April 16, 2021, 12:58:03 AM

Author Topic: Marcel Brands to Join Everton  (Read 155841 times)

penguinofdoom1878 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

April 09, 2021, 01:45:00 AM
Reply #1815

cantoffee

One thing with Brands is lots of the signings have been fine but I don't think he's had a stand out signing that has blown us away.

James sure, but that is Ancelloti.

Could use a player he brings in for 20 million or so becoming near CL level quickly. Those types of wins are worth a lot with the supporters and frankly with the players as well.

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

April 09, 2021, 03:08:09 AM
Reply #1816

ajax_andy

Re the bold part: I thought the whole idea of a DoF was he recruited players to suit a system so that there was continuity when the coach / manager or whatever he’s called left or is sacked. The job of the coach is then to get the best out of those players. This is where we (ie the club) seem to have missed the boat on the whole director of football thing..  Unless of course my idea of a DoF is muddled up

Yeah as already stated, this remit is waaaaay off what a dof does unfortunately.

I like the idea but to put it in practice would be practically impossible

April 09, 2021, 04:11:22 AM
Reply #1817

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah as already stated, this remit is waaaaay off what a dof does unfortunately.

I like the idea but to put it in practice would be practically impossible

What IS the remit for a dof if this isn't it?

If you asked me what I expect from a DOF I would think something like what @NickNack  wrote tbh.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 09, 2021, 12:43:54 PM
Reply #1818

ajax_andy

What IS the remit for a dof if this isn't it?

If you asked me what I expect from a DOF I would think something like what @NickNack  wrote tbh.

To assist the manager and source players for him, plus some oversight in youth development structure and practices.

What you or anyone else might wish a DOF was doing isn't really relevant to those in charge at the club.  They do what is required as per their remit from their employers.

Brands seems very much to do the following:
- identify under 23 prospects for the future.
- identify young players who hopefully can contribute now (Godfrey / Kean).
- Identify domestic players who can slot in right now that meet what the manager has requested.

I believe he also has some dealings in regards finding clubs to sell / loan existing squad members to.

He also oversees the youth team setups to a degree I think, albeit I think we've all expressed a desire for him to have a greater power here.

I'd say that's a pretty standard DOF remit.  Stuff the manager and chairman don't get involved with.  This idea that the DOF sets a style of play and finds managers to always just slot in to is is pie in the sky, especially when a club has a chairman who clearly likes to pursue big name managers. 

April 09, 2021, 01:00:12 PM
Reply #1819

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
There are two things here. The role of a DoF and the role that Brands is playing and what a few of us have been saying is that Brands isn't doing the role as a few of us see it being performed.

The way it's been described above is basically Steve the glorified scout Walsh with a few youth responsibilities.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:01:22 PM by Cassius »

April 09, 2021, 01:05:42 PM
Reply #1820

ajax_andy

There are two things here. The role of a DoF and the role that Brands is playing and what a few of us have been saying is that Brands isn't doing the role as a few of us see it being performed.

The way it's been described above is basically Steve Walsh with a few youth responsibilities.

No what's being said is Brands should impliment a blue print for managerial appointments.

It's massively flawed because of the below scenario.

Marco Silva (4-2-3-1) gets sacked.  The best managers available and interested are:

Eddie Howe (4-2-3-1)
Naaglesman (3-5-2)
Ancelotti (4-3--3).

In the scenario listed it would require us to appoint Eddie Howe over the other two because he plays the same system as our previous manager, instead of just appointing the best manager.

It's ludicrous.

* Managers just a random example and formations may or may not apply to their actual way of playing.

April 09, 2021, 01:34:31 PM
Reply #1821

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
No what's being said is Brands should impliment a blue print for managerial appointments.

It's massively flawed because of the below scenario.

Marco Silva (4-2-3-1) gets sacked.  The best managers available and interested are:

Eddie Howe (4-2-3-1)
Naaglesman (3-5-2)
Ancelotti (4-3--3).

In the scenario listed it would require us to appoint Eddie Howe over the other two because he plays the same system as our previous manager, instead of just appointing the best manager.

It's ludicrous.

* Managers just a random example and formations may or may not apply to their actual way of playing.

I think what I'm trying to say is that Brands isn't really being given a remit in his DoF role to carry it out in the way that would allow him to do a lot of these things.

From your list above, we went with Ancelotti who normally favours 4-4-2 but is known as a manager who doesn't necessarily have a set style way of playing.

April 09, 2021, 02:02:57 PM
Reply #1822

ajax_andy

I think what I'm trying to say is that Brands isn't really being given a remit in his DoF role to carry it out in the way that would allow him to do a lot of these things.

From your list above, we went with Ancelotti who normally favours 4-4-2 but is known as a manager who doesn't necessarily have a set style way of playing.

We don't really know fully what he does though.  Did Moshiri consult him over appointing Ancelotti? It seems unlikely but in reality he may well have done.

I think we all have an ideological view of what we'd like him to do, but I'd imagine what he does is pretty standard for a DOF, but with it being such a behind the scenes role it's hard to know what they do as standard across many different clubs and leagues.

April 09, 2021, 02:26:12 PM
Reply #1823

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
We don't really know fully what he does though.  Did Moshiri consult him over appointing Ancelotti? It seems unlikely but in reality he may well have done.

I think we all have an ideological view of what we'd like him to do, but I'd imagine what he does is pretty standard for a DOF, but with it being such a behind the scenes role it's hard to know what they do as standard across many different clubs and leagues.

Yeah that's the reason we're having this discussion - none of us really know what his remit is.

April 09, 2021, 02:41:55 PM
Reply #1824

Waltzer

Yeah that's the reason we're having this discussion - none of us really know what his remit is.

I think he had the autonomy to make and recommend signings, he went out and spunked 27 million on Iwobi and that was soon rescinded, now hes just rolled out in his suit for signings until his contract expires

April 09, 2021, 02:47:36 PM
Reply #1825

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He signed Doucoure and Godfrey.

Both were his players. He wanted Godfrey for a while.

He can spot players and make good signings, just hasn’t made enough of them.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 09, 2021, 03:07:29 PM
Reply #1826

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think there's quite a bit of confusion or disagreement around the role isn't there.

Not helped by how the club have actually gone about it either tbh. Eg. Adding him to the board (??) But also not letting him pick any managers (??) And switching from one style of manager to the next in an insane manner.

But they're not just there to identify players. Not by a log shot.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 09, 2021, 03:26:15 PM
Reply #1827

penguinofdoom1878

Looking at the article from the Echo yesterday, there are some things we wanted to happen actually doing so.

Marcel Brands can take a forward step in his Everton clear-out plans this summer with 13 players out of contract at senior and under-23 level. Director of football Brands has been tasked with lowering an inflated wage bill since arriving.

In the previous u-23 game against Arsenal last month - a 1-1 draw at Southport - the average age was slightly over 19, while on the opening day of the season it stood at 21.

Its been said numerous times on here the U23's are too old. Players like Simms, Gordon & Branthwaite all getting loan time at the right age instead of being in the U23's side, also one of our biggest complaints on here. So some progress at least, I guess these things take time. More so when dealing with the slow moving oil tanker that is Everton Football Club.

April 09, 2021, 03:35:58 PM
Reply #1828

ajax_andy

And none of us will regardless of the discussion is my point.  He probably does dozens of things we have no idea about, but people focus on the fact he doesn't pick the managers etc, which is probably not even that common a thing to do as a DOF.  And for all we know he may actually be having massive input in to this anyway. 

April 09, 2021, 10:02:28 PM
Reply #1829

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
Does anyone still have the Jobs section of the Echo from when we were advertising the position?

Bound to be a 'Roles & Responsibilities' type job description in there.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates