November 29, 2020, 05:18:44 AM

Author Topic: Expectations for the season  (Read 8075 times)

September 27, 2020, 06:06:59 PM
Reply #15

Bluedylan

Too early to say for me, and not enough information to make a judgement (for us and other teams). One bad performance/result and a lot of the optimism would diminish.

Great start though. Would absolutely love to beat West Ham and Brighton this week. and go into the international break with a 100% record.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

September 27, 2020, 06:15:15 PM
Reply #16

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Think final positions are way too premature even if just based on the fact that not everyone has played 3 games yet.

Aim has to be c.60 points given got less than 50 last year.

September 27, 2020, 06:15:45 PM
Reply #17

ncstate4jpc

NSNO Subscriber
38-0-0 and two cups

September 27, 2020, 06:25:01 PM
Reply #18

74Blue

Rising with every passing week. Brilliant position to be in having the points already on the board. Can't complain at the start we've had with 3 straight league wins, 2 away from home where we couldn't buy a win last season. We just have to keep the momentum going now, keep picking up points and see where it takes us. At least one fucking derby victory this year though please Carlo. God knows we're long overdue one!

September 27, 2020, 06:47:58 PM
Reply #19

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Near cried watching and listening to this. Couldn't sum my mood up more perfectly.
I'm deffo one of the lads in the yard, looking around in amazement, starting to remember something long forgotten:

https://twitter.com/MarkDempsey_/status/1310152574641766401?

September 27, 2020, 07:04:17 PM
Reply #20

KoemansNumberTens

Just really enjoying being top. Obviously won’t last but it’s fucking lovely

In terms of the season. Honestly just being able to feel positive about the football we play and that we will compete is almost enough on its own. Be more than happy if we got 7th (so long as it came with a Europa place) and we were relatively close to some of the sides above us

Nice to be able to dream for more than that though. Nice to be talking about league cups and top 4 even if they are quite unlikely

September 27, 2020, 07:27:27 PM
Reply #21

Cozzie

Near cried watching and listening to this. Couldn't sum my mood up more perfectly.
I'm deffo one of the lads in the yard, looking around in amazement, starting to remember something long forgotten:

Warden norton is deffo a kopite.

September 27, 2020, 07:30:14 PM
Reply #22

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
League and League Cup double.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums
“Human progress has always been driven by a sense of adventure and unconventional thinking.”~ Andre Geim

September 27, 2020, 07:33:15 PM
Reply #23

Paddockoldie

Too early to call really. Going in to work and not hearing "What happened to your team at the weekend?" Will be nice. Tuning in with a genuine confidence of getting a good result is also satisfying.
I expect top 6 but have put a 10 on us winning the premiership... at 50/1 it's worth a punt.

September 27, 2020, 07:42:11 PM
Reply #24

sam of the south

Haha, where’s the rest of them?
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
Henry David Thoreau

September 27, 2020, 07:49:18 PM
Reply #25

American Evertonian

Our first 11 looks really strong, and the fringe players have put in a few good performances in the cup so we're in a position we couldnt have imagined last season.

But let's not forget what we're up against. Squads on paper:

The shite and City will have the top 2 sewn up again.

Then the next tier of quality down there's United, Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal (purely because of Aubameyang).

Then after that theres Leicester, Wolves and, in my opinion, us.

Spurs seem in a bad place, but they have Kane, Son, have just signed Bale and have 39 midfielders.

United have a very good squad, although they're suspect defensively and Ole is shite.

Chelsea have quality all over the pitch, but Lampard is still cutting his teeth.

Wolves and Leicester looked excellent last season, aside from Leicester implosion towards the end, so it's not easy to even get Europa league.

Realistically, if we continue with this momentum and sure up at the back then I think we have a big chance of a cup.

In the league though, all things considered:

City
Shite
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
Everton
United
Wolves
Leicester

That's where I rate the top 8 this year on current showings and signings.

I agree with this post as a whole. Two teams (Pool and City) are def in a league of their own.

I do find it interesting that after that there are 7 teams that are challenging for 2 CL and 1-3 Europa League spots. Teams like Spurs, Arsenal, etc will not be able to assume they will qualify for Europe every year anymore.
Are we there yet?

September 27, 2020, 08:27:59 PM
Reply #26

Waltzer

Still think 6th would be a great achievement. Started well but would easily be looking different, Spurs had chances to get more and West Brom took the piss for 30 minutes and were unlucky not to be a few up. Confidence can take you a long way and I don't think we should limit our aspirations, but a solid 6th would be good

Sent from my CLT-L09 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

September 27, 2020, 08:31:30 PM
Reply #27

TheTone

September 27, 2020, 08:34:34 PM
Reply #28

YankeeBlue214

NSNO Subscriber
Minimum expectation: 7th
Confident belief: 5th/6th
Amazing but doubtful: top 4

And 1 Cup, don't care which one as they each have personal merits for the club (both qualify for Europe, never won Carabao, FA more prestigious).

But outside of the tangible expectations, I simply expect to see fight in every game, resilience & bottle, and entertaining football.

Bonuses (not expected): DCL being in the running or even winning the Golden Boot, a +15 or more g.d., and James becoming the best signing of the entire summer transfer window.
NSNO's CGO. Chief GIF Officer (self-promoted).

September 27, 2020, 08:42:02 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Leicester proved last season how difficult it is to sustain a good run for a full season but if we can keep on winning matches then let’s just see how we get on as we go.

A cup and top 6 would be a great effort.