November 30, 2020, 08:58:28 PM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 215738 times)

October 23, 2020, 06:47:13 PM
Reply #2745

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
All about opinions I know, but for me an out of form Gomes is still a far better option / player than Davies and Delph.

I don't know how bad he has to be for us to change it but he must be close now.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 23, 2020, 07:09:10 PM
Reply #2746

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Easily to both for me

Davies comes with all the problems Gomes does without the glimpses of quality.

Think he could be coached into a better overall player over time, but the last two seasons from Davies have not been good at all.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 23, 2020, 07:29:53 PM
Reply #2747

kramer0

Davies comes with all the problems Gomes does without the glimpses of quality.

Think he could be coached into a better overall player over time, but the last two seasons from Davies have not been good at all.

No one's saying Davies has played well the past two seasons.

It's a new team and everyone deserves a chance to show what they can do, especially when players ahead of them are out of form.

Also, he doesn't offer the same problems. Davies runs faster, defends better, and plays quickly in possession. The trade off is that he's sloppier with the ball but it's alright when the guy who's supposed to be assured is being sloppy as well.

October 23, 2020, 07:38:23 PM
Reply #2748

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
No one's saying Davies has played well the past two seasons.

It's a new team and everyone deserves a chance to show what they can do, especially when players ahead of them are out of form.

Also, he doesn't offer the same problems. Davies runs faster, defends better, and plays quickly in possession. The trade off is that he's sloppier with the ball but it's alright when the guy who's supposed to be assured is being sloppy as well.

Do we not allow Gomes a chance with the new manager, especially after his injury?

I dunno, people have been banging the Davies better than Gomes drum since he arrived, including myself, but he hasn't shown it. .

He does offer the same issues imo. Slow off the ball, careless on it, not creative, gives away silly free kicks and the numbers seem to back it up, but there's better scope to become a better player with Davies.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 23, 2020, 07:49:27 PM
Reply #2749

kramer0

Do we not allow Gomes a chance with the new manager, especially after his injury?

I dunno, people have been banging the Davies better than Gomes drum since he arrived, including myself, but he hasn't shown it. .

He does offer the same issues imo. Slow off the ball, careless on it, not creative, gives away silly free kicks and the numbers seem to back it up, but there's better scope to become a better player with Davies.

He gets all of the chances.

Thatís what Iím complaining about.

October 24, 2020, 12:20:18 AM
Reply #2750

ajax_andy

All about opinions I know, but for me an out of form Gomes is still a far better option / player than Davies and Delph.

I'm with you here, Gomes isn't a bad player and brings qualities to the team Davies in particular never does.  Delph can be decent but also unreliable fitness wise, so you'd not pin your hopes on him being a regular which you can with Gomes.

People need to remember it can take a long time to come back from an injury.  Pre-bad injury Jagielka was a supreme player, took him 2 years to get back to being anywhere near what he was before it... Let's give Gomes a little time at least before making him the latest boo boy.

October 24, 2020, 03:49:59 PM
Reply #2751

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
He's not the latest boo boy at all. He's just been placed in a midfield which consists of Allan and Doucoure so by direct comparison we are seeing in games what each of them offers and we get far more from the other two.

It's like being proud of your classic Royal Blue B-reg Mk1 VW Golf with white alloys. You spend Sunday morning cleaning and valeting it, finishing with a great polish and shine. Then you take her out for a spin in the afternoon. You decide to stop off at Tesco for a pint of milk. You have a four-pinter in the fridge that you've only just started, but it's more about being seen getting in and out of your sweet VW baby.
So you put on one of your old pulling shirts, your fake Ray-bans (called Raydans - £2.36 off Wish with free shipping) and off you go.
To your delight, there are plenty of people in the car park because Tesco is having one of those fun days with a bouncy castle, balloon arch and more single mum's than you're allowed to shake your stick at.
You get your milk and on your return to the carpark, you see that people are gathered around and some are even taking photos! You're excited but almost a little embarrassed at how much attention is on your pride and joy. You make your way over, start excusing your way through the throng and then you realise - parked on one side is a 1963 Corvette Stingray in Royal Blue with a white scoop for contrast. On the other side is a 1967 Camaro SS in Royal Blue with white racing stripes.

What once looked so shiny and new has been put in the shade by the proximity of something superior. It's death by juxtaposition.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 24, 2020, 07:00:29 PM
Reply #2752

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
He's not the latest boo boy at all. He's just been placed in a midfield which consists of Allan and Doucoure so by direct comparison we are seeing in games what each of them offers and we get far more from the other two.

It's like being proud of your classic Royal Blue B-reg Mk1 VW Golf with white alloys. You spend Sunday morning cleaning and valeting it, finishing with a great polish and shine. Then you take her out for a spin in the afternoon. You decide to stop off at Tesco for a pint of milk. You have a four-pinter in the fridge that you've only just started, but it's more about being seen getting in and out of your sweet VW baby.
So you put on one of your old pulling shirts, your fake Ray-bans (called Raydans - £2.36 off Wish with free shipping) and off you go.
To your delight, there are plenty of people in the car park because Tesco is having one of those fun days with a bouncy castle, balloon arch and more single mum's than you're allowed to shake your stick at.
You get your milk and on your return to the carpark, you see that people are gathered around and some are even taking photos! You're excited but almost a little embarrassed at how much attention is on your pride and joy. You make your way over, start excusing your way through the throng and then you realise - parked on one side is a 1963 Corvette Stingray in Royal Blue with a white scoop for contrast. On the other side is a 1967 Camaro SS in Royal Blue with white racing stripes.

What once looked so shiny and new has been put in the shade by the proximity of something superior. It's death by juxtaposition.

You put so much effort into this post I had to give it a like.
NSNO's CGO. Chief GIF Officer (self-promoted).

October 24, 2020, 09:45:13 PM
Reply #2753

Toddacelli

NSNO Subscriber
You put so much effort into this post I had to give it a like.

Yeah, thanks.

Tricky poo this morning. Took a while.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 24, 2020, 09:51:01 PM
Reply #2754

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, thanks.

I've definitely extended my 'loo time in order to finish a post. lolol
NSNO's CGO. Chief GIF Officer (self-promoted).

October 24, 2020, 09:57:14 PM
Reply #2755

sam of the south

Yeah, thanks.

ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

October 24, 2020, 10:02:35 PM
Reply #2756

Old England Toffee

Post Song challenge Gomes with his foot facing the wrong way is a better option than Delph.

October 25, 2020, 01:19:42 PM
Reply #2757

stirlingblue

I do think at some point we have to give Davies a go with the new midfield around him, comparing his last seasonís form with Gomes now isnít a fair comparison.

I agree with Brap that Daviesí downside is being sloppy in possession, but given Gomes is already doing that then I donít see what he offers ahead of him in this form.

Iíd also add that Davies looking sloppy in possession probably had something to do with our players previous desire to hide from the ball and he may look better with teammates actually showing for it.

October 25, 2020, 05:08:05 PM
Reply #2758

Juanito

I donít think the injury can be underestimated, I do rate him but would like Delph to start and perhaps see Gomes be eased in a bit more. When he came to us he wasnít given any rest period and was burnt out even before the injury. 

October 25, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
Reply #2759

stirlingblue

I don't think the injury can be underestimated, I do rate him but would like Delph to start and perhaps see Gomes be eased in a bit more. When he came to us he wasn't given any rest period and was burnt out even before the injury.

I grudgingly accept him as a backup for injuries but I donít understand why anybody would knowingly want Delph to start.

Best case is he looks better than Gomes and makes his way into the first 11 only to be injured 2 games later and weíre back to Gomes. If weíre going to give him a break then we need to try Davies and see if heís worth keeping with better players around him, if not then we need to move him on and bring in another young talent to rotate.