15 (22.7%)
Deulofeu
1 (1.5%)
Stones
0 (0%)
Osman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Everton 3-3 Liverpool  (Read 105894 times)

November 23, 2013, 09:10:48 PM
Reply #1020

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Great game for the neutral, gutted to lose the lead so late but probably a fair result.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

November 23, 2013, 09:12:26 PM
Reply #1021

sam of the south

I can't put up a poll for some reason.

Use some cement, Shogs
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

November 23, 2013, 09:14:43 PM
Reply #1022

bacon sarnie

My God, what a farcical anus that git is.

I know we will always be hyper sensitive to whatever their managers say, but they really do employ some absolute whoppers.

It's probably their arrogant ethos that infects most that walk in there.

How he can say that after Suarez got away with those disgraceful challenges on Mirallas and Distin last season is beyond me.

"We again showed our resilience and ability to fight back. This is a difficult place to come and they haven't lost at Goodison Park this year.

"We should have gone 3-1 and that would have killed the game. After that we couldn't keep ball. I'm disappointed with defending from the corner (from which Romelu Lukaku scored) and we have to be stronger. All-in-all a wonderful game and when you come to your rivals it is important not to lose." FA

November 23, 2013, 09:15:43 PM
Reply #1023

Ross

He changed from two cbs to three to provide a spare man against their dangerous partnership. An eminently sensible tactical change and qualitatively different from Moyes' "let's throw on another defensive body and hang on for dear life" routine I would say

Are you actually trying to say there's a difference?  lolol
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 23, 2013, 09:15:59 PM
Reply #1024

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
He also brought on a defender for an attacking player when time was nearly up and we where in front

let's not talk about that now though

I actually think that was the right decision at that point: they'd just switched to two strikers up top, so a 3 man back line was a sensible choice.

But yeah, it somewhat dents the "Roberto always goes for it" myth. I don't care though, because I think always going for it is a stupid thing anyway.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

November 23, 2013, 09:16:13 PM
Reply #1025

bacon sarnie

Overall, the referee controlled emotions of players well and allowed game to flow." RM

Agreed.

November 23, 2013, 09:16:54 PM
Reply #1026

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
It seemed that way today.

While he is no doubt an exciting prospect, he gave the ball away far to many times when he came on for a game of this magnitude.

But what does fill me with confidence is Martinez' willingness to change the game in an attacking sense, and as you could see it very nearly worked.

I have no doubt in my mind if Moyes was still in charge we would have bottled it.

I appreciated the opportunity he took when it happened, but the biggest switch was an enforced one with Baines going off injured. Would we have changed shape otherwise?

I hope we look at the option to lose one of the defensive midfielders more often now when we're looking to break teams down. This is the sort of thing that could've helped us in our last few draws where we struggled to create chances. We looked much more likely to score with Barkley pulling the strings from deep and another option up top.

November 23, 2013, 09:17:09 PM
Reply #1027

toffee_scot

When we scored the third I though RM would cancel or change the Stones sub. Deffo Naismith instead of Osman for me as well.

I think it was always Martinez's intention to put on a 3rd central defender as he was reacting to Liverpool's substitution which saw Sturridge coming on for them and with Suarez - Sturridge - Moses - Coutinho all on the field at the same time then I think Martinez was right to bring on a defender and Liverpool often looked very vulnerable on the counter attack so it wasn't like we were sacrificing our attacking intent.

November 23, 2013, 09:17:31 PM
Reply #1028

sam of the south

MANAGER REACTION - Everton 3-3 Liverpool
Everton manager Roberto Martinez: "It's really disappointing we didn't get three points. I'm disappointed to concede from three set plays.

"They had good opportunities from open play but we had more. To concede late on from a dead ball situation doesn't reward my team for how they played in second half."

On Mirallas tackle on Gerrard: "You are going to expect that nature of challenges because of what it means and the nature of the atmosphere created around the players. I didn't think it was a red card. He was a bit late. Steven Gerrard went in with elbow (on Gareth Barry). Overall, the referee controlled emotions of players well and allowed game to flow."

Glad he brought that up.
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

November 23, 2013, 09:19:53 PM
Reply #1029

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Shame Gerard couldn't put one of his several good chances, but after going 2-1 down I'm happy with the result.

Great entertainment and Lukaku is wonderful.
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

November 23, 2013, 09:20:06 PM
Reply #1030

sam of the south

"We again showed our resilience and ability to fight back. This is a difficult place to come and they haven't lost at Goodison Park this year.

"We should have gone 3-1 and that would have killed the game. After that we couldn't keep ball. I'm disappointed with defending from the corner (from which Romelu Lukaku scored) and we have to be stronger. All-in-all a wonderful game and when you come to your rivals it is important not to lose." FA

Indeed. He redeemed himself there.
Henry David Thoreau

November 23, 2013, 09:20:16 PM
Reply #1031

Ross

I actually think that was the right decision at that point: they'd just switched to two strikers up top, so a 3 man back line was a sensible choice.

But yeah, it somewhat dents the "Roberto always goes for it" myth. I don't care though, because I think always going for it is a stupid thing anyway.
[/b]

My point as well, but you know as well as I do how different that can be interpreted.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 23, 2013, 09:27:43 PM
Reply #1032

bacon sarnie

I think it was always Martinez's intention to put on a 3rd central defender as he was reacting to Liverpool's substitution which saw Sturridge coming on for them and with Suarez - Sturridge - Moses - Coutinho all on the field at the same time then I think Martinez was right to bring on a defender and Liverpool often looked very vulnerable on the counter attack so it wasn't like we were sacrificing our attacking intent.

Well spotted sir. Your tactical nouse is far superior to mine. In my defence I was busy keeping the dog at bay at the time as he loses it when we go 3-2 up against the shite with minutes to go.

:thumbsup:

November 23, 2013, 09:31:22 PM
Reply #1033

wepull

We played some lovely through balls today. Should have scored at least 2 from them itself.

November 23, 2013, 09:36:18 PM
Reply #1034

School of Science

To be honest I was expecting them to score every set piece.

Absolutely correct the only time that I was worried apart from when Sewerez had the ball.
So many positives Barkley anyone who dwells on the fact that he gets caught in possesion now and then needs to wake up, what this lad can do and does do is incredible, he is 19 years of age revell in it. Lukaku a monster if there is any way to keep him we must do it. Best derby I've ever seen i'm 53 and seen a few, make no mistake we were the better team, their mom was their goalkeeper, no doubt. Their goals came from free-kicks ans a corner, like Wimbledon. McCarthy was excellent Duelofeu is now ready to start.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15