November 25, 2020, 02:31:28 AM

Author Topic: Expectations for the season  (Read 7880 times)

September 27, 2020, 04:04:12 PM
Read 7880 times

ajax_andy

3 wins from 3... Including 2 away wins in London.  We've a number 9 scoring for fun, and a new mental strength not seen  for a long time.

So what are your maximum and minimum expectations for the season based on what you've seen so far?

For me it's:

Max - Top 4
Min - Top 6

If we could win a cup along the way that'd be even better, but I'd take a decent show in both cups with the improved league positions as it'd show a good level of progress.

I think our team and squad has slightly less quality than Chelsea and Man U, but we have a far better manager and no Europe to sap our energy... Top 4 could well be within reach and I expect us to at least challenge for it based on our opening to the season.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:05:32 PM by ajax_andy »

September 27, 2020, 04:12:15 PM
Reply #1

sam of the south

If we can avoid injuries and/or burnout to our best players, I would be ecstatic with Top 6, and going deep in the cups.

The main thing for me is to be a side that continues to create good goalscoring opportunities, whilst being stingy at giving them up at the other end.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

September 27, 2020, 04:17:20 PM
Reply #2

markB

Will see after the window shuts

September 27, 2020, 04:26:45 PM
Reply #3

Dr. Sponge

Our first 11 looks really strong, and the fringe players have put in a few good performances in the cup so we're in a position we couldnt have imagined last season.

But let's not forget what we're up against. Squads on paper:

The shite and City will have the top 2 sewn up again.

Then the next tier of quality down there's United, Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal (purely because of Aubameyang).

Then after that theres Leicester, Wolves and, in my opinion, us.

Spurs seem in a bad place, but they have Kane, Son, have just signed Bale and have 39 midfielders.

United have a very good squad, although they're suspect defensively and Ole is shite.

Chelsea have quality all over the pitch, but Lampard is still cutting his teeth.

Wolves and Leicester looked excellent last season, aside from Leicester implosion towards the end, so it's not easy to even get Europa league.

Realistically, if we continue with this momentum and sure up at the back then I think we have a big chance of a cup.

In the league though, all things considered:

City
Shite
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
United
Wolves
Leicester

That's where I rate the top 8 this year on current showings and signings.

September 27, 2020, 04:32:01 PM
Reply #4

TSGun

My only expectation is that this season we're not involved, at any time, in any discussions revolving around relegation zones.
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all. The needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before.

September 27, 2020, 04:47:32 PM
Reply #5

stirlingblue

Our first 11 looks really strong, and the fringe players have put in a few good performances in the cup so we're in a position we couldnt have imagined last season.

But let's not forget what we're up against. Squads on paper:

The shite and City will have the top 2 sewn up again.

Then the next tier of quality down there's United, Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal (purely because of Aubameyang).

Then after that theres Leicester, Wolves and, in my opinion, us.

Spurs seem in a bad place, but they have Kane, Son, have just signed Bale and have 39 midfielders.

United have a very good squad, although they're suspect defensively and Ole is shite.

Chelsea have quality all over the pitch, but Lampard is still cutting his teeth.

Wolves and Leicester looked excellent last season, aside from Leicester implosion towards the end, so it's not easy to even get Europa league.

Realistically, if we continue with this momentum and sure up at the back then I think we have a big chance of a cup.

In the league though, all things considered:

City
Shite
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
United
Wolves
Leicester

That's where I rate the top 8 this year on current showings and signings.

You’re massively overrating Arsenal there, Auba can’t get them top 6 on his own and their defence/midfield is worse than ours IMO

September 27, 2020, 04:48:56 PM
Reply #6

stirlingblue

Overrating Spurs as well, almost guaranteed mourinho will have a busy up with either Kane, Son or Bale

September 27, 2020, 04:54:50 PM
Reply #7

Mayor Farnum

Just to continue enjoying football again.
Still expecting ups and downs but the longer we keep the ups going the less the downs will affect us.
Ask yourself. "What would Lewis Hamilton say?"

September 27, 2020, 05:34:14 PM
Reply #8

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 27, 2020, 05:37:28 PM
Reply #9

Cereal Killer

Just enjoying sky sports news highlighting Chelsea are already 5 points behind league leaders Everton

September 27, 2020, 05:38:03 PM
Reply #10

velimski

Our current squad (and manager) would have been good enough to finish top 6 last season I think, when the likes of Arsenal and Spurs were changing managers and Chelsea were playing a bunch of kids and were under a transfer embargo.

Unfortunately those 3 teams will be stronger this season.

Don't think you can write off Leicester or Wolves either.

September 27, 2020, 05:51:42 PM
Reply #11

AllyBlue14

I think we'd be doing well to finish above any of the Shite, City, Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester or Wolves. Which is pretty depressing but I think it crystallises how bad we've been for the last few years.

It'd be nice to think we could pick off Leicester and Wolves and hope we could capitalise on one of the others having a bad season or just not being as good as years gone by. So on that basis, maybe 6-9. In the cups, with a favourable draw, we should be looking at the latter stages.

But I think I'd just prefer us to find a level of consistency and develop a 'we can beat anyone on our day' kind of confidence and see where they take us.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:53:21 PM by AllyBlue14 »

September 27, 2020, 05:54:43 PM
Reply #12

Robioto

7th minimum, 6th would be a huge success.

September 27, 2020, 05:55:04 PM
Reply #13

indiantoffee1975

Lets see where we are if and when we reach 60 points. This will be the aim for the season to get back into the Europa league.

Be nice to go back to Wembley for a cup final

September 27, 2020, 06:05:16 PM
Reply #14

ajax_andy

I think we'd be doing well to finish above any of the Shite, City, Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester or Wolves. Which is pretty depressing but I think it crystallises how bad we've been for the last few years.

It'd be nice to think we could pick off Leicester and Wolves and hope we could capitalise on one of the others having a bad season or just not being as good as years gone by. So on that basis, maybe 6-9. In the cups, with a favourable draw, we should be looking at the latter stages.

But I think I'd just prefer us to find a level of consistency and develop a 'we can beat anyone on our day' kind of confidence and see where they take us.

If we finish 9th with the signings we've made, the manager we have, and the start we've had to this season, I think I'll just give up on football tbh