April 16, 2021, 01:05:02 AM

Author Topic: Ben Godfrey  (Read 65028 times)

April 01, 2021, 03:48:56 AM
Reply #900

stirlingblue

It's time to pair him with Mina at CB in games we need to dominate.

When we have a lot of possession we have a lot of reliance on Keaneís passing ability, so unless something magical changes in the midfield I canít see Godfrey/Mina working in those games.

April 01, 2021, 03:52:27 AM
Reply #901

Bluedylan

Boothroyd's really poor isn't he?

He was complaining that the U-21 England job is the hardest job in management the other day, the charlatan.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

April 01, 2021, 04:45:16 AM
Reply #902

kramer0

When we have a lot of possession we have a lot of reliance on Keane's passing ability, so unless something magical changes in the midfield I can't see Godfrey/Mina working in those games.

We'd be trading Keane's passing for winning the ball higher up the pitch.

Worthy tradeoff for me. Our possession play is crap with or without Keane, why not just commit to closing the opposition down higher up the pitch and creating chances off of turnovers?

We have the athletes to get in our opponents faces and make them uncomfortable but undercut our ability to do so by dumping tons of minutes into the slowest players in the squad. Keane is always dropping off instead of holding his line or pushing up with the rest of the team, Gomes is a foul machine who can barely run, and Gylfi huffs and puffs but never gets anywhere near getting the ball back.

I'm fine with us not having much about us on the ball in the short term but we need to control space somehow and this seems like the easiest way to do it with the resources at our disposal. Teams can try to go direct to bypass it but I'll take my chances with Mina challenging everything in the air and Godfrey sweeping up behind him. Keep the opposition pinned in their own half for most of the match and our quality in attack or from set pieces will eventually tell.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:49:00 AM by kramer0 »

April 01, 2021, 06:31:34 AM
Reply #903

Paddockoldie

Teams can try to go direct to bypass it but I'll take my chances with Mina challenging everything in the air and Godfrey sweeping up behind him. Keep the opposition pinned in their own half for most of the match and our quality in attack or from set pieces will eventually tell.

Reminds me of the Degsy and the Rat days.... what a combo.

April 02, 2021, 02:49:40 AM
Reply #904

stirlingblue

We'd be trading Keane's passing for winning the ball higher up the pitch.

Worthy tradeoff for me. Our possession play is crap with or without Keane, why not just commit to closing the opposition down higher up the pitch and creating chances off of turnovers?

We have the athletes to get in our opponents faces and make them uncomfortable but undercut our ability to do so by dumping tons of minutes into the slowest players in the squad. Keane is always dropping off instead of holding his line or pushing up with the rest of the team, Gomes is a foul machine who can barely run, and Gylfi huffs and puffs but never gets anywhere near getting the ball back.

I'm fine with us not having much about us on the ball in the short term but we need to control space somehow and this seems like the easiest way to do it with the resources at our disposal. Teams can try to go direct to bypass it but I'll take my chances with Mina challenging everything in the air and Godfrey sweeping up behind him. Keep the opposition pinned in their own half for most of the match and our quality in attack or from set pieces will eventually tell.

Iíd fully support that approach, but it would take a full pre-season (maybe longer) to get the players on the same page and playing like that, so for this season it canít be the way forward.

April 09, 2021, 03:21:11 AM
Reply #905

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber

April 09, 2021, 03:24:05 AM
Reply #906

Bob Sacamano

April 09, 2021, 10:58:02 PM
Reply #907

Old England Toffee

God(frey) looking down at everyone from his cloud