December 05, 2020, 11:55:17 AM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 650199 times)

September 03, 2020, 05:28:43 PM
Reply #5445

Duncs_a_legend

Seen a fair bit of bubbling on twitter today, not sure if this is news or not?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-53999295

Everton's plans to build a new stadium on Liverpool's waterfront have been challenged again amid claims the project would harm the city's heritage.

The club has faced criticism from Historic England regarding its bid for a 500m 52,000-seat stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock.

Revised plans were revealed by the club last week.

But Historic England said it remained unsatisfied and would refer the matter to the Secretary of State.

In the latest plans, Everton said it would "preserve the site's original features as far as possible" and maintain "visual interconnectivity to neighbouring docks".

It also promised to protect the dock walls under the stadium, so if the club ever relocated again the site could be reverse engineered.

Historic England acknowledged there had been "positive enhancements" and a "strong desire" to build a stadium "sensitive to its surroundings".

But the public body said the proposal to infill the dock "would result in substantial harm" to the Grade II-listed structure, which lies within Liverpool's World Heritage Site.

In a statement, a spokesman said: "Due to the impact of the proposals on a World Heritage Site, which has the highest level of heritage protection and is internationally significant, we think that this application should be determined by the Secretary of State."

Colin Chong, Everton's stadium development director, said in an email to fans the club had worked "extensively and collaboratively" with Historic England and other conservation organisations "over many months".

He said: "While we understand the position of these organisations, we also know that local politicians, more than 60,000 people who took part in our public consultations, our business community and stakeholders all have a different view and fully support our proposals.

"The local public has told us - in huge numbers - that they believe the public benefits of our plans far outweigh the suggested level of harm to the heritage assets."

He said the project would generate a 1bn boost to the city's economy and create up to 15,000 jobs.

Work is estimated to cost 500m and could start by early 2021 if permission is granted.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:30:20 PM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 03, 2020, 05:36:08 PM
Reply #5446

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
yeah, that was in the release with the new images the other week. Not new, so odd the BBC have decided to mention it now like.

September 03, 2020, 05:36:33 PM
Reply #5447

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
yeah, that was in the release with the new images the other week. Not new, so odd the BBC have decided to mention it now like.
BBC did an article on it a week after the original statement
Very odd
Simply simply lovely

September 03, 2020, 05:38:02 PM
Reply #5448

Duncs_a_legend

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:46:53 PM by Duncs_a_legend »

September 03, 2020, 05:43:59 PM
Reply #5449

Robioto

Historic England can go and fuck themselves.

September 03, 2020, 05:49:38 PM
Reply #5450

Duncs_a_legend

I don't know a single person who has ever ventured round that area of the docks, not on to the derelict part anyway.

Surely regenerating it whilst maintaining the historical integrity of the area (keeping the pump house, walls, original features etc) will bring more people to learn about the history of the docks?

September 03, 2020, 05:51:31 PM
Reply #5451

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know a single person who has ever ventured round that area of the docks, not on to the derelict part anyway.

Surely regenerating it whilst maintaining the historical integrity of the area (keeping the pump house, walls, original features etc) will bring more people to learn about the history of the docks?

Its a bit of a farce what they are saying tbh
Simply simply lovely

September 03, 2020, 05:56:41 PM
Reply #5452

Robioto

Are they really anything to worry about given the huge success of the consultation. It's pretty obvious the city wants and needs it.

"Ultimately, it will be up to the decision-maker to consider whether the public benefits outweigh the substantial harm."

Who is the decision maker? The people of Liverpool? The council? The neck beards at Historic England?

September 03, 2020, 05:59:59 PM
Reply #5453

WeimaranerBlues

Someone enlighten me, we have said we will preserve every thing and if in the future it can be reversed, but heritage England have plans to build a residential development.
It that what I gather,

They can go to fuck

September 03, 2020, 06:11:34 PM
Reply #5454

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Someone enlighten me, we have said we will preserve every thing and if in the future it can be reversed, but heritage England have plans to build a residential development.
It that what I gather,

They can go to fuck
No
Think they are saying if we fill in the dock the city will lose heritage
There is an agreement for residential development that doesnt include  the dock infill

They also state that they appreciate its good for the city but are trying to stand firm on the dock

Thats my take of it
Simply simply lovely

September 03, 2020, 06:14:35 PM
Reply #5455

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think they don't believe that you can reverse filling in a dock with concrete.

Look, these guys are doing an important job. Whether people use these docks is irrelevant. They are important (and nearly unique) parts of local, national and even international history.

It needs to be looked at carefully.
That said, fuck them.

September 03, 2020, 06:17:48 PM
Reply #5456

Macca77

I wonder if they kicked up the much fuss when a dock just up the road was filled a few years ago

September 03, 2020, 06:27:12 PM
Reply #5457

Waltzer

I think they're just doing their jobs tbh. They are highlighting alternatives options that might better preserve the area and they're probably right on paper. I dont know the area or the applications that have gone in to develope the area but id hazard a guess that whilse their recommendations might be correct there probably arent any viable options to do this, or any plans in place. We have all of our ducks lined up and we can massively help in the regeneration of the area and thats how it'll play through

September 03, 2020, 06:27:25 PM
Reply #5458

Jamokachi

Interesting that they point to another development proposal for the area very quickly in their replies. Plenty of palm greasing going on I'm sure.

September 03, 2020, 07:15:00 PM
Reply #5459

Gary1878

Honestly, this is an absolute joke and a farce. So you would rather leave the area as it is as a derelict dockland area, or put up a couple of hundred flats, rather than create thousands of jobs, with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people over the next century or two, utilizing a new world class stadium, delivering hundreds of millions of pounds to the local economy. All whilst preserving the status of the area.

Someone is NOT doing their job by making something out of nothing, and creating problems where there are none.