45 (57%)
Naismith (Sub)
0 (0%)
Deulofeu (Sub)
0 (0%)
Browning (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Southampton v Everton  (Read 64268 times)

August 15, 2015, 08:57:37 PM
Reply #15

bertcocaine

Encouraging from Martinez "in the modern game you need to be flexible" and "when you become predictable you need to change". Hopefully an admission that he needed to change things from constant possession football.

I think this is the thing with Martinez. Sure, he has his core beliefs, but he is still fairly young, and it strikes me that he is very much learning as he goes. Sure, there will be times when it's not working, but maybe because of his positivity, he won't give up and get permanently stuck in the rut, and will adapt as the league and players change. I'm sure some will disagree, but I can really see him growing to be the manager we need. And having some great football to watch at times while we wait.  8)
We do not know truth - we only know our opinions, and those of others

August 15, 2015, 09:00:17 PM
Reply #16

bertcocaine

I need evidence.

well strictly speaking a gif is just a picture, it doesn't have to be animated.

But if we're speaking strictly, then technically that was a j-peg and not a gif.  :woohoo:

August 15, 2015, 09:01:04 PM
Reply #17

bertcocaine

I take full credit for our win and clean sheet...I had long and pelle in my fantasy team.

No, I'm afraid you can't do that.

I sold Howard from my team, and put Seamus on the bench.  ;D

August 15, 2015, 09:01:57 PM
Reply #18

bertcocaine

A meme is some kind of content that wildly spreads around the internet. Like NayCat. Or Star Trek facepalm pics.

Gifs are animated. Corrected above!

Mine was just a self made jpg!

gif - a lossless format for image files that supports both animated and static images.

also corrected. ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:02:25 PM by bertcocaine »

August 15, 2015, 09:06:39 PM
Reply #19

bertcocaine

I ripped out C from Lukaku... And gave it to Kane :(

well i've got Kane so hopefully that might still work out. ;D

I'm in a quandry now though - I was thinking need to get Lukaku or Kone in my team asap, and also Barkley. But I really don't want to jinx it..

I don't believe in such crap of course but still.. funny how it prays on the mind!  :eh:

August 15, 2015, 09:08:47 PM
Reply #20

bertcocaine

Playing on the counter attack suits us so much better

We may not have that number 10 who can play an intricate throughball

But we do have in Barkley, Lukaku, Kone, Mirallas and Deulofeu players who can be fast strong and dangerous

Counter attack suits these players much more than Tiki Taka

Of course it is much more likely that we can play counter attack away from home but it was such a positive sign to see Roberto use these tactics

He is in a great moment right now, after a phenomenal performance today. We showed fantastic character, everyone in the group

that post shows the incredible potential of this team.

August 15, 2015, 09:09:43 PM
Reply #21

bertcocaine

August 15, 2015, 09:13:40 PM
Reply #22

bertcocaine

He may not get on though, but he'd be a good back up.lol

naah the other players wouldn't be settled knowing he's free to chase their wives.

August 15, 2015, 09:31:14 PM
Reply #23

bertcocaine

Best performance in a long time

How much to fly another banner next week showing our support??

Well done boys, glad my mate Ty got on as well

Roll on City

Maybe that's the way to stop these things. When it's going to happen, hire another plane with a bigger banner to fly between their plane and the stadium.

August 16, 2015, 03:52:40 AM
Reply #24

bertcocaine

Bloody typical I miss today's game to go to a family BBQ.

And look at all the positivity that has blossomed in your absence. ;D

August 16, 2015, 04:00:22 AM
Reply #25

bertcocaine

Jags was excellent. Always talking, keeping everyone organised. We never really lost our shape at any point and it really went a long to way to limiting their chances.

It helped that whenever they broke we were able to slow them down enough to regain our shape, credit to the midfielders for that.

Nice to score 3 but it's good to see us keep a clean sheet and should give everyone some confidence that we can keep that going in the future.

There were numerous occasions when the midfield were nicking in and breaking up the play when Southampton tried to play forward, forcing them to put less accurate balls through which the defence had covered off. Made it cluttered in front of our centre backs and prevented Southampton being able to create any killer balls.

The speed of counter attack also kept their fullbacks from doubling up on ours as Kone, Lukaku and Barkley kept running into the space they left.

One common theme between the second half last game and the whole of this game - with two strikers on the pitch, the speed of forward play particularly on the counter causes other teams defenders to get panicky. This could be the key to breaking down more defensive teams. For attacking teams counter-attack is clearly the way to go.

August 16, 2015, 04:01:51 AM
Reply #26

bertcocaine

I'm hoping that my natural positivity has been rubbing off on people. I'm going away for a week now to a place with limited WiFi. So I'm expecting to come back to 3 major signings, a new multi-billionaire owner and plans for the bestest stadium in British football

You're going to drop acid on the way back?  :badum:

August 16, 2015, 04:21:33 AM
Reply #27

bertcocaine

No chance of getting MOTD in a Qatari airport?

It's on at 07:35 again if you're home in time..

August 16, 2015, 03:51:44 PM
Reply #28

bertcocaine

That's why we have to stretch the pitch.

There's always space somewhere.

And if it means crossing the ball more so be it.

Barkley and Cleverley are capable of putting it good balls from wide-ish positions as well as Coleman and Kone(!) from more conventional positions. Not to mention obviously the other players not in the team atm.

Utd have always been able to hit people on the break and they must have had teams sit back against them more than anyone else over the past 20 years.

It doesn't have to all be length of the field charges either.

It can just be direct play on the edge of the box like a fast one/two.

Interesting you should say that. Just been speaking to a United mate, who said watching our first two goals on MOTD was like watching United under Fergie.

Stands to reason we should do what they did so well - learn to terrify teams coming to Goodison. A game plan is all well and good, but if the defenders are panicking.. ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:52:51 PM by bertcocaine »

August 16, 2015, 04:23:24 PM
Reply #29

bertcocaine

Problem is when we're at home v a west brom or Sunderland who are going to park 10 men behind the ball at every opportunity. Counter attacking is great when it's on but the majority of the time we're going to have to rely on creativity in tight areas to create chances...which we don't seem to be able to do. Having Kone to support rom would help in this respect so I hope RM sticks with starting him but I can see us reverting back to a 'Watford' type setup as soon as we're playing someone shite at home.

But the second half against Watford shows what I mean. We can scare defences. We can attack with pace and power no matter how many they put behind the ball. It's the attitude that matters more than the formation. Roberto said as much post match, when he said the group didn't accept that the first half against Watford was right, and wanted to show from the start against Southampton the right attitude.

Of course it remains to be seen, but given our first defensive team at home is going to be Sunderland on 1st November, and with a bit of luck they will still be on the ropes, the team might have gotten so used to battering people by then that teams are coming with fear, and a quick beasting from Lukaku and Kone with Barkley free moving from slightly deeper should strike terror into the most disciplined defender. This is how top teams break down the bus, and we can do it too. Just as those endless games in the past where we would play the likes of United, or Chelsea, battle away determinedly, and then find ourselves with 15 minutes left and being hammered, with that sick certain feeling it was only a matter of time until.. oh fuck they scored. We almost came to believe it was inevitable - we need to get visitors believing the same.