October 21, 2018, 04:27:48 AM

Author Topic: Lozano  (Read 18016 times)

May 23, 2018, 03:11:29 PM
Reply #45

School of Science

Well I don't know for sure Juanito but I base my opinion on everything I hear and read in Mexico. If I'm wrong I will walk stark bollock naked down Everton Valley on a match day.

Remember to wear your sombrero amigo, just in case.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

May 23, 2018, 03:17:33 PM
Reply #46

Ramjam

You married Mr Universe??
Didn't know you knew Julie
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 23, 2018, 03:19:15 PM
Reply #47

sirblue57

Didn't know you knew Julie
Told me her name was wanda... and I always did afterwards
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

May 23, 2018, 05:17:00 PM
Reply #48

themilkycoffees

A lot will change with the world cup going on. Several players will really stand out and they will be the ones the Madrid and Barcelona will look at. Could be this guy  who knows.
Personally I feel Brands is here to pull rabbits out of the hat that no one has really heard of. I don't think he's gonna make a high end player particularly desire to play for Everton

Agreed. Hopefully that's what Brands will bring to the club. Lozano would be nice but I'd be surprised.

May 23, 2018, 05:50:12 PM
Reply #49

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Agreed. Hopefully that's what Brands will bring to the club. Lozano would be nice but I'd be surprised.

There shouldnít be too much emphasis on unknowns plucked from nowhere.

Thatís pretty unlikely in this day and age.

The main priority is finding players who fit the system.

That is the filtered by other preferences such as age/ budget etc.

May 23, 2018, 05:53:21 PM
Reply #50

Evertonian in NC

It's an absolute yes for me, even at ~£40-45M. Plays either wing, pace to spare, good bag of tricks in the locker. Cuts inside from either wing, can use either foot, not scared to head the ball either. He does more than just score, too--he was both PSV's leading scorer and leading assist man. Won the CONCACAF Champions League while at Pachuca, won the Eredivisie this season at PSV.

He's also, from all appearances, very humble and a hard worker. Very much an Everton-style attitude, would seem to be a good fit from that perspective.

Also, anyone with the nickname "Chucky" (or, equivalently, "muŮeco diabůlico" or "devil doll") gets extra points in my book. He'll be tormenting the USA for the next decade or more, and I don't really care because he's so much fun to watch.

You had me at "tormenting the USA"
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 23, 2018, 05:59:39 PM
Reply #51

themilkycoffees

There shouldnít be too much emphasis on unknowns plucked from nowhere.

Thatís pretty unlikely in this day and age.

The main priority is finding players who fit the system.

That is the filtered by other preferences such as age/ budget etc.

But those two things aren't mutually exclusive? A lot of Brands success came from plucking unknowns, who were suited to the system they wanted to play at PSV. Doesn't mean we can't sign proven players too.

May 23, 2018, 06:03:58 PM
Reply #52

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
You married Mr Universe??

No, Mr Muscle
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 23, 2018, 06:39:33 PM
Reply #53

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
But those two things aren't mutually exclusive? A lot of Brands success came from plucking unknowns, who were suited to the system they wanted to play at PSV. Doesn't mean we can't sign proven players too.

No but thereís an inference that most of, or the best of, the signings will be players most donít know.

I donít think thatís a good starting point re expectations as itís not likely.

You see examples quoted like he signed Mertens from Utrecht, which sounds mad if youíre thinking of Dries Mertens in 2018.

Itís not as mad when thinking that Iíd imagine most people in Holland knew who he was at that time as they know about the Dutch leagues.

As you say the approach is likely to include both.

But youíd be forgiven for thinking that we exclusively signed proven PL players under Walsh, when in actuality we didnít (Lookman, Vlasic, Sandro, Klaassen).

The issue was how many of the signings worked out or not (to date).

And thatís what Brands will (partially) be judged on.

My main hope is that they will be younger signings in the main, unless an exceptional player/ need pops up.

May 23, 2018, 07:05:50 PM
Reply #54

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Sticks in the craw but Liverpool model since Klopp.

Established stars in other half-decent leagues -
firmino, salah
Established stars in smaller teams - mane, VVD, Robertson

All under a certain age, all identified (through data) as having key attributes for the specific system (insane physical gifts, pressing, pace, goals...)
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 23, 2018, 08:04:22 PM
Reply #55

blue slug

firmino, salah

All under a certain age, all identified (through data) as having key attributes for the specific system (insane physical gifts, pressing, pace, goals...)

Its definitely the way we should be recruiting to, sound business model really

May 23, 2018, 08:13:32 PM
Reply #56

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

firmino, salah

They weren't exactly unknown gambles when they bought them[One of them being the most expensive defender in the world], and they were able to offer them a lot more than we currently are.
My momma says I'm special.

May 23, 2018, 08:30:15 PM
Reply #57

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
They weren't exactly unknown gambles when they bought them[One of them being the most expensive defender in the world], and they were able to offer them a lot more than we currently are.

Where did I say they were unknown gambles
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 23, 2018, 08:53:47 PM
Reply #58

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Where did I say they were unknown gambles

I didn't say you did.  I just made the point that they're not unknowns looking for a chance in the league, they were established players that were going to a team a level above what we can offer.  There's not one of those players we could have got at the time Liverpool got them - we'd need to be looking at getting them the step earlier.
My momma says I'm special.

May 23, 2018, 09:57:08 PM
Reply #59

van der Meyde

But youíd be forgiven for thinking that we exclusively signed proven PL players under Walsh, when in actuality we didnít (Lookman, Vlasic, Sandro, Klaassen).

The issue was how many of the signings worked out or not (to date).
Those four attacking players also pretty much encapsulate one of the biggest problems with recruitment under Walsh.

They might all prove to be decent players, but there doesn't appear to be a lot of coherent thought wrt how they fit in together going on there.