May 09, 2021, 02:24:52 PM

Author Topic: Russia 2018  (Read 172988 times)

December 02, 2017, 05:38:05 PM
Read 172988 times

Bluedylan

Really looking forward to this. Thought it was an interesting draw. Always wanted to visit Russia, and very interested to see how the tournament goes.

Portugal were my tip but they've defo got a tough draw.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

March 30, 2018, 05:09:18 PM
Reply #1

Bluedylan

There's a Russian guy in our hostel (formerly homeless), who was in the Soviet Army in Afghanistan and he's a serious fella, but he's endlessly fascinating. I'm constantly asking about his life and experiences.

His opinion is that the World Cup will be absolutely fine, as long as people going to Russia are respectful and clued up. His basic advice is, never, ever fuck with any police or 'officials', under any circumstances. And then in terms of the normal Russian populace, he stresses that people are very proud and very keen to entertain guests. So the hospitality will be excellent, but that visitors need to be respectful of their hosts. Anyone that comes into the country with the typical 'I'm gonna get fucked up and fuck shit up' attitude will be in for a rude awakening.

I'd fucking love to go to Russia personally, but won't be able to afford it this summer. Definitely on the to-do list eventually.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

May 16, 2018, 09:54:36 PM
Reply #2

Bluedylan

Can't wait for the World Cup personally. Always wanted to go to Russia, so really curious about that side of things. Hopefully we can have the 1pm games on at work.

May 23, 2018, 09:55:04 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

The current England team would annihilate that team. I don't really get the relentless negativity tbh. Southgate's done a good job, stuck with his ideas and principles and has picked a good squad.

May 29, 2018, 04:07:17 PM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

Genuinely can't wait for this now. Entered a competition at work where you have to pick all the 1st and 2nd places in the groups, the quarter finalists, semi finalists, finalists, golden boot and top England goalscorer, so had to properly go through all the groups and have a think about it.

Had Brazil getting revenge over Germany in the final, with Neymar top scorer, and England reaching the quarters. My little outside shout for a dark horse is Senegal. Got a few ballers in there with Koulibaly, Gana, Mane and Balde Keita.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:08:59 PM by Bluedylan »

June 15, 2018, 06:25:32 PM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

Listening out for the first reference to the Pyramids/Sphinx on commentary. Within the first 10 minutes, I'd say.

June 15, 2018, 07:15:23 PM
Reply #6

Bluedylan

Anyone else sick of hearing about Salah? I mean, he's had a great season but I've never heard so much hype.

I'm already sick of the English commentators and their tired, tired cliches and references.

June 15, 2018, 07:17:53 PM
Reply #7

Bluedylan

Started impressively Egypt. Well organised with a good high press at selective moments.

June 15, 2018, 07:30:53 PM
Reply #8

Bluedylan

Just sad isn't it. Fat old men and their stereotyping with clichés. And getting paid handsomely for it.

So grim listening to them. Get some journalists on commentary, who've actually watched these teams and players since the last tournament. Listening to Pearce crowbar his lame references in, and his pre-prepared stats is actually quite painful.

June 15, 2018, 07:44:56 PM
Reply #9

Bluedylan

Suarez looks like he is in need of some sustenance, maybe one of the Egyptian players will oblige and allow him to have nibble on their neck.

Touch of Jonathan Pearce about that comment.

June 15, 2018, 07:56:16 PM
Reply #10

Bluedylan

Quite enjoyed the game, and seeing Egypt's style of play. Phil Neville was excellent in his HT analysis there, and made Jenas look a bit of a fool.

June 15, 2018, 08:40:13 PM
Reply #11

Bluedylan

Massively impressed with Egypt here, even more so given that they haven't eaten or drunk a single thing since the sun rose. Amazing really when you think about it.

June 15, 2018, 09:59:28 PM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

Big Iran fan here cos me best mate's Iranian and love all his family too.

June 15, 2018, 10:16:12 PM
Reply #13

Bluedylan

Morocco look a good side.

June 16, 2018, 03:20:04 AM
Reply #14

Bluedylan

That's what sets Ronaldo apart from the others. Nobody else could do that in that situation.

Four minutes to go

3-2 down against your neighbours

At the world cup

On a hat trick

There is no equal

Nah, Messi's better than him.