October 22, 2020, 03:35:24 PM

Author Topic: So, Who's Happy then?  (Read 5436 times)

October 07, 2020, 05:44:01 AM
Reply #150

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We'll very rarely see it because Carlo won't have us defending on the halfway line.

They're managed by a fella that's coached the best defenders of the last twenty years, not someone who's managed Alex Bruce and Craig Cathcart.

Keane is developing into a very good centre half now, so is Holgate and Mina has been consistently good.

Maybe they looked bad in parts because they were playing in a bad team that offered them no protection? Now they're looking better because they're playing in a good team that doesn't leave them exposed.

With Godfrey thrown in I think we have one of the best collection of centre halves in the league now.

Certainly don't think you'll be seeing us ship five goals this season like city, United and Liverpool already have.
Oh ffs. That final paragraph.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

October 07, 2020, 06:31:00 AM
Reply #151

Jamokachi

Post lockdown we were absolutely dreadful like, but we did manage to pull some results out.

I'm not saying like we could get R worded or anything but we've certainly been in R word form with these exact players in recent memory, right? And they are the same players?

What, do we all think that all defensive issues are gone do we and we'll never see Micheal Keane stranded in no man's land with a ball clipped over his head again?

I know you're not suggesting the big R, but I think it's a stretch to say the defenders we have are capable of showing "R form"... or put it more like this, the system(s) we now employ won't allow for that. I guess all players are capable of R form if they play in a rubbish system...

October 07, 2020, 06:32:19 AM
Reply #152

Jamokachi

Interesting the very, very deep line we're playing at set pieces when the entire rest of the league are playing very high lines. Particularly noticeable against Spurs and Brighton.

October 07, 2020, 09:28:40 AM
Reply #153

Ramjam

Interesting the very, very deep line we're playing at set pieces when the entire rest of the league are playing very high lines. Particularly noticeable against Spurs and Brighton.
I noticed that, it enables our defence to attack the ball when it gets delivered into the box rather than having to turn first and back peddle before challenging when facing our own goal. I think it makes a lot of sense

WE ARE THE PEOPLE

October 07, 2020, 01:01:42 PM
Reply #154

Old England Toffee

Mina should be coming into his prime and I think he bloody well is, time to adapt, learn english etc... this year hes gonna shine, inspired by his countryman, getting in the goals, and the dancing is worth 6 or 7 points a season(disclaimer you dont actually get points for dancing in football). Holgate 3 or 4 years younger which is a lot of human defender years, this season will be interesting watching him, hes come a long way the last few years with some unmanagers. Kenny I am yet to be convinced by, but again with decent coaching we will see if he can Cafu with the big boys. We've seen that if Carlo really doesnt think someone is up to scratch then you know about it (yes you theo), so maybe he sees enough promise in Kenny.

October 07, 2020, 01:35:21 PM
Reply #155

Toddacelli

We’ll very rarely see it because Carlo won’t have us defending on the halfway line.

They’re managed by a fella that’s coached the best defenders of the last twenty years, not someone who’s managed Alex Bruce and Craig Cathcart.

Keane is developing into a very good centre half now, so is Holgate and Mina has been consistently good.

Maybe they looked bad in parts because they were playing in a bad team that offered them no protection? Now they’re looking better because they’re playing in a good team that doesn’t leave them exposed.

With Godfrey thrown in I think we have one of the best collection of centre halves in the league now.

Certainly don’t think you’ll be seeing us ship five goals this season like city, United and Liverpool already have.

Exactly this. For a CB like Keane who doesn't rely on pace, positioning is everything. Being in the right place at the right time - even having the right body position when possession is lost or a pass is played can mean the difference between comfortable and stranded. Formation, tactics and how well drilled the players around him are will all affect how we judge what he does, which isn't always a fair account if he's where the manager has asked him to be.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 07, 2020, 03:25:27 PM
Reply #156

Cods

Disclaimer you dont actually get points for dancing in football
Then what do you call what James does around his many markers? :)

October 07, 2020, 03:56:30 PM
Reply #157

Cods

Formation, tactics and how well drilled the players around him are will all affect how we judge what he does, which isn't always a fair account if he's where the manager has asked him to be.
Just like Gylfi.
Or any of the others that have so mysteriously improved with complete players and an experienced manager around them.

October 07, 2020, 03:57:53 PM
Reply #158

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Oh ffs. That final paragraph.

To be fair we'll have the titlewrapped up in March so I can see us putting the kids out for a few games.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown