likes of Man City, Chelsea, and Liverpool all do. In the spirit of marginal gains it's hardly the biggest expense to try to get the most out of players on multi-millionaire wages.

https://thefootballpsychologyshow.com/2021/08/01/premier-league-psychology-guide-how-are-englands-top-flight-clubs-supporting-players-performance-and-mental-health/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 28, 2021, 11:17:59 PM
Reply #8

Stumpy

I remember some absolutely awful performances at times under Moyes but bloody hell that team could dig out a win or draw when playing badly because they had proper character. 

I remember more than once Cahill popping up with an 89th minute header, or Baines firing in a cross to grab a draw... Jagielka with a tremendous block at the death.

You can argue about the set up and manager but Jesus this team have absolutely no character what so ever!

The amount of poor touches, misplaced passes, showing no responsibility to take the game by the scruff of the neck... You can see there's a huge mental weakness when players leave the ball for each other instead of taking it and their own player if needed, when instead of driving in to the box they pop it backwards to someone else to do it.

We used to rely on characters like Cahill, Osman, Jagielka, Baines, a prime Coleman.  Now we're looking at Keane and Iwobi to turn things around... It's just not going to happen.

At least Gray looked interested when he came on, and with DCL and Richarlison to come back there should be enough there to avoid going down, but it's a disgrace we're relying on such a weak set of characters after all the money spent.

I don't believe for one second bringing in another manager resolves our problems, it's been the same for every single one of them.in recent times, and the constant is certain players playing for each of them.
As someone posted in the matchday thread last week this team has nothing.
Zero,zip,zilch.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 28, 2021, 11:22:05 PM
Reply #9

Trowel

Look at the reaction of the players to that of the fans - Gordon and Godfrey know it's not good enough, and Coleman does his job; the rest of them can't wait to get out of there
https://twitter.com/EvertonNewsFeed/status/1464992100462780420
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 28, 2021, 11:33:02 PM
Reply #10

ajax_andy

Regardless of whether character is the reason for these results rather than all the injuries, I do find it odd that we don't have a full time sports psychologist at the club - looks like we have a guy who's been working with the academy for the last 6 years, but nothing I can see for the 1st team.

We're by no means the only top flight club without, but the likes of Man City, Chelsea, and Liverpool all do. In the spirit of marginal gains it's hardly the biggest expense to try to get the most out of players on multi-millionaire wages.

https://thefootballpsychologyshow.com/2021/08/01/premier-league-psychology-guide-how-are-englands-top-flight-clubs-supporting-players-performance-and-mental-health/

I should clarify that I 100% think injuries are the biggest issue and we're always going to struggle with so many key players out.  But the whole 'when the going gets tough, the tough gets going' concept is completely lost on most of these players.

When the tough gets going most of these just hide and hope it all blows over before they have to re-emerge.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 29, 2021, 12:56:12 AM
Reply #11

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Bit of a mix, Iíd say.

I agree I donít think theyíre not trying.

But are there enough of them who are able to keep doing the right thing all the time, even when itís difficult and it might not work/ youíll get pelters for it?

I donít know, doesnít look like it from the past few years.

Those kind of things get you goals when itís tough and the play is stodgy, like it is when youíre out of form.

But to be fair, it isnít easy when youíre low on confidence.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 29, 2021, 01:50:17 AM
Reply #12

adaml

Look at the reaction of the players to that of the fans - Gordon and Godfrey know it's not good enough, and Coleman does his job; the rest of them can't wait to get out of there
Shite that. Does nothing for the team that. Poor Gordon looks devastated. Understand the frustration from the fans also.

Did feel like they tried today just where abit shit

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 29, 2021, 01:53:06 AM
Reply #13

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

When weíve had meltdowns in the past you always get a mix of players who come over and some who donít.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 29, 2021, 02:03:58 AM
Reply #14

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
How far off are we from The Finch Farm Five
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.