August 14, 2022, 08:00:54 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 417404 times)

May 18, 2018, 03:07:55 AM
Read 417404 times

Outworlder47

Quote from: Toffee1
(Justin Kluivert)
He's one of Mino Raiola's clients isn't he? Wonder if the Brands connection could get him here?

Potentially. Was apparently about to be sold to Spurs for 20M at the same time the Davinson Sanchez deal went through, but he rejected it as Ajax didn't inform him until the last minute. Apparently considering Roma and at least some of the top clubs in England.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 04, 2018, 03:40:16 AM
Reply #1

Outworlder47

Possibly there watching Marcelo Brozovic who's a creative midfielder which in my eyes is the first position we need to fill now that wazza's doing the off and lalso losing barkley

Brozovic is a box-to-box type that can create. Very good player, if Inter would be willing to let him go. Duje Caleta-Car could have been another, young CB who had a really solid season with RB Salzburg.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June 15, 2018, 05:49:29 AM
Reply #2

Outworlder47

Teamtalk has us linked to Sean Clare 21 year old from Sheffield Wednesday

Would be a free transfer after the end of the month, though the signing team will likely owe Wednesday compensation for his youth development. Predominantly right-sided central mid, but doesn't have much match time under his belt. 1 goal in 9 apps two seasons ago in a half-season loan to Accrington Stanley in League Two, 1 in 7 for Gillingham last fall in League One before returning to Wednesday, 1 in 5 before an ankle injury ended his season.

Was apparently headed for Villa before their financial woes ended that. Seems like Celtic and Rangers are both after him now, as are Wolves, and that's probably his level right now.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

July 26, 2018, 10:37:12 AM
Reply #3

Outworlder47

Intresting that other teams aren't in for him then.

Deportivo was relegated on the back of the worst defensive record in La Liga, averaging an even 2.00 goals against per match. At Hoffenheim, they did finish 4th two seasons ago, but he made 6 appearances (only played the full 90 in the opening match), lost his place to the point he wasn't making the bench, got hurt, then never even saw the bench again. The previous season when he was a more regular feature for Hoffenheim, they finished 1 point ahead of the relegation playoff. The fact that he is a mainstay for the Swiss side is more due to them not having anyone better, as even when he wasn't playing at Hoffenheim he started for Switzerland.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

July 28, 2018, 03:43:38 AM
Reply #4

Outworlder47

I already like the second bloke for some reason although I've never seen him.

╔verton Soares. Decent goalscoring record in Brazil. Primarily a left winger recently but can play anywhere across a front three. 22 so still plenty of room for improvement, but I'd be curious if a work permit exception could be carved out. He's uncapped at youth level for Brazil, so unless he's got an EU passport hiding somewhere it might be difficult. Lazio was linked somewhat tenuously to him for 5M Euros or so toward the conclusion of last season, but nothing so much recently. Questionable hair, though...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

August 07, 2018, 02:30:50 AM
Reply #5

Outworlder47

To answer my own question he's 26 and has played for Lille 22 times in 7 years...

Not true here--a lot of the online resources are behind. 28, 27, and 14 appearances in Ligue 1 the last three seasons. Did miss good portions of last season through an Achilles injury then subsequent ankle issues (not sure if connected). By some accounts he was one of the lone bright spots as Lille avoided relegation last term.

Good in the air, relatively comfortable with the ball. Apparently we were interested in January before he picked up an ankle knock and missed several weeks. Came back and wore the captain's armband once at the end of the season, for whatever that's worth.

And he's also got this in his locker:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

August 09, 2018, 07:55:55 AM
Reply #6

Outworlder47

I think you are quite right but still hasn┤t been linked to any strikers. Tosun, Niasse, DCL - thats just not good enough for a top 7 place.

Sure it is. While goal difference is a better marker of expected performance than goals scored, GS is still pretty good. It takes about 60 goals on average to get 7th, in recent PL history.

The average PL team received 1 own goal and converted 4 PKs. Let's separate those out.

Figure your defenders are good for 5 goals combined from open play and free kicks/corners. This could be Baines directly, Coleman cutting in off the right, a CB from a corner, or whatever else you fancy. Last year was a bit of a down year in that regard due to a combination of injuries and setup, but I'd expect a bounce back. Especially with a Mina or another similar threat from set pieces.

Say 5 goals from Sigurdsson, and another 5 from your other midfielders (Gana, Davies, Schneiderlin, N.E. Other). Up to 20 goals, still need 40.

Tosun averaged 1 in 3 last year for Everton, after hitting about 0.75 goals/90 minutes at Besiktas. We'll give him 12.
Richarlison scored 5 for Watford, but his performance was indicative of between 9-12. With an offseason plus more talented folks around him, we'll give him 10.
Walcott's typically been about 1 in 3, but has a checkered injury history. Let's say 8, as he plays about 24 games per season on average.
Niasse won't have nearly the impact, I think, this term. Calvert-Lewin is healthy, and I'd expect him as a frequent sub to run at tired defenders. 7 goals between them, maybe?
Bernard is a wild card. 3 goals.

That's your 60 goals, without a big stretch. Sure, we'll absolutely have to tighten up at the back from what we've seen in preseason so far, but there's certainly goals in the team.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions