January 21, 2021, 01:09:31 AM

Author Topic: Ben Godfrey  (Read 43082 times)

Silas and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

January 14, 2021, 08:03:02 PM
Reply #675

kramer0

I kind of want to see his mobile tank act in the midfield at some point.

Could be very useful for shutting down counterattacks through the middle.

No idea what his distribution would be like, though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:04:08 PM by kramer0 »

January 14, 2021, 08:16:57 PM
Reply #676

sam of the south

I kind of want to see his mobile tank act in the midfield at some point.

Could be very useful for shutting down counterattacks through the middle.

No idea what his distribution would be like, though.

Welcome 🤗
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

January 14, 2021, 08:25:21 PM
Reply #677

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be very surprised if we ever see him in midfield.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

January 14, 2021, 08:30:45 PM
Reply #678

Waltzer

I wouldn't want to. Don't think his passing or close control are good enough to work in a defensive midfield role. If you were the position you'd just set traps for him to recieve it, then pounce and you'd be bearing down the back 4 straight away

Sent from my CPH2025 using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

January 14, 2021, 08:36:27 PM
Reply #679

kramer0

Yeah, I donít necessarily think itíll happen.

I do want to see what it would look like if/when our midfield options are thin and lacking in defensive quality. He defends a ton of space and that can be leveraged in certain types of matches. It could also be a safer way for him to learn some of the nuances of defending centrally at this level.

With that said, if heís not good enough with the ball at his feet itís a total non-starter.

January 14, 2021, 08:39:39 PM
Reply #680

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah itís a no from me dawg

January 14, 2021, 08:41:26 PM
Reply #681

sam of the south

With that said, if heís not good enough with the ball at his feet itís a total non-starter.

It was supposed to be one of his main strengths, after recovery pace and sheer muscular beauty, according to reports & YouTube vids.
ďI went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.Ē
Henry David Thoreau

January 14, 2021, 08:49:54 PM
Reply #682

kramer0

It was supposed to be one of his main strengths, after recovery pace and sheer muscular beauty, according to reports & YouTube vids.

True, but there is a difference between playing with everything in front of you and playing after receiving the ball between the lines on the turn.

Iím just interested in seeing how we can continue leverage his obvious abilities in a way that doesnít hurt the team. He looks awkward at CB, clearly fourth choice there for me.

January 14, 2021, 09:22:35 PM
Reply #683

sam of the south

True, but there is a difference between playing with everything in front of you and playing after receiving the ball between the lines on the turn.

Iím just interested in seeing how we can continue leverage his obvious abilities in a way that doesnít hurt the team. He looks awkward at CB, clearly fourth choice there for me.

Yes on all of that.
Henry David Thoreau

January 14, 2021, 10:01:30 PM
Reply #684

ajax_andy

Blistering pace doesn't really help you in central midfield, especially when it takes a few yards for the after burners to kick in with him... Think we'd be wasting a key strength there by playing him in midfield.

January 14, 2021, 11:03:26 PM
Reply #685

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I've been quite surprised at how gammy he's looked on the ball, other than when charging with it.

Thought he'd be more Holgate than Jonah Lomu but here we are.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 15, 2021, 12:10:42 AM
Reply #686

BlueForYou

Still getting a tune out of our BG
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

January 15, 2021, 08:06:56 AM
Reply #687

howard1334

I think he'll probably continue to plug holes for the remainder of the season.  With the inevitable injuries, yellow card accumulations, red cards, and the like, he's going to continue to get game time. 

Next year I think we'll be when we need to really figure out his future role.

January 15, 2021, 01:07:58 PM
Reply #688

BlueNoseMike

I've been quite surprised at how gammy he's looked on the ball, other than when charging with it.

Do agree although a huge caveat to that is predominantly playing in an unfavoured left back role and being right footed. Sort of up against it if trying to be neat and tidy in that position

January 15, 2021, 03:51:31 PM
Reply #689

dazfrancis

Holgate's passing hasn't been great recently either, particularly at right back.

Plus it took Keane 3 years to turn into a passing centre half so I'm excited to see what he can do with a decent run at CB