October 22, 2020, 04:34:15 PM

Author Topic: Ben Godfrey  (Read 20359 times)

September 30, 2020, 08:39:53 PM
Read 20359 times

WeimaranerBlues

Sky running with this morning £25m

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/12085909/everton-make-enquiry-for-norwich-city-defender-ben-godfrey

may be better if i put it in the transfer thread

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:27:15 AM by Gash »

September 30, 2020, 09:01:14 PM
Reply #1

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
We got dem dollar dollar bills y’all

September 30, 2020, 09:09:30 PM
Reply #2

bigmanbob

There's no way they'll loan him unless it's with an agreement at the end to buy him. You're more likely to pick up a loan from a premiership team for a squad player. Was this fella playign last year for them when they went down?  :-\
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:10:35 PM by bigmanbob »

September 30, 2020, 09:31:27 PM
Reply #3

Dr. Sponge

There's no way they'll loan him unless it's with an agreement at the end to buy him. You're more likely to pick up a loan from a premiership team for a squad player. Was this fella playign last year for them when they went down?  :-\
I raise you an Abdoulaye Doucoure & Idrissa Gana Gueye, from the relegation posse.

September 30, 2020, 10:44:12 PM
Reply #4

markB

as a 21/22 year old he got 30 Premier League games last year along side 2 other 21/22 year olds and any one of the other 2 CBs they played was not very good

paying £20m for 4th choice CB is not good if you look at it like that BUT paying £20m for a CB that will be at you club and PLAYING for a long time is a great move

6 foot and has real pace , can play as the DM sitter if needed right footed but plays well with both feet

quick defenders happy with both feet opens the door to 3 at the back

if we have the money I would get him over the line now above all over position we need bar GK

September 30, 2020, 10:49:17 PM
Reply #5

Heisenberg

Must admit can’t remember him but then again, there’s teams games that I will avoid unless playing the bigger teams. Looks good on youtube though so sign him up

September 30, 2020, 10:52:10 PM
Reply #6

markB

Sky running with this morning £25m

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/12085909/everton-make-enquiry-for-norwich-city-defender-ben-godfrey

may be better if i put it in the transfer thread

f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

September 30, 2020, 11:10:48 PM
Reply #7

Robioto

I was doing some reading on him last night (yeah, I'm fucking bored). This little extract was interesting from a Norwich City website/forum:

Ben Godfrey (2,646 minutes)

For a period literally the last man standing when Norwich City’s central defensive stocks reached emergency rations.

The powerhouse even had to go from game to game for a spell, limiting his training in between, to ease City through a particularly lean spell before a hernia operation followed the home hammering against Aston Villa.

Yes, Godfrey’s lack of experience and decision-making were exposed at the highest level.

But the 22-year-old should have been able to polish his craft alongside experienced, reliable partners on a regular basis.

That did not happen and as such the youngster was harshly exposed on occasion. But captaining the England Under-21s was a special personal accolade and given his age and homegrown status it was inevitable he would be touted with a summer move. Anyone who opts to purchase Godfrey is buying potential. He is a long way from the finished article.

Which is a tantalising prospect.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-premier-league-academy-feature-aarons-lewis-godfrey-cantwell-1-6783767

Also going by the forum itself, Norwich fans rate him very highly.

Sounds perfect for a 4th choice to be honest. He's also 6 foot 0, so would more than likely be backup for Holgate I would have thought, so it would be Keane / Mina and Holgate / Godfrey at the back in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:17:43 PM by Robioto »

September 30, 2020, 11:26:06 PM
Reply #8

Robioto

Some quotes from Norwich fans:

We CANNOT replace Godfrey with anyone in our squad, as NONE of our central defenders are even close to his level of ball playing ability and technique, nor his ability to move up into the midfield as needed.

...Godfrey is a good player. One of the best young defenders we've seen at this club. He's not an exceptional talent that would tempt a top six club to part with £50m. He's just not. It's not even debatable. £25m, up front, represents comfortably the second biggest fee paid for a Championship defender (behind £40m for Nathan Ake) and would be a very good deal for the club.

...but you have to remember that Godfrey has only played a season and a half professionally at centre back, so he is still learning his position. He made mistakes last season, but you have to consider:

a) He was offered little protection from a poor midfield and full backs who were often caught halfway up the pitch.

b) He was our only recognised centre back for a quarter of last season. The rest of the time, he was next to someone who was coming back from an injury.

It is also worth considering that he is the only 'crown jewel' who plays down the middle. The others are given a slightly easier ride, playing down the wings/in the opposition half. Their mistakes are rarely as costly.

Whilst it is true for all of the crown jewels, it is most important for Godfrey to play regular first team football - preferable in a team with a solid defence. Everton, Wolves or Leicester would be perfect for him, assuming he gets game time. ...

He has all of the attributes to be a top centre back: he is quick, strong and he's comfortable with the ball at his feet. He now needs to develop that 'John Terry' side of his game - things that come with experience. Centre backs don't usually peak until they're around 28, so he's got time on his side...

For roughly six weeks Godfrey was playing with a hernia injury - he wasn't training in the week and was only able to get through matchday with painkillers. Farke made it clear that Godfrey really shouldn't have been playing at all, but he had to as we didn't have any other fit centre backs available. Tells you a lot about Godfrey's attitude and mental strength.

October 01, 2020, 12:06:02 AM
Reply #9

Cozzie

Admittedly I hadn't even heard of him until the other day but he seems a great prospect.

I'd love us to also sign Max Arrons from Norwich but Colemans form means RB will be ok for another season.

He will have gone by then most likely but what a signing he would be.

October 01, 2020, 12:21:29 AM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

October 01, 2020, 12:21:46 AM
Reply #11

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

October 01, 2020, 12:29:57 AM
Reply #12

GrantyBoy78

Sounds like this has legs!

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

October 01, 2020, 12:31:22 AM
Reply #13

mikey_blue

Get him signed right up.

October 01, 2020, 12:32:23 AM
Reply #14

GrantyBoy78

I’m sure he was linked with a big European team, earlier in the window, but were put off by Norwich’s asking price.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums