October 30, 2020, 01:17:39 AM

Author Topic: Yerry Mina  (Read 8639 times)

September 16, 2020, 10:56:46 PM
Reply #45

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Surely thatís not right. It doesnít sound right. Not even sure if youíre joking never mind if itís true

Got 19 in 50 apps (13 in the league) in 90/91

September 16, 2020, 11:00:47 PM
Reply #46

Toffee_4_Life

Got 19 in 50 apps (13 in the league) in 90/91

I was still very young then but do remember Bruce playing. Did he take Pens at that point or have I completely mis remembered that?

September 16, 2020, 11:53:45 PM
Reply #47

74Blue

Surely thatís not right. It doesnít sound right. Not even sure if youíre joking never mind if itís true
Have you seen the size of Steve Bruce's fucking head? It wouldn't surprise me if he scored them all from corners with his feet still on the half way line, the fucking fat headed fucker.

September 17, 2020, 12:39:18 AM
Reply #48

KoemansNumberTens

I was still very young then but do remember Bruce playing. Did he take Pens at that point or have I completely mis remembered that?

Donít think heís ever taken penalties?

September 17, 2020, 12:42:41 AM
Reply #49

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

Probably in all games including CL etc. No way he got 20 prem goals in a season.

Edit: It was 19. 13 in the prem and 6 in other comps. And most from the penalty spot.

https://dispensablesoccer.com/top-5-absolutely-absurd-scoring-records/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:44:56 AM by blargins »
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

September 17, 2020, 12:46:02 AM
Reply #50

Toffee Tuesdays

Koeman has ridiculous goal scoring stats. Not sure how much of that was in midfield vs defense though

September 17, 2020, 12:48:15 AM
Reply #51

Toffee1

NSNO Subscriber
The West Ham fullback, Ray Stewart had a pretty good amount of goals for a defender, mainly penalties though.

September 17, 2020, 01:30:16 AM
Reply #52

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
If Yerry took our penalties he might double his goal tally from last season.

September 23, 2020, 08:03:09 PM
Reply #53

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Athletic article

Yerry Minaís default setting is a wide grin and laid-back manner; taking things in his stride.

Itís an outlook which has served him well on his journey thus far, from Bogota to Brazil and then Barcelona, and has also made him a big hit on Merseyside, where he is a popular figure in the Everton dressing room. But even Mina could have been forgiven for a frown and moment of concern on Saturday evening.

While his team recovered from a shaky start to blow 10-man West Brom away, Carlo Ancelotti was not all praise and plaudits afterwards. Everton conceded the first goal of the game and it left few in royal blue covered in glory: from James Rodriguez and Andre Gomes to Mina and Jordan Pickford. But itís Mina who, on closer inspection, perhaps disappoints the most, backing off the rampaging Grady Diangana and allowing the West Brom man space and time to try his luck.

ďYerry had an average game, I think he could be more aggressive and do more with the ball,Ē said Ancelotti afterwards, once he had finishing waxing lyrical about his teamís attacking. ďThe only aspect we have to look at is him being more aggressive when he can press the opening.Ē

Itís hardly tearing Mina, who turns 26 today, apart but it was an unusually blunt assessment from the Italian. Itís also a fair one.
Mina was brought to Everton for £27 million in the summer of 2018 on the back of an eye-catching World Cup with Colombia. His aerial presence in both boxes and stout tackling brought him to the attention of a host of clubs who were aware that Barcelona were prepared to sell. Evertonís director of football Marcel Brands admitted to dismay when Mina scored against England during that tournament, concerned others may gazump his pursuit of the defender.

(Photo: Alex Pantling/Getty Images)
In the end he got his man, but Evertonians have yet to see consistent evidence of the player Brands was so eager to capture. So far his form has been patchy. Mina has good games, he has poor games, he gets injured.

Almost a year ago, Ancelottiís predecessor Marco Silva was praising the Colombian in his programme notes before the home game against newly-promoted Sheffield United. In return, Mina scored an own goal and was partly culpable in the build-up to the visitors scoring their second goal in a 2-0 win. Itís characteristic of his inconsistency so far.

Headers of the type he squeezed past Pickford during that World Cup have been few and far between, even if heís always a threat from set pieces, but itís the flaws highlighted by Ancelotti that cause more concern. He would benefit from more aggression and decisiveness, both in snuffing out danger and seizing the opportunity to start the play, if heís to avoid more uncomfortable critiques from his manager.

Against West Brom it was Minaís defensive partner Michael Keane who attempted more passes and completed more of them successfully. It was the same story at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on the opening weekend too. It is on the turn, in particular, when fast opponents are running at him, that Mina seems vulnerable.

The reality is that Mason Holgateís absence owing to a toe injury suffered at the end of pre-season, which could see him sidelined for another 10 weeks or so, offers Mina a big opportunity. When Holgate is fit, Evertonís current first-choice central defensive partnership is the 23-year-old and Keane, who recently signed a new long-term contract extension.

Holgate might not have the same towering presence as Mina but he is more mobile, as good at reading the game and increasingly better at playing the ball forward through the opposition press. Itís a quality Ancelotti prizes highly and no doubt something he might have expected to see more of from a player with Barcelona on his CV.

For now, Everton remain on the hunt for another centre-back, to boost what was already a thin quota of defenders even with the promise of 18-year-old Jarrad Branthwaite. After the teenager was also injured in the Carabao Cup win over Salford City last week, the urgency to bring in a defender on loan only intensified.

As it stands, Evertonís interest in Chelseaís Fikayo Tomori seems to have cooled. Frank Lampard used the 22-year-old against Liverpool, and Tomori would likely want a move that guaranteed him more playing time; something Everton could not necessarily promise with everyone fit.

That leaves them looking at both ends of the age scale: younger defenders from European clubs who want to come and be involved in the Premier League, or older ones who wonít complain if theyíre not playing every weekend.

There is little over a fortnight of the window remaining. But given the type of loan Everton are looking at, the window for Mina to really convince should be open a bit longer.
He just needs to start seizing it.
Simply simply lovely

September 23, 2020, 08:26:46 PM
Reply #54

velimski

11 of Bruce's 19 were pens.

September 23, 2020, 08:28:24 PM
Reply #55

cantoffee

I think that's a pretty fair assessment so far.

Although I found that I preferred him and Holgate together as opposed to Holgate and Keane.

I don't think we will see Mina and Keane together often with Holgate fit as they are both vulnerable to pace and players with more mobility, especially if we are playing on the front foot more often this year with a higher line.

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

September 23, 2020, 08:57:13 PM
Reply #56

Old England Toffee

Athletic article

Against West Brom it was Minaís defensive partner Michael Keane who attempted more passes and completed more of them successfully. It was the same story at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on the opening weekend too. It is on the turn, in particular, when fast opponents are running at him, that Mina seems vulnerable.

The reality is that Mason Holgateís absence owing to a toe injury suffered at the end of pre-season, which could see him sidelined for another 10 weeks or so, offers Mina a big opportunity. When Holgate is fit, Evertonís current first-choice central defensive partnership is the 23-year-old and Keane, who recently signed a new long-term contract extension.

Holgate might not have the same towering presence as Mina but he is more mobile, as good at reading the game and increasingly better at playing the ball forward through the opposition press. Itís a quality Ancelotti prizes highly and no doubt something he might have expected to see more of from a player with Barcelona on his CV.

For now, Everton remain on the hunt for another centre-back, to boost what was already a thin quota of defenders even with the promise of 18-year-old Jarrad Branthwaite. After the teenager was also injured in the Carabao Cup win over Salford City last week, the urgency to bring in a defender on loan only intensified.

As it stands, Evertonís interest in Chelseaís Fikayo Tomori seems to have cooled. Frank Lampard used the 22-year-old against Liverpool, and Tomori would likely want a move that guaranteed him more playing time; something Everton could not necessarily promise with everyone fit.

That leaves them looking at both ends of the age scale: younger defenders from European clubs who want to come and be involved in the Premier League, or older ones who wonít complain if theyíre not playing every weekend.

There is little over a fortnight of the window remaining. But given the type of loan Everton are looking at, the window for Mina to really convince should be open a bit longer.
He just needs to start seizing it.

Its so refreshing to read informed journalism about us, for years Ive been reading stuff that just makes you think they've never watched us or their idiots or both.

Happy birthday to the big man, whilst we are still not all 100 percent convinced by his ability, his personality and heart cannot be questioned. And everyone talks about the pull of Carletto but sure this fella played a big part in James becoming a toffee.

September 23, 2020, 09:14:05 PM
Reply #57

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
I think that's a pretty fair assessment so far.

Although I found that I preferred him and Holgate together as opposed to Holgate and Keane.

I don't think we will see Mina and Keane together often with Holgate fit as they are both vulnerable to pace and players with more mobility, especially if we are playing on the front foot more often this year with a higher line.

Sent from my SM-G970W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

Holgate & Mina were by far our best pairing last year. But then Holgate & Keane were really coming on post-lockdown. One thing's for sure. Mina & Keane are by far our worst pairing.
NSNO's CGO. Chief GIF Officer (self-promoted).

September 23, 2020, 09:19:55 PM
Reply #58

Toddacelli

Holgate & Mina were by far our best pairing last year. But then Holgate & Keane were really coming on post-lockdown. One thing's for sure. Mina & Keane are by far our worst pairing.

Holgate is the special sauce then!

Back 3 with Holgate in the middle for the wheels and Mina and Keane aggressively attacking anything down their side? Anyone?

I'll get my coat.

The only thing worse than only having 3 fit CB's is probably playing them all in every game until one gets injured and you have to shuffle the entire outfield team, mid-game, to accommodate changes! :)

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 23, 2020, 10:17:34 PM
Reply #59

markB

I really don't get all the fuss about Yerry we need better defenders we all can see that and for me he would be the one to ship out I can only see him getting slower every season . I hope he has a good year and we can get a few quid for him but we are never going to get were we want to be with him