October 22, 2020, 05:14:06 PM

Author Topic: Marcel Brands to Join Everton  (Read 102775 times)

October 07, 2020, 01:12:37 AM
Reply #1380

Dr. Sponge

Theres always blurred lines with a DoF's role, but I imagine it's to:

1. Come to an agreement with the manager on first team signings
2. Get the best deal possible for those signings
3. Get the best deal possible for outgoing transfers
4. Find appropriate loans for young talent
5. Recruit the right young players

He seems to have hit all of these this summer, except maybe number 3.

October 07, 2020, 01:32:25 AM
Reply #1381

NickNack

Think both will play a decent part this season.

My biggest issue with brands previously has been that weíve not built a group of players that complimented each other. Feels we now have a proper team and I think a lot of players who didnít do well previously will do very well now
I didnít think they were what we needed last season, but they maybe make more sense now? Iím not sure either are first team regulars but both are capable of coming in and doing a job - as was Davies against Brighton.

October 07, 2020, 03:08:42 AM
Reply #1382

Jamokachi

The fact itís taken 3 years to shape the team shows the absolute mess Walsh left us in.

Pretty sure it was a 3 year projection when he started too, so heís fully on track.

Hope we tie him down to a new contract, because it definitely feels as though thereís more to come. Excited to see where this project goes.

October 07, 2020, 03:12:32 AM
Reply #1383

Toddacelli

The fact itís taken 3 years to shape the team shows the absolute mess Walsh left us in.

Pretty sure it was a 3 year projection when he started too, so heís fully on track.

Hope we tie him down to a new contract, because it definitely feels as though thereís more to come. Excited to see where this project goes.

Can't see him going anywhere before the new stadium and our current upwards trajectory could mean he stays a lot longer.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 07, 2020, 03:58:55 AM
Reply #1384

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think the fact that the longer he is here the better we are getting is a very good sign.

I don't love that the players we are most pleased about are the end of the age scale ones who feel more the manager's choice, and I would rather there was slightly more obviously investment upside type players getting picked up - although Nkounkou looks a find and a half.

BUT! We dunno what the score is. Maybe they decided together fuck it lets just level up now and do the rest of it later when we've binned the garbage in a year or so.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 07, 2020, 04:24:08 AM
Reply #1385

Waltzer

I think there is a tendency to over inflate things, all the 3 years plan blah blah blah is pure fiction. The fact is we've got a manager that can attract the very best players and that's what's paned out and the results are there to see. If we had Silva in charge still we wouldn't have recruited James or Allan I can guarantee and they are the catalyst in this, alongside Carlo, not some 3 year plan in the making

Brands takes credit for getting the deals over the line at what seems to be a really good price and on reasonable contacts, which is really good. He also gets credit for any involvement in recruiting Carlo?

As others have alluded to I think his work starts now, if he's retained, and it's bringing through people like Godfrey, Nkounkou etc etc to supplement the players Carlo has identified.
Brands came in at a difficult time, but it's arguably even harder now due to the calibre of player required to make a difference, but good issues to have.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

October 07, 2020, 04:26:46 AM
Reply #1386

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Haha how is there not a plan?! Theyíre in a multi-billion pound industry lolol

Oh my word. lolol

October 07, 2020, 04:32:17 AM
Reply #1387

Cereal Killer

Heís on the board? I assume heís staying for a while

October 07, 2020, 06:26:01 AM
Reply #1388

Jamokachi

I think there is a tendency to over inflate things, all the 3 years plan blah blah blah is pure fiction. The fact is we've got a manager that can attract the very best players and that's what's paned out and the results are there to see. If we had Silva in charge still we wouldn't have recruited James or Allan I can guarantee and they are the catalyst in this, alongside Carlo, not some 3 year plan in the making

Brands takes credit for getting the deals over the line at what seems to be a really good price and on reasonable contacts, which is really good. He also gets credit for any involvement in recruiting Carlo?

As others have alluded to I think his work starts now, if he's retained, and it's bringing through people like Godfrey, Nkounkou etc etc to supplement the players Carlo has identified.
Brands came in at a difficult time, but it's arguably even harder now due to the calibre of player required to make a difference, but good issues to have.

One of the biggest loads of clap-trap I've had the pleasure of reading in the many years I've been around this place. Well done.

October 07, 2020, 06:34:10 AM
Reply #1389

Sixx1402

Clap trap!! Not heard that in ages!! Great saying lol

Sent from my Tesla EMP capable prototype mega phone (bollocks) using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Ahh.....Boucheenie i presume

October 07, 2020, 02:51:11 PM
Reply #1390

Waltzer

Haha how is there not a plan?! Theyíre in a multi-billion pound industry lolol

Oh my word. lolol

You're misiterpreting what im saying, im not saying there wasnt a plan, but I dont believe the upturn in form is the fruition of that plan. The upturn in form is Carlo and the players hes able to attract.
Its not meant as a critisism of Brands as essentially it shows hes adaptable as hes clearly deveated from his own plans to recruit this type of player at this stage in their career.
Football, as in life, is about maximising the opportuities that present themselves and he has contributed to that. We struck gold in getting Carlo and realistically most Evertonians and football fans wouldnt have thought that was a possibility a few years ago, I still pinch myself now that we have him. We've invested in him and what he can bring and thats whats paying off. As mentioned Brands has done amazing to get the players Carlo identified for a good price, but I genuinely dont think this was all part of his plan as nobody could have really forseen this happening imo. I do think he still has a plan and players like Nkoukou, Branthwaite, Godfrey etc play into that, but its us maximising Carlo that has propelled us to the next level

October 07, 2020, 05:53:12 PM
Reply #1391

Undisputed_blue

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Arguably, Doucoure and Richarlison are Silva players and they've made a big big difference to the Everton team. The direction of travel, in terms of transfers, has been really good over the past few years compared to the Walsh era. I fully agree with Jamokachi earlier post on this very point.

I just hope we can start targeting youngsters with huge potential to replace the deadwood in our squad.