November 28, 2020, 02:52:42 PM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 646052 times)

April 02, 2020, 05:06:38 AM
Reply #5325

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Can someone copy and paste the article for the cheapskates? :)
A lot has changed since Everton submitted the planning application for a new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock at the end of 2019.

The COVID-19 pandemic has seen society as we know it — including live sport and businesses — grind more or less to a halt, so it is not an easy climate in which to set about building a new stadium. But the expectation is that the development will continue apace, as a symbol of hope for club and city alike at a time of difficulty.

Although roughly 30 per cent of Liverpool City Council staff are believed to currently be off work (with others having to do their jobs remotely), those high up at local authority level do not envisage any complications to the process.

“We don’t expect it to be delayed — we still hope to meet the target for that,” Liverpool’s mayor Joe Anderson tells The Athletic. “We have to get on with the developments and creating growth in the city.”

Liverpool City Council’s planning committee are still meeting regularly via Skype to discuss the city’s latest regeneration schemes and will do so over the Bramley-Moore Dock proposal this summer if the situation does not change before then.

The Athletic also understands that preferred contractor Laing O’Rourke — one of the country’s biggest construction firms — still anticipate being ready to start in September if the development gets the go-ahead.

The Bramley-Moore site is a reminder of the city’s maritime past as well as a sign of its vast future potential. It is located in the city’s Kirkdale ward, an area suffering from severe deprivation. The semi-derelict dock was once at the fulcrum of Liverpool’s trade with the rest of the world.

“Bramley-Moore is situated in a dockland that has been almost derelict for 30 years,” says Anderson. “There has been very little activity going on there. The bottom line is that part of the city, which has been deprived of opportunities for so long, has now got a chance to develop.”

Economically speaking, Everton’s proposed new stadium will be a game-changer for a community that has seen hard times.

In her maiden speech as the new MP for Liverpool Riverside (the parliamentary constituency in which Bramley-Moore is situated) earlier this month, Kim Johnson outlined both Liverpool’s reliance on the tourism industry and the challenges it faces in a post-coronavirus landscape.

“Liverpool is the seventh-most visited city in the UK, with tourists bringing £3.6 billion of revenue to the city every year,” Johnson said. “Our tourism industry currently employs about 50,000 people. However, despite all of this, the city has the highest unemployment rate of any British city when hidden unemployment is taken into account.

“The city has been ravaged by 10 years of draconian austerity measures. We have had 64 per cent of our budget ‘stolen’ from us, equating to a loss of £450 million, with more people now reliant on foodbanks, greater ​levels of in-work poverty and children going hungry during school holidays.”

Heavily reliant on tourism and with big events such as the annual Grand National horse race cancelled, tough times are ahead for the city and its inhabitants.

The effects of the virus are already being felt economically. Leisure centres and car parks — two major earners for the local council — have been closed as part of a UK-wide lockdown, with the loss of revenue understood to be around £1 million per week. For a city still feeling the impact of austerity measures, such a sum is a significant worry.

In part, it is why extra stock is being placed in schemes such as the one at Bramley-Moore. Some figures are already seeing the Everton stadium development as a much-needed catalyst for growth and a vital part of the city’s response to COVID-19.

“Already, we have been hit hard and are clearly under the cosh,” Anderson adds. “Regeneration schemes like Bramley-Moore Dock are crucial to getting back on the front foot as soon as possible. Without them, the city would be up the creek without a paddle, really. We’d struggle to survive.

“All of them are game-changers in revenue terms. When the whole scheme develops out, we’re talking in the region of £20 million that we’re likely to receive (from business rates and in council tax from properties, plus other areas such as car-park income).

“This is absolutely essential for the city. It will create thousands of jobs in that locality, connect the whole waterfront and bring in substantial revenue for the city. They are prizes that are more than welcome.”

According to forecasts, the project looks set to deliver a £1 billion boost to the local economy during and post-contruction, create up to 15,000 jobs and attract 1.4 million visitors to the city each year. More than that, though, it is also a small ray of light at the end of a tunnel for people experiencing tough times.

For both a city and its inhabitants, Bramley-Moore is more necessary than ever before.

(Picture: Everton Football Club)

Simply simply lovely

April 02, 2020, 07:45:47 AM
Reply #5326

Undisputed_blue

Let's hope there's no second wave of COVID19. Otherwise it will put a spanner in the works.

April 08, 2020, 07:48:42 PM
Reply #5327

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
wow

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🏟 | We have submitted an outline planning application to @lpoolcouncil for a community-led legacy development at Goodison Park. #EFC 🔵</p>&mdash; Everton (@Everton) April 8, 2020 <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

April 08, 2020, 08:38:30 PM
Reply #5328

74Blue

So the shite drive people out of their homes, and our great club creates new affordable ones.

Classy as always!

April 08, 2020, 10:50:14 PM
Reply #5329

sirblue57

wow

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🏟 | We have submitted an outline planning application to @lpoolcouncil for a community-led legacy development at Goodison Park. #EFC 🔵</p>&mdash; Everton (@Everton) April 8, 2020
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Love this fucking.club...
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

June 20, 2020, 03:48:11 AM
Reply #5330

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 20, 2020, 03:55:09 AM
Reply #5331

Bob Sacamano

The excavation is underway isn’t it.

June 20, 2020, 03:57:39 AM
Reply #5332

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The excavation is underway isn’t it.

Lad they could be putting the roof on and I could be driving the wagon when they did it and I still wouldn't be 100% certain it was happening.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 20, 2020, 04:01:56 AM
Reply #5333

Waltzer

June 20, 2020, 04:43:45 AM
Reply #5334

Thornton_19

June 20, 2020, 04:52:40 AM
Reply #5335

Jamokachi

Won't be to do with Everton, his plans have been submitted and we've contracted builders. C'mon now.

June 20, 2020, 04:54:31 AM
Reply #5336

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Does he not have any other projects?

Also, would not the “not personal” bit be more likely to be someone going with another firms designs rather than his?

June 24, 2020, 10:51:09 PM
Reply #5337

mikey_blue

https://twitter.com/meisarch/status/1274071445497241601?s=21

If I learned anything from this year it is that when someone says "it isn't personal, it is just business” I probably shouldn't have been in business with them to begin with....

https://twitter.com/meisarch/status/1275813053645246464?s=21

1/2
Let me be clear.  I am fully confident that Bramley Moore will be built.  It is both right for the Club and the city.  Unfortunately I am not currently engaged in the project.  How that was handled is one the greatest disappointments of my career, and at the appropriate...

I've no idea what's happening here like. Looks like he's been removed from the project for some reason.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:52:40 PM by mikey_blue »

June 24, 2020, 11:02:29 PM
Reply #5338

Cozzie

This is a fucking disaster isn't it.

June 24, 2020, 11:06:48 PM
Reply #5339

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers: