December 03, 2020, 01:18:43 AM

Author Topic: So, Who's Happy then?  (Read 9076 times)

November 13, 2020, 01:35:12 AM
Reply #210

Bluedylan

I think to think about the level of stress you have to think about expectations vs achievements, and that's why (I would say) we're such a stressy fanbase, very much myself included.

Teams like Brighton, Palace, Fulham, Burnley and that ilk of club might be closer to relegation more often than not, but they don't have anywhere near our expectation level. In a lot of ways we still see ourselves as a big club with a very proud and long tradition, and so our inability to meet those expectations for a long, long time have led to us being massively stressy as a fanbase.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

November 13, 2020, 03:30:07 AM
Reply #211

KoemansNumberTens

I think to think about the level of stress you have to think about expectations vs achievements, and that's why (I would say) we're such a stressy fanbase, very much myself included.

Teams like Brighton, Palace, Fulham, Burnley and that ilk of club might be closer to relegation more often than not, but they don't have anywhere near our expectation level. In a lot of ways we still see ourselves as a big club with a very proud and long tradition, and so our inability to meet those expectations for a long, long time have led to us being massively stressy as a fanbase.

I don’t think we have any expectations. We might think we should be competing but any idea that we are actually capable of it only surfaces every few years and is quickly shown to be daft. We moan about the wasted opportunities but really our matches and in the main our whole seasons are without any real stress or meaning. We’ve probably had about 3 seasons in the last 20 where we were a part of that seasons story. The 5th with Martinez. The 4th with moyes (actually that might be it) and ultimately even them stories were short lived as we instantly reverted to type. There’s no great stress supporting Everton. Just plodding nothingness. Not sure there’s another team like us. Everyone else seems to have either had a combination of relegations and promotions and times where they’ve massively outperformed expectations or have genuinely been a top team competing amongst the best sides in europe.