November 25, 2020, 02:36:40 AM

Author Topic: Ben Godfrey  (Read 23644 times)

November 11, 2020, 06:04:38 PM
Reply #480

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I can see him playing dm but dropping in to make it a back 3 when we attack
Would allow both full backs to overload and more or less be a 343 if we use it correctly, rodriguez could drift in and play off dcl and Richarlison can do them for out to in late runs
Simply simply lovely

November 11, 2020, 06:41:53 PM
Reply #481

ajax_andy

Fulham is probably the game where we don't need to actually do this, I'd rather we moved James central as we should dominant the game.

Maybe Godfrey in there against Leeds though.

November 11, 2020, 06:56:14 PM
Reply #482

stirlingblue

It also gives the benefit of Godfrey getting game time, as we can't be splashing 25m on players to leave them rotting on the bench.

Not sure how often he's played there, but Holgate definitely worked ok there in the past

November 11, 2020, 06:56:45 PM
Reply #483

stirlingblue

Fulham is probably the game where we don't need to actually do this, I'd rather we moved James central as we should dominant the game.

Maybe Godfrey in there against Leeds though.

Leeds would be a bit of a baptism of fire given how much they press the ball in midfield

November 11, 2020, 07:05:58 PM
Reply #484

ajax_andy

Leeds would be a bit of a baptism of fire given how much they press the ball in midfield

True but we need a good win against Fulham to build confidence, which we have more chance of achieving imo with James centrally rather than Godfrey

November 11, 2020, 08:19:42 PM
Reply #485

bornblue88

On the face of it Fulham is an easier game so Id rather give Godfrey a game at dm there to see how it works. Or let him play cb and have mason in midfield. A clean sheet is a must in the next game

November 11, 2020, 09:07:54 PM
Reply #486

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I actually dug out this thread the other day to suggest that this was a good idea (little one needed a shit so forgot about it)

I think with his pace and defensive awareness he would do a job there on a temporary basis or as back up. I think with holgate getting fit he is unlikely to get much of a look in at CB.

I also though of him potentially playing in front of Coleman, similar to Coleman himself when he first started playing regularly. Might offer some protection down that right side and allow Seamus to push forward more. The risk with that though is he is naturally drawn inside.

I think if he isnt going to play his natural position then defensive mf would be an option for him. Hes got pace, can tackle and carry the ball forward too. A decent shout I think.

Apparently had played a fair bit there lower down the leagues, I remember elpivote saying he actually looked more promising as a DM.

Find it a bit hard to believe he's a 25m DM and we just didn't know it, but at least he's somewhat comfortable in that role.

Doucoure and Allan are putting in HUGE amounts of work at the moment, but it's a bit like having two Gueyes. Ball seeking missiles that don't care too much for position discipline or getting broke in behind.

You'd think a three of

Allan (press)   Doucoure (press & progress the ball)
            Godfrey (screen)

Would give a bit of solidify compared to

Whoever (nothing).      Doucoure (press and push up)
                  Allan (press and screen)

But personally I do think we'll see him go to a 442 again, go back to the well and start again. Cover space, cover the pitch, move in banks of 4, get clean sheets, build from that
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 11, 2020, 09:30:59 PM
Reply #487

Toffee_4_Life

Holgate in 6 would be another option. He plated midfield a few times last year and was our best passer while doing so!

November 11, 2020, 10:47:39 PM
Reply #488

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure why there's so many calls today for Godfrey to come in at centre mid. Theres one position I want to see this lad play and its centre back

We've pretty much got all our centre mid options available to us apart from Gbamin, including the 2 that we splashed like a combined 50m or whatever on in the summer in Allan and Doucoure. They are both still new to the team and settling in

Personally I think Richarlisons return to the side is going to put the shape back into our attack, will help out Dom and also take some of the focus off James anyway and as a result the team will just function better than it has the last few games

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:55:31 PM by Sir Stealth »
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 11, 2020, 11:18:24 PM
Reply #489

Waltzer

Not sure why there's so many calls today for Godfrey to come in at centre mid. Theres one position I want to see this lad play and its centre back

We've pretty much got all our centre mid options available to us apart from Gbamin, including the 2 that we splashed like a combined 50m or whatever on in the summer in Allan and Doucoure. They are both still new to the team and settling in

Personally I think Richarlisons return to the side is going to put the shape back into our attack, will help out Dom and also take some of the focus off James anyway and as a result the team will just function better than it has the last few games

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I'm not that keen on seeing him in midfield, bit I think it just highlights how highly rated most of that fit midfield are, and that most would rather see a centre back there, than the current options we have

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

November 12, 2020, 06:34:40 AM
Reply #490

Dr. Sponge

Godfrey would have been ideal for DM against Man U and the way they set up, but that's with hindsight.

I wouldn't be averse to him there against Fulham in a 433, although with Richarlison back I'd like us to revert to the lineup that won us the first 4 games because I dont see Fulham causing us too many problems.