45 (57%)
Naismith (Sub)
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
0 (0%)
Browning (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Southampton v Everton  (Read 64131 times)

August 16, 2015, 03:53:54 AM
Reply #660

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Jags was excellent. Always talking, keeping everyone organised. We never really lost our shape at any point and it really went a long to way to limiting their chances.

It helped that whenever they broke we were able to slow them down enough to regain our shape, credit to the midfielders for that.

Nice to score 3 but it's good to see us keep a clean sheet and should give everyone some confidence that we can keep that going in the future.

Deffo, Pelle and mane are no mugs either.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:54:37 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 16, 2015, 03:54:58 AM
Reply #661

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
And look at all the positivity that has blossomed in your absence. ;D

I'm hoping that my natural positivity has been rubbing off on people. I'm going away for a week now to a place with limited WiFi. So I'm expecting to come back to 3 major signings, a new multi-billionaire owner and plans for the bestest stadium in British football
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

August 16, 2015, 04:00:22 AM
Reply #662

bertcocaine

Jags was excellent. Always talking, keeping everyone organised. We never really lost our shape at any point and it really went a long to way to limiting their chances.

It helped that whenever they broke we were able to slow them down enough to regain our shape, credit to the midfielders for that.

Nice to score 3 but it's good to see us keep a clean sheet and should give everyone some confidence that we can keep that going in the future.

There were numerous occasions when the midfield were nicking in and breaking up the play when Southampton tried to play forward, forcing them to put less accurate balls through which the defence had covered off. Made it cluttered in front of our centre backs and prevented Southampton being able to create any killer balls.

The speed of counter attack also kept their fullbacks from doubling up on ours as Kone, Lukaku and Barkley kept running into the space they left.

One common theme between the second half last game and the whole of this game - with two strikers on the pitch, the speed of forward play particularly on the counter causes other teams defenders to get panicky. This could be the key to breaking down more defensive teams. For attacking teams counter-attack is clearly the way to go.
We do not know truth - we only know our opinions, and those of others

August 16, 2015, 04:01:51 AM
Reply #663

bertcocaine

I'm hoping that my natural positivity has been rubbing off on people. I'm going away for a week now to a place with limited WiFi. So I'm expecting to come back to 3 major signings, a new multi-billionaire owner and plans for the bestest stadium in British football

You're going to drop acid on the way back?  :badum:

August 16, 2015, 04:07:14 AM
Reply #664

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Sat in qatar airport. Feel like death. But this has cheered me right up!!

What the fuck do we know eh?!! Haha
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

August 16, 2015, 04:08:08 AM
Reply #665

Bluedylan

Sat in qatar airport. Feel like death. But this has cheered me right up!!

What the fuck do we know eh?!! Haha

No chance of getting MOTD in a Qatari airport?
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 16, 2015, 04:21:33 AM
Reply #666

bertcocaine

It's on at 07:35 again if you're home in time..

August 16, 2015, 04:44:27 AM
Reply #667

Evertonian in NC

It's an unqualified GOOD thing Lukaku is a nice guy.  Without that, he doesn't let Everton "touch" him, and doesn't insist on coming back here.  Though he won't stay here forever, I bet his heart keeps him here at least an extra season or two.  A lesser character individual (ie, almost any other star forward player) would have agitated like mad after a subpar season where he received little/poor service like the one we just had.

Lukaku never said a cross word about any of his teammates, kept working his ass off to the bitter end, and came back hungry to lead us to redemption.

NBC's announcers made good points today about Rom's workrate being infectious and jump starting the squad.  I know I beat this drum so much to be tiring, but he's a real leader in the making.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

August 16, 2015, 04:49:20 AM
Reply #668

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber

Could do on phone but Flying in 40 mins or so :( but back at 8am. Will catch it on iplayer. First cup of tea in weeks, Jackson, and my bed :D steve has washed my bedding & cleaned the flat so will be bliss :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:49:55 AM by Lizz88 »
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

August 16, 2015, 06:05:49 AM
Reply #669

Glory

1-3

Lukaku with 2 and Barkley with the other one.
God I am such a pessimistic bastard...

August 16, 2015, 06:51:23 AM
Reply #670

Alfie Noakes

Why I went to Mainz to watch a crap performance against Ingolstadt when I could of watched an Everton live stream, I don't know.

August 16, 2015, 07:20:09 AM
Reply #671

howard1334

There were numerous occasions when the midfield were nicking in and breaking up the play when Southampton tried to play forward, forcing them to put less accurate balls through which the defence had covered off. Made it cluttered in front of our centre backs and prevented Southampton being able to create any killer balls.

The speed of counter attack also kept their fullbacks from doubling up on ours as Kone, Lukaku and Barkley kept running into the space they left.

One common theme between the second half last game and the whole of this game - with two strikers on the pitch, the speed of forward play particularly on the counter causes other teams defenders to get panicky. This could be the key to breaking down more defensive teams. For attacking teams counter-attack is clearly the way to go.

Unfortunately, I had my birthday yesterday, and I drunkenly slept through my alarm and missed the match (live in the USA).... What formation did we end up playing? Was it a 4-3-3? I can't really see us having played a 4-4-2, since we had no wide players at all.

August 16, 2015, 07:50:41 AM
Reply #672

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Unfortunately, I had my birthday yesterday, and I drunkenly slept through my alarm and missed the match (live in the USA).... What formation did we end up playing? Was it a 4-3-3? I can't really see us having played a 4-4-2, since we had no wide players at all.

Who gives a fuck? It's your birthday and we won :)
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

August 16, 2015, 09:46:36 AM
Reply #673

howard1334

Who gives a fuck? It's your birthday and we won :)

Fair enough.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:55:44 AM by howard1334 »

August 16, 2015, 01:44:07 PM
Reply #674

TrevorSteven

They played his usual 4-2-3-1. I don't know why everybody is talking about us playing with two upfront when we actually played the normal tactis. Lukaku on top and Kone on the right wing with Cleverly at left and Barkley central.

Kone was immense today as he actually looked like beeing a striker but still was following Southamptons left back all the time. People may not have seen it too much but McCarthy was way more offensive doing runs all the time which created a lot of space for Barkley who was simply brilliant. In fact this was a genius tactic for this game.