January 21, 2021, 06:07:47 PM

Author Topic: [News]Boo boys need more patience  (Read 8009 times)

October 03, 2016, 08:27:04 PM
Reply #60

pjk

NSNO Subscriber
I don't manage to get to see many games at Goodison. I always turn up really excited to see the lads play, and let's face it, it's an absolute passion when you get there. It can all get ruined pretty quickly due to other supporters expectations. I've been to games where relegation was staring us in the face and we had little or no direction and only through the players and the crowds sheer bloody mindedness we actually managed to stay up. I think our fans need to get real. Ronald Koeman is a world footballing legend. I feel a bit embarrassed when we mistreat people like Koeman due to unrealistic ideas of grandeur. Yes, I want, and know, we can get back to the top of the tree where it comes to our great club, but some people make me want to hide my colours and that can't be right.
As Tacitus said: "To plunder, butcher, steal, these things they misname empire: they make a desolation and they call it peace."

October 03, 2016, 10:18:28 PM
Reply #61

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I don't manage to get to see many games at Goodison. I always turn up really excited to see the lads play, and let's face it, it's an absolute passion when you get there. It can all get ruined pretty quickly due to other supporters expectations. I've been to games where relegation was staring us in the face and we had little or no direction and only through the players and the crowds sheer bloody mindedness we actually managed to stay up. I think our fans need to get real. Ronald Koeman is a world footballing legend. I feel a bit embarrassed when we mistreat people like Koeman due to unrealistic ideas of grandeur. Yes, I want, and know, we can get back to the top of the tree where it comes to our great club, but some people make me want to hide my colours and that can't be right.
That is so accurate. A lot of things in football have changed over the years but one thing I have seen get consistently worse is the ability of people to discuss the game in any depth. Two things that contribute greatly to this are:
The lack of appreciation of people doing their best. That is always the most we can expect of anyone. They may not be as good as some others, they may make mistakes but rather than acknowledge that they did their best we describe them as sh*te, we insult them , humiliate them and seize every opportunity to put them down.
The inability to see and appreciate how the other team played. Rarely have I seen credit given to the other side - they are usually seen as .... see paragraph above!
When we make these judgements it's worth remembering what we all share in common. We haven't been and never will be good enough to play at this level, manage at this level, or have any professional role in the game. Collectively we are the losers as we really were sh*te. Perhaps it takes sh*te to know sh*te ? Not one of us would even come close to being as good as the 2 currently demonised people (Niasse and Martinez) let alone the ones playing well.
How can there be any real discussion until we move from the juvenile and basically 'thick' assessments of players.
Collectively we need to raise our game as supporters to the level we want our players to reach in their world. I could go on!!
There is so much good in our club and football in general, it would be good to think we could raise it to an even better level?
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

October 03, 2016, 10:32:33 PM
Reply #62

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
That is so accurate. A lot of things in football have changed over the years but one thing I have seen get consistently worse is the ability of people to discuss the game in any depth. Two things that contribute greatly to this are:
The lack of appreciation of people doing their best. That is always the most we can expect of anyone. They may not be as good as some others, they may make mistakes but rather than acknowledge that they did their best we describe them as sh*te, we insult them , humiliate them and seize every opportunity to put them down.
The inability to see and appreciate how the other team played. Rarely have I seen credit given to the other side - they are usually seen as .... see paragraph above!
When we make these judgements it's worth remembering what we all share in common. We haven't been and never will be good enough to play at this level, manage at this level, or have any professional role in the game. Collectively we are the losers as we really were sh*te. Perhaps it takes sh*te to know sh*te ? Not one of us would even come close to being as good as the 2 currently demonised people (Niasse and Martinez) let alone the ones playing well.
How can there be any real discussion until we move from the juvenile and basically 'thick' assessments of players.
Collectively we need to raise our game as supporters to the level we want our players to reach in their world. I could go on!!
There is so much good in our club and football in general, it would be good to think we could raise it to an even better level?
Generation game

Generations before mine played football. My generation are possibly the last in playing football religiously, living, breathing it

Now it's more about paying it on a pc or a PlayStation etc

Everything has to be instantly, that's more because of sky and the money but for me, the game I love is dying in front of my eyes

There was no better feeling for me as a young lad than going the game with my dad, listening to his mates talking football and being in awe of them

We had a lad play for the vets on Saturday. He came on as sub (only about 25) we asked him what position he was playing, cam was his reply....

Simply simply lovely

October 03, 2016, 10:39:11 PM
Reply #63

BlueBeagle

Generation game

Generations before mine played football. My generation are possibly the last in playing football religiously, living, breathing it

Now it's more about paying it on a pc or a PlayStation etc

Everything has to be instantly, that's more because of sky and the money but for me, the game I love is dying in front of my eyes

There was no better feeling for me as a young lad than going the game with my dad, listening to his mates talking football and being in awe of them

We had a lad play for the vets on Saturday. He came on as sub (only about 25) we asked him what position he was playing, cam was his reply....

lolol

If anyone is to blame, it's certainly not the younger fans is all I can say.

October 03, 2016, 10:48:14 PM
Reply #64

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
lolol

If anyone is to blame, it's certainly not the younger fans is all I can say.
The whole want it now is a younger generation thing, not just in football
Simply simply lovely

October 04, 2016, 12:28:09 AM
Reply #65

Lxxx

Let's not get too teary eyed about fans being too harsh on players.

I'm sure a number of us were there in the dark days of Walter Smith and watching the shite being served up but through it all I can't remember walking out the ground or having a pint afterwards and hearing moans about players not putting a shift in or not turning up too often. I distinctly remember having an argument with a guy about Mark Pembridge as although he wasn't the most gifted, like a lot of that squad, he worked his nuts off which is all you can ask and it was reciprocated in the crowd getting behind the team to keep us up more than once.

When you look at the ability of some of this squad and you see the effort they have put in on the pitch over the past few years, sometimes leaving the pitch with clean shorts and hardly breaking sweat because of the slow tempo, they leave themselves open to criticism. Also contrary to other peoples opinions about it being the younger generation I think it's the older generation who are the most critical in my experience, as they can compare this lot to generations before who worked their nuts off with a fraction of the ability and for a fraction of the reward.

So if some of the players get a bit of abuse for walking around a football pitch and leaving fans feeling a bit short changed after forking out well over 100 for a family day out then so be it. They're professional sportsmen and it comes with the territory, you get back from the crowd what you put in on the pitch.

October 04, 2016, 12:31:26 AM
Reply #66

Duncs_a_legend

It's not usually the younger ones moaning though is it. Everywhere I've sat (in 25 or so years I've only had a season ticket in different parts of either the Lower Gwladys or the Park End) it's usually fellas 40+ that shout the most shite at a game, in fact nearly every time I've heard something bad about Lukaku or Barkley in the past 2 years it's not come from anyone I would say is young.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 04, 2016, 12:59:49 AM
Reply #67

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Young or old, twats the lot of them.

October 04, 2016, 01:09:39 AM
Reply #68

everton1952

Football is as it always was, the nation's favourite sport. It is massively popular with big crowds in both the PL and the second tier. The standard has never been higher, thanks mainly to the influx of foreign players into the top two tiers of the game.   Money has changed everything, and it alone has altered fans' view of players, all of whom in the PL, regardless of ability or lack of it, are millionaires. That produces negativity at all our grounds, except those who always serve up winners because of their fantastic wealth. There are more TV fans than ever before, probably countless, who would never dream of going out and paying to watch their favourite team, but still call themselves fans, which I suppose they are. My Red neighbours never go, but they are decked out in red shirts on match day and enjoy themselves that way. The game is rock solid, has massive support and always will be our number one game.

October 04, 2016, 01:25:55 AM
Reply #69

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
It doesn't matter which age group does it, and I'm including the comments on forums not just who boos at a match?
Not getting st Lxxx - just using one of his examples to illustrate a point but comments like ' not breaking sweat', 'clean shorts', 'walking' etc take no account of the modern game. Players are told what to do and not to do more than at any time in the history of the game. A lot of the modern game doesn't include tackling any more, the game is slow all round except in short bursts and the instructions given by managers to players to stay in a certain position rather than charging around take preference. I presume from the comments that the implication is that the modern game is not as good to watch. I think I would agree with that even though the individual skills are probably far better and so quick that a lot of it is missed.
Perhaps a better example of what I mean is the new manager. I'm presuming he has a plan and that it will take time to achieve his goals. I hope I can enjoy the transition, seeing it grow from where we are now to trophies. That transition will have failures as well as successes and what Koeman has now is a squad he will want to change drastically. In the meantime he has to go with what he has whilst at the same time building a way of playing that he wants to carry forward long term. Some players won't be able to adapt as well as others but he still has to use them now.
Personally I can see progress from last season which I find comforting but I also see there is a long way to go. I will take pleasure from the transition as well - not just the end result as many only appear to be able to do. (Not aimed at Lxxx!)

The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

October 04, 2016, 01:54:09 AM
Reply #70

Optimistic Blue

I am sure the players are gutted.

Although if they were i would have serious concerns to be honest...x
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

October 04, 2016, 02:21:30 AM
Reply #71

Lxxx

Just to be clear, my post wasn't endorsing the boo boys. Just that some on here are a bit precious when it comes to criticism of players, which is every fan's right as everyone has different opinions.

October 04, 2016, 02:26:52 AM
Reply #72

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think players should be immune from criticism, it's the simplistic and stupid things that stifle debate that bug me.

October 04, 2016, 02:36:43 AM
Reply #73

Paddockoldie

Managing expectations was always Koeman's biggest challenge from day one. Perhaps it's PTMD? We really need to accept this is gonna take time.

October 04, 2016, 04:20:11 AM
Reply #74

Ross

Fucking boring this. It's not an Everton specific problem, it's just football in general now.

No club in the PL is immune from being booed off the pitch on the back of one or 2 bad results bar maybe Liverpool atm with everyone wanting to suck Klopp off.

Chelsea were booed off after Liverpool beat them, their 1st defeat of the season IIRC.

Doesn't make it right that A SMALL MINORITY of our fans booed a poor performance but I'm sick of coming on here and seeing bellends complaining non stop about our own fans...
Atmosphere is shit.
Barkley gets too much stick.
Booing the team.
People wanted us to lose and Wembley.

Have a day off.

Sounds like what you need is a big cathartic Booo.

Just pick a target, anything, maybe even go into the garden and give the moon a good booing. Let it all out.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.